Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Di2 Junction B internal? Drilling frame pitfalls and questions...
Quote | Reply
Well, thinking about it anyways. Don't want to order the di2 until I know if its feasible. Without having a discussion on frame drilling in general or whether I should just buy a new frame, etc., does anyone know the dimensions of the di2 internal b junction?

Looks like it would require three 5mm holes: One in the TT or DT, one in the ST for the FD, and one in the rear of the chainstay for the RD. The chainstay one already has a drain hole in back about 1.5mm wide, so I think enlarging that slightly would be the best bet.

In the bottom bracket area, the chainstay hole is large enough to fit the wire coming from the RD. The DT hole in the BB is about 1.5cm, and the ST hole in the BB is about 2-2.5cm.

Was planning on the standard routing with the internal B junction sitting in the DT, is the 1.5cm hole enough to get it in? If not, is there anything wrong with putting it in the ST assuming 2-2.5cm is enough? Looks like I can according to a GCN di2 install video I watched. Just have no idea how big the junction is. Though it makes sense that i the B has room for only two connectors side-by-side, and if each is 5mm, then it should perhaps fit into a 1.5cm hole...

It's a steel frame by the way with an English threaded BB.

Last edited by: mountaindood: Feb 10, 16 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know the dimensions of the Di2 Junction B internal? Drilling frame pitfalls and questions... [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SM-JC41

Length = 30.56mm
Width = 14.40mm
Height = 8.04mm
Weight 5g

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Feb 10, 16 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know the dimensions of the Di2 Junction B internal? Drilling frame pitfalls and questions... [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks a lot couldn't find this anywhere. So with the DT hole being 1.5cm in diameter, it is unlikely to fit at 1.44cm.

Any issues stashing the B junction in the seat tube instead of down tube? I would think not of course, but wanted to see if I was missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know the dimensions of the Di2 Junction B internal? Drilling frame pitfalls and questions... [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no mechanic but I have seen some pretty crazy Di2 installs on incompatible bikes. Basically as long as the wires you buy are long enough you can wire it up anyway you want. So long as you terminate the connections you'll be fine and by that I mean everything gets connected to everything with a wire.

EXAMPLE

Di2 External Battery behind your seat (2 hole would need to be tapped)
Junction A up front on your stem accepting wires from shifters and sending one wire along the top tube and going into the seat tube (1 hole to be tapped)
Junction port B in the seat tube placed with two way tape (or velcro)
wire running down the seat tube to FD and RD

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Feb 10, 16 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know the dimensions of the Di2 Junction B internal? Drilling frame pitfalls and questions... [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is really enlightening. Thanks a lot. Thinking about taking the frame to a machine shop and having them do the drilling. The di2 round grommets are 6mm, so I guess I would have them make three 6mm holes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:
Awesome, thanks a lot couldn't find this anywhere. So with the DT hole being 1.5cm in diameter, it is unlikely to fit at 1.44cm.

You'll be 1.65mm short of it fitting through. You might be able to selectively open up the hole with a dremel and get it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mountaindood wrote:
Well, thinking about it anyways. Don't want to order the di2 until I know if its feasible. Without having a discussion on frame drilling in general or whether I should just buy a new frame, etc., does anyone know the dimensions of the di2 internal b junction?

Looks like it would require three 5mm holes: One in the TT or DT, one in the ST for the FD, and one in the rear of the chainstay for the RD. The chainstay one already has a drain hole in back about 1.5mm wide, so I think enlarging that slightly would be the best bet.

In the bottom bracket area, the chainstay hole is large enough to fit the wire coming from the RD. The DT hole in the BB is about 1.5cm, and the ST hole in the BB is about 2-2.5cm.

Was planning on the standard routing with the internal B junction sitting in the DT, is the 1.5cm hole enough to get it in? If not, is there anything wrong with putting it in the ST assuming 2-2.5cm is enough? Looks like I can according to a GCN di2 install video I watched. Just have no idea how big the junction is. Though it makes sense that i the B has room for only two connectors side-by-side, and if each is 5mm, then it should perhaps fit into a 1.5cm hole...

It's a steel frame by the way with an English threaded BB.

You don't need to use a junction B, especially on a road bike.
Just use your ST- as the junction B.
1 Wire from the RD goes to one port of the Junction A 5 port box
1 wire from FD goes to one port of the Junction A 5 port box
1 wire from the battery goes to one port of the Junction A 5 port box
1 wire from the shifters to to one port of the Junction A 5 port box
1 wire from the shifter goes to the other shifter's 3 (2 remaining) ports.
This allows a tidy placement of the junction A externally at the FD or below the water bottle cage or even under the BB shell.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a real hack Di2 install externally and I can vouch that as long as everything is connected, it will work.

You just need one junction box with the little adjustment button on it. I used the tiny one with two wires that are supposed to go to shifters and a female port on the other side.

I did end up using a B-junction as a way to connect two male e-tube wires. Probably not how Shinano intended the system, but it's pretty clean and I only needed to connect the right shifter (1x11).

Get creative and one nice thing about internal is that you don't need to be as precise with the wire lengths. Good luck!

You could also save yourself the headache and just go with SRAM E-tap...

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know the dimensions of the Di2 Junction B internal? Drilling frame pitfalls and questions... [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all. This makes a lot of sense and is helpful. SO even the 5 port "A" could function as the B junction.

So the frame is bare, so what I did was make a "B junction" out of cardboard pieces. Same dimensions. Then attached some brake cables to it to stand in as the wires. It does NOT fit in the smaller DT hole, as someone mentioned. But does fit just fine in the seat tube with plenty of room to manuever it with four wires attached. But even if not, seems like based on what everyone is saying (and it makes common sense) that it really could go anywhere in the system. It fits perfectly fine into the DT where the DT attaches to the HT. So really, worse case scenario, I connect the A junction at the stem to the B junction at the DT/HT connection, then run 3 long wires from there to the Battery/FD/RD respectively.

So there are plenty of ways to tackle this if it goes unexpectedly.

Thanks for all the responses. Just put in an order for a 9070 kit, I'll find a machine shop this week to do the holes for me so I'm ready when the gruppo comes in.
Quote Reply