Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does my hands swelling during IM marathon tell me anything?
Quote | Reply
So I didn't have a good marathon during IMLOU. Ran reasonably well for about 8 miles, then sort of bonked and walked it in. One clue during this happening was I noticed my hands/fingers were swollen. Is this a clue to what was happening at this time....i.e. dehydration, hyponatremia, etc.....just wondering if this is telling me anything?

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Does my hands swelling during IM marathon tell me anything? [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's one hand then.. Bee sting? If both then no idea.

One question that might be relevant is was this your first IM?
Quote Reply
Re: Does my hands swelling during IM marathon tell me anything? [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually a sign of a hydration issue but if it was after you started walking it could be physiological (the way you hold your arms and hands to run vs the way you hold your arms and hands to walk).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you took 'no outside assistance' too seriously
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to be a problem that affects 5-10 % of distance runners. Most commonly blamed on lack of salt and electrolytes and conversely on "too much" salt. It seems to be one of those things for which there several possible causes including (seriously) centrifugal force generated by the swinging of the arms while running.
There is a very good series of posts on the subject here:
http://www.ultrunr.com/handswel.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what was your fluid intake like during the bike per hour? What was your sodium intake like on the bike per hour?
It "could" be too much sodium causing excessive fluid retention.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had that issue happen at least twice or three times. All were hot half ironman races, 2012 Racine, Kansas and Vegas. I just forgot to research the problem. I am very curious to find out. And no it has no connection how you hold your arms. Silly. Imagine how swollen the feet would have been sitting that low. I am sure we will have a doc or two chime in here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious about this too as it happens to me quite excessively but ONLY during cold races. It's prominent enough where other people will notice. Only 50s and below though! I always thought not enough salt.
Quote Reply