Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does anyone else take this chance?
Quote | Reply
Race a 70.3 with no bike repair kit and hope for the best?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [sacca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it would depend on how much I spent to enter the race. If it were an IM branded one then I'd take a spare, I want to finish the race and get my money's worth. If it were a local race that was cheaper then maybe not.

But personally I'd always carry a spare for a 70.3 race.

But the big question is with all the options out there for carrying flat kits in aero packages (behind the seat etc...) why wouldn't you?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sacca wrote:

Not totally crazy, especially if you use brand new tires, and maybe some sealant.

But you can stuff a flat kit up under your saddle, there is almost no penalty in doing so.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. In addition to the DNF, you might have a long walk in bike shoes. At that distance, the time it takes to fix a flat is pretty small and you can still have a good placing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost every 70.3 this season I raced without a repair kit... the only one i took it for was 70.3 worlds, so far no flats knock on wood.

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sacca wrote:
Me, kind of. I don't take a spare tube or any tools.
However, I have an Arundel Chrono Water bottle on my bike, which is essentially useless for water. I'm able to store two cans of fix-a-flat and a crack pipe inside of it for my tubular tires.
I figure if it takes more than that during a 70.3 then it just wasn't meant to be and I should call it a day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I did it was the only time I ever flatted at race.

It was local "B" race, I was doing it with a bunch of friends and testing my fitness so I didn't bum out. I got a replacement wheel, made my way back to T1, got in a short run, watched my friends finish and drank beer. When life give you lemons...

It really depends on what you have invested. Consider that, know the risks and deal with the consequences or else don't temp fate.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's virtually no drag penalty for at least a small flat kit under the seat. On my Trek Speed Concept it's in a draft box, so not drag penalty and I think at some yaw angles it makes the bike more aero. So i still carry a flat kit even in sprint races. Why not? I like to keep my streak of no DNF's ever, in any triathlon going.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sacca wrote:

Nope. Especially in a longer race where the risk is higher and the impact of a 5 minute tire change is much less.

That said, at a half last spring, I forgot to swap out my long valve stem tube for a shorty that would fit in my disc. Sat on the side of the road for 25 min asking people if they had a short valve stem tube with no luck. Finally had to put the tube in, and hope that I could inflate it and have it clear the frame sticking out the side of the wheel (which it did.)
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest the first two 70.3s i completely forgot the spare tube and remembered about it race morning setting up my bike. the only flat so far ive gotten in a race was at AG Nats and it was a slow leak that i didnt even notice until the next morning after the race...

-----------------------------------------------------
Check out my website/blog: http://www.macheetri.com
Infinit Ambassador: Use INFINIT-P29DC for $5.00 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, not for a 70.3. I carry a flat kit in a Dark Speed works bag so almost no real aero penalty. I used to stuff it under the saddle (Cobb Plus) but can't after I switched to an ISM TT saddle. I'd much rather lose a few minutes changing a tire than DNF because I tried to save a negligible amount of weight.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't need it until you do. Then you will really need it.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure you can, but you just gotta suck it up if you flat out there and have to wait for the wagon. I've heard it's very common to wait 20-30 minutes for one on most courses, if not longer. I personally would much rather change out the flat myself in half that time, being generous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

I'd rather have it and not need it compared to needing it and not having it.

The ironic part about my one flat during a race, my wheel was also damaged so the flat kit didn't do diddly poo for me. At least race support came through and swapped out my wheel ~12 minutes after flatting.

Quote | Reply
I'll add another reason for carrying a flat kit: courtesy

There's probably someone on course who will stop and lend you theirs, but then you are taking time from someone else's race.

Event organizers may have a sweeper van/truck that can take you back to transition, but it's better to save that for people who crash and those with irreparable issues (ex. broken seatpost, pedal axle, etc.)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also stuff a tube,co2, and tire lever under my saddle and tape it down. So simple. Even on a short distance race, why not have it just in case? It costs you nothing. Why not finish the race, at a minimum it can still be a good training day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with the "depends on your investment" crowd. A WTC brand 70.3 that I travel across country for? I'm taking a flat kit on that one. A local race I've done a dozen times with a course that passes within a mile of my house? Might consider going without.

That said, I have a small saddle bag under my seat with everything I need that lives there full-time. I'd really have to have a compelling reason to remove it. It actually more trouble for me to go without a kit than just leave it there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do, though part of hoping for the best is using new and good tires. I don't carry a spare unless it's an Ironman or a race where I'm trying to qualify for another race. I figure the aggravation of a single-digit chance of getting a flat tire is about equal to the aggravation of the fussing and rattling of carrying a spare the other 9X% of the time. And if I get a flat, I'll enjoy being the first back to the snack tent!

-Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I'll add another reason for carrying a flat kit: courtesy

There's probably someone on course who will stop and lend you theirs, but then you are taking time from someone else's race.

Event organizers may have a sweeper van/truck that can take you back to transition, but it's better to save that for people who crash and those with irreparable issues (ex. broken seatpost, pedal axle, etc.)

This was my thought as well. It seems a little irresponsible to head out on a 56 mile course unprepared to deal with the most basic mechanical problem. I don't want to be a drain on the races resources if I don't have to be.

I'm having a hard time understanding the advantage of going without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should never take them, and run Vitoria or conti supersonic with undersized butyl inner tubes at max pressure .... Also keep as far left as possible and if possible install the inner tube badly...
The more peeps on the side of the road the higher my placing... At that rate won't have to train any harder ... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye wrote:

That said, I have a small saddle bag under my seat with everything I need that lives there full-time. I'd really have to have a compelling reason to remove it. It actually more trouble for me to go without a kit than just leave it there.

Me too. Although it's worth revisiting the contents of said bag occasionally. Mine had two tubes that both managed to have leaks (training ride).

Best analogy? Swap out that condom in your wallet once every 6 months, just to be sure. :)

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why anyone would take that risk. My flat kit never leaves my ride.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would take that risk. My flat kit never leaves my ride.

I agree.

I used mine at IMLT last year.

Once one gets a flat, race is pretty much done. BUT, I sure want a finish and not a DNF next to my name.

Take out one water bottle and the flat kits weighs less.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't even really see the attitude in saying your race is done. You lose a couple minutes, but in a race as long as HIM/IM a lot can happen. I once had a shitty bike split (chain fell off 4-5 times). I got so mad going in to T2 thinking I had just wasted my day, and ran to a 4 minute PR. You never know, and it's not worth throwing in the towel with literally hours left to race.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone else take this chance? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I don't even really see the attitude in saying your race is done. You lose a couple minutes, but in a race as long as HIM/IM a lot can happen. I once had a shitty bike split (chain fell off 4-5 times). I got so mad going in to T2 thinking I had just wasted my day, and ran to a 4 minute PR. You never know, and it's not worth throwing in the towel with literally hours left to race.

I've done 14 IMs and my PR was the one time I had a flat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next