Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does tube selection really matter that much
Quote | Reply
I understand that tire selection can make a difference pants why I run Conti 4000 ll. But can tube selection really make a difference and if so how are we talking wait are we talking rolling resistance
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Butyl vs. latex matters. The key improvement is latex improves rolling resistance over butyl. But, there is not as strong an argument for brand of latex tube. I have Vittorias, and I like them. My main criteria was the removable cores in a good latex tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're referring to latex v. butyl, then yes, tube selection does matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I understand that tire selection can make a difference pants why I run Conti 4000 ll.

REI has a good selection of pants. That's were most of my cloths come from. Very good quality and return policy.

They also sell GP 4000's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running a butyl tube will add roughly 5 watts per wheel, 10 watts for both. For training, NBD, but it's quite a lot if you're going to be racing an Ironman.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Apr 26, 17 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question is, do they make latex tubes for these yet?
https://pbs-h2.twimg.com/.../C983fr3VYAA56Sx.jpg

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 26, 17 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I understand that tire selection can make a difference pants why I run Conti 4000 ll. But can tube selection really make a difference and if so how are we talking wait are we talking rolling resistance

did you just have an epiphany in your own post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes can save you a few watts per wheel. The benefit is in the weight not rolling resistance. You get better rolling resistance for a proper race tire such as the one you are using. The better rolling resistance of the tire also translates into watts saved so the combination of the two over the course of any distance does add up... free speed (well almost free) my friend. Also, remember for long course racing remember to take butyl tubes for back up. If you fill up a latex tube with CO2 it will lose its pressure relatively quickly. Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [skankyleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
Latex tubes can save you a few watts per wheel. The benefit is in the weight not rolling resistance.

No, the weights are a wash. The benefits to latex are lower rolling resistance and lower chance of flatting.
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weights are not a wash. The rolling resistance is comprised of the interface between the tire and the road and has nothing to do with what is inside the tire. Rotation weight is HUGE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
Weights are not a wash. The rolling resistance is comprised of the interface between the tire and the road and has nothing to do with what is inside the tire. Rotation weight is HUGE!

x2. It's the rotational weight savings.

Saying a tube cuts down on rolling resistance is like saying you'll get better gas mileage in your car if you run leather seats vs. cloth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:

Here is an article by Tom A. on the topic of wheel weight.

If you are using the word HUGE in the manor of the US's commander in chief, you are correct.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have lost your mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:

Umm...No.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
skankyleg wrote:

Saying a tube cuts down on rolling resistance is like saying you'll get better gas mileage in your car if you run leather seats vs. cloth.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
skankyleg wrote:

If you are using the word HUGE in the manor of the US's commander in chief, you are correct.

You should have combined that article with this one: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...in_a_tube__1034.html

...along with this one: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ling_events_226.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bestbikesplit.com is ridiculously accurate for all 3 of my ironmans, within a minute of predicted times.

The difference on their site between latex and butyl at my 200 watts for ironman texas was 3.5 minutes (latex being faster, of course...)
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Vincible wrote:
skankyleg wrote:

You should have combined that article with this one: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...in_a_tube__1034.html

...along with this one:http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ling_events_226.html[/quote[/url]]

I didn't feel like piling on ;)

Thanks for all you contribute here on ST. Fregit Et In Semita Speramus

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elitist Jerk wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
I understand that tire selection can make a difference pants why I run Conti 4000 ll.

REI has a good selection of pants. That's were most of my cloths come from. Very good quality and return policy.

They also sell GP 4000's.

I'm not sure why this was so funny to me, but I nearly choked on my coffee when I read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so if it is weight, versus rr, then why wouldn't everyone just use something like Specialized light weight butyl tubes? I looked at the lightweight butyl for comparison when I put my latex in and they weigh about half what a standard butyl tube does, although slightly heavier still than latex. Lbs was explaining, or at least trying to explain (over my head😂) rr and suppleness, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:

Michelin's "Ultralight" butyl tube (Aircomp A1 700) is 77 grams. Vittoria's latex tube weighs 82 grams. The latex tube is five grams heavier and still saves 3 watts in each tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
This is why we can't have nice things.

<<Like>>
Quote Reply
Re: Does tube selection really matter that much [Cmatthews7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmatthews7 wrote:
Ok, so if it is weight, versus rr, then why wouldn't everyone just use something like Specialized light weight butyl tubes? I looked at the lightweight butyl for comparison when I put my latex in and they weigh about half what a standard butyl tube does, although slightly heavier still than latex. Lbs was explaining, or at least trying to explain (over my head😂) rr and suppleness, etc.

Do you mean besides the fact that they're still slower than than latex tubes AND they are even MORE fragile (i.e. pinch flat even easier) than regular butyl?

Lightweight butyl tubes are one of those "worst of both worlds" type of product...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God I should proof read things.😐
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Cmatthews7 wrote:

Do you mean besides the fact that they're still slower than than latex tubes AND they are even MORE fragile (i.e. pinch flat even easier) than regular butyl?

Lightweight butyl tubes are one of those "worst of both worlds" type of product...

Well I seem to remember something like a latex butyl hybrid that was worse. Same Crr as a butyl tube, no weight saving, and more expensive. Definitely the worst of three worlds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next