Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does a week off from training wreck you?
Quote | Reply
Haven't trained since last Tuesday. I'm hoping that I'll be ale to squeeze in a run tomorrow. Trainer Seth would be nice, but I'm hoping to sell my bike and FINALLY upgrade to something in the 21st century.

Anyone have any experiences with taking a week off training? I'm hoping that someone will say that a week isn't anything and I should be able to easily pick up where I left off. Right?????
Quote Reply
Re: Does a week off from training wreck you? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Does a week off from training wreck you? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you may feel awful and blocked up when you start back up but the real fitness you've gained over time doesn't evaporate in a week. Get the legs moving and heart pumping again and within a few days you'll be back on track and quite possibly feel very good if that week off followed a lot of solid training weeks in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they call that a taper. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call that a rest week. You might feel a little odd the first time out. If however, in a couple of weeks you find yourself feeling really good, it is a good indication that you should look at how long and when you rest. The older I get, the more important some off becomes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
I'm hoping that someone will say that a week isn't anything and I should be able to easily pick up where I left off. Right?????

Geeze Louise... 1 week is nothing. Nothing. It will have minimal effect on your performance. Hell, if you've been red lining it recently, it might even be good for you.

I've come back from 2-3 weeks off and felt fantastic because prior to that I've over-reached. Every 12 weeks or so I take a week off entirely just to be on the safe side.

I just don't understand why people are so scared of a little rest. It's consistent training over the long term that generates results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Haven't trained since last Tuesday. I'm hoping that I'll be ale to squeeze in a run tomorrow. Trainer Seth would be nice, but I'm hoping to sell my bike and FINALLY upgrade to something in the 21st century.

Anyone have any experiences with taking a week off training? I'm hoping that someone will say that a week isn't anything and I should be able to easily pick up where I left off. Right?????

You'll be fine. You may feel it more in the water than you do bike or running, but 1 week is nothing. Having that much rest may even help you in the long run. Turn it into a positive and get back to training!

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine. You aren't going to lose anything in a week. You may even come back feeling stronger. I know during heavy training my coach will schedule a very very light cross training week. Maybe like some golf or basketball, a little hiking etc.. Just something to mix it up and give your muscles an honest amount of time to fully recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've taken 3-4 days off on vacation and came back with the mindset that I lost everything. Actually, my legs felt quite fresh, and I was eager to get after some hard workouts.

Since then, I have been putting in some rest/low mileage days/weeks everyone so often to get myself ready for the hard stuff.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 week off from normal, working full-time job and triathlon training takes a few days to shake some rust off.

1 week off from a big block of extreme full-time triathlon training is barely noticeable. Except for the fact that the legs feel fresh and don't hurt so much.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only in our world is a week without workouts considered a big deal. You'll be fine. After you shake off the rust, you'll probably feel great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with Jack. Take 3-4 days to ease back into it and you should be fine (assuming you have been consistently training for months before hand).

If you are trying to just do something, even a 20 minute run is helpful. Don't blow off training, because you don't have an hour. Short sessions can help too, and they are better than nothing.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my best race after a nearly a week off, but I was pushing very hard all season and probably needed it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Trek 1000 (rain/snow/sleet/monsoon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, running and biking, barely any loss. Swimming however is whole other story.

But as quick as it is lost, it seems to come back just as fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be fine, but the first workout when you get back may not be stellar. I've had a week here thand there off the bike, mostly due to illness, and often the first healthy day back isn't pretty but day two is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of my best rowing performances were after unplanned weeks off (sick, travel, new girlfriend etc). I think it speaks to being chronically overtrained back then. the "bounce effect" was usually significant.

You'll be fine or even better than fine if you've been smoking it lately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're like me and most ST'ers...

Your body will thank you, but your brain will tell you that you are a lazy good for nothing. :-|

Wait a minute. I think I need a few days off. I'll schedule that in... say in a few weeks. Take a guess what I'll say in a few weeks.

I'm hopeless :-(

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Does a week off from training wreck you? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...did a quick 8 mile run yesterday and it felt good. Pushed a hair hard and legs feel it this am....but what a stress relief. Gonna TRY to get at least 30 min of running in daily and squeeze in a few swims until my new hike arrives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once took 6 days off of running and then PRd my 5k on a training run. Granted I have only been running a little over a year, you get the point.
Last edited by: Grindcore: Mar 13, 13 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Does a week off from training wreck you? [SpaceKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpaceKitty wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:
I'm hoping that someone will say that a week isn't anything and I should be able to easily pick up where I left off. Right?????

Geeze Louise... 1 week is nothing. Nothing. It will have minimal effect on your performance. Hell, if you've been red lining it recently, it might even be good for you.

I've come back from 2-3 weeks off and felt fantastic because prior to that I've over-reached. Every 12 weeks or so I take a week off entirely just to be on the safe side.

I just don't understand why people are so scared of a little rest. It's consistent training over the long term that generates results.

but I need to post my workouts on facebook!!

Wattie Ink Elite Team 2013/ Base Performance Ambassador 2011-Current
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm different then you all.

If I'm well-peaked, then definitely, a 1-week taper gives me best results for race day, no doubt.

However, if I'm not peaked out, I definitely notice the lag of a full week with no workouts. Most people say you have no effect, but I definitely notice a difference. It's not that I get particularly slow or weak, but my recovery time from a typical tough workout gets longer. It takes me at least 2 weeks to get back into similar form after taking a whole week off, and that's with pretty hard efforts over 2 weeks.

That one week often often does give me a 1 day "PR burst" effect on my first workout back, but I find that I suffer more and go slower on immediate subsequent days. Not a big deal for your "A" race where you hit it hard, then relax, but it's a big deal for me when I'm still in the process of training hard building both volume and intensity - a week off is a big hit to my system. I suffer through this every winter, where I end up taking at least a week fully off either for travel or for a cold (not flu) and I'm always horrified at how much ability I lose after that first day back.

I train a decent amount - I average about 10-12hrs year round but go up to 18 in the weeks before race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does a week off from training wreck you?

No!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mentally it sucks, physically it doesn't matter.

Quote | Reply
crolson24 wrote:
Mentally it sucks, physically it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I feel all kinds of out of sorts with my body DURING the week off, but am usually right back at it physically.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't you just have a baby, or am I confusing you with someone else? I'd be inclined to look at the week as more than just "off" and take into account the whole stress load if you are losing sleep etc.

As others have mentioned, a week off is not a huge deal at all. I know good cyclists who will take a week off on purpose once or twice a year and it seems to serve them well.

I had an internal injury that forced me to take about 4 months off, that was not good. A week is fine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next