Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane?
Quote | Reply
I was in the middle of an interval using paddles when a girl jumped in my lane. No biggie, but then she stopped me and told me that since we were now sharing that it's not proper to use paddles. Is this typical? All the years I've shared lanes, I've never heard this. I was doing freestyle not any type of stroke like butterfly or dolphin kick. Thoughts on this subject?

Last edited by: guppie58: Apr 15, 14 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No that is not correct. Do your workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen people gripe about paddles, but yeah, I'd say it's pretty uncool on her part.
All bets off if you're swimming your arms wide or otherwise erratically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? Who is she to tell you that? If you weren't obstructing her why not use paddles in your workout?

I'm very friendly with people but in this case i would have offered her to go in an other lane if she doesn't want me to use paddles in my workout especially if I'm doing nothing to obstruct other.

***BUT IF she is actually very pretty and friendly: I'll stop using my paddles ;)

-D
Last edited by: TriDav: Apr 16, 14 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my part, I don't have fins so my leg-only lengths are very slow. If it's really busy, I save it for the end and do it in the slow lane but that's the only way that I would modify anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was paddles not fins, but I understand what your saying. Our pool set-up doesn't have fast/slow lanes so I'd do fin workouts if just splitting lane.

She ended up changing lanes because I wasn't going to change, but as I swam my laps, I started to think maybe it is proper to remove them.

Quote | Reply
Swim team members somehow manage to circle swim with paddles, so I don't see any reason why she couldn't figure out how to avoid getting hit by yours. If you have a very wide stroke, then why did she want to share your lane in the first place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She was probably afraid of being clubbed. but there is no reason to change your workout unless you were doing butterfly.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gad a guy tell me. That once as well. I took off the paddles cause I wasn't sure. He was slow and bogged he down which posses me off.....so I put them back on.

Since then though I always ask if the person I am sharing with minds if I use the paddies. Mist of the time they are fine with it.....I am not a super swimmer but fast enough t hat most of the people I end up sharing with gave a solid swimming background and get the laddie/ workout thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was she above or below the Vicky Mendoza line?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guppie58 wrote:
I was in the middle of an interval using paddles when a girl jumped in my lane. No biggie, but then she stopped me and told me that since we were now sharing that it's not proper to use paddles. Is this typical? All the years I've shared lanes, I've never heard this. I was doing freestyle not any type of stroke like butterfly or dolphin kick. Thoughts on this subject?

I think that dolphin kick isn't stroke for which you would need paddles. Otherwise I dunno. I never use paddles.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

*diet coke comes out nose* Seriously, that is awesome addition here.

As for dolphin kick, no I don't use paddles for that I was just trying to head off questions about if I was doing anything like that.

Quote | Reply
You didn't really provide enough information to answer your question but in general the answer is yes, one should be considerate when sharing a lane. What kind of pool were you in? Gym pool with 5feet wide lanes?

And really, Why was it so important to you that you refused a not unreasonable request? Was it the way she approached you?
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
You didn't really provide enough information to answer your question but in general the answer is yes, one should be considerate when sharing a lane. What kind of pool were you in? Gym pool with 5feet wide lanes?

And really, Why was it so important to you that you refused a not unreasonable request? Was it the way she approached you?

There is no way that I would stop swimming with paddles because I started sharing a lane with someone. Me swimming with paddles has no bearing on the other person what so ever. I would tell her this and then continue my workout. This person is an idiot.
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were in the lane first, it's your choice. Someone telling me what to do would be responded to with a polite 'GFY', as I resumed my workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should not have had to take off the paddles.
If you were circle swimming, she could just pass you; and if you were splitting a lane side by side it definitely should not have been an issue.

You were there first, so it is likely that your workout would end sooner and she would have the lane to herself.
She also had the opportunity to select another lane, or wait for one to open.

Putting all that together... perhaps
1) she was just looking for an opportunity to talk to you and couldn't come up with anything (paddle joke anyone?) or
2) was trying to force you to quit early or
3) has such a sense of entitlement that you should have paddled her anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
I gad a guy tell me. That once as well. I took off the paddles cause I wasn't sure. He was slow and bogged he down which posses me off.....so I put them back on.

Since then though I always ask if the person I am sharing with minds if I use the paddies. Mist of the time they are fine with it.....I am not a super swimmer but fast enough t hat most of the people I end up sharing with gave a solid swimming background and get the laddie/ workout thing.

Were you wearing paddles when you typed this?
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [UMDRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UMDRunner wrote:
rhayden wrote:

Were you wearing paddles when you typed this?

lol.

Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

It was a lap pool with 'normal' lane width. I've never measured them. I didn't remove them because I was in the middle of my workout. Thus it was important for me to finish my workout.

Quote | Reply
Thinking about this, there are a number of things to consider.

1) is it that important that you use paddles in this particular workout.
2) if it allows your new lanemate the opportunity to be more comfortable, why not take them off.
3) are you a regular at this pool? Do you want a reputation as being unaccomodating?

I change workouts all the time when someone wants to share a lane. I'll stop doing full stroke fly in a IM set and switch to one arm fly, for example. Or I'll change my off times so I'm not blasting past them on a set of sprints.

I probably would have said something along the lines of "oh, I never heard of that. No problem, I'll take them off for today".

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gym pool or aquatic center? Certainly you see the difference. I am not against you, but if what you were doing made it impossible for her to do her workout then you weren't really sharing. If what you were doing had no effect on her and she was just being bitchy, well, then, yeah, sorry you had to deal with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think as long as you are generally considerate you just do your workout.... I've never had a problem sharing a lane with faster or slower people - the only time I've run into problems in a busy pool is when everyone is so far over the side of their lane that it gets a bit close to the lane next door. Nibody has ever asked me to change my workout - some people ask for the other side of the split lane, which is no skin off my nose and some people work hard not to swim directly alongside others but by and large not a problem.

We did have one guy jump in a few weeks back and declare himself 20 weeks our from an Ironman and getting fit and learning t swim - after a few sessions (he genuinely could not swim - not one length) a few of us (it is always the same 5-6 people) convinced him to reconsider as we were worried for his safety, and he's not been back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Gym pool or aquatic center? Certainly you see the difference. I am not against you, but if what you were doing made it impossible for her to do her workout then you weren't really sharing. If what you were doing had no effect on her and she was just being bitchy, well, then, yeah, sorry you had to deal with that.

YMCA pool. If my workout physically impeded her ability to share a lane I would accomodate. I'm not going to change my workout just to be social. I don't go to the gym to be social. I don't have enough time to be social.

Quote | Reply
I watch people swim and try to pick a lane with people roughly the same ability as me. I would never ask someone to switch what they're doing. Unless I was doing my obnoxious version of butterfly or my very slow breast stroke, I wouldn't feel compelled to change if someone asked me. I'll make room for anyone, though. In other words, I think the girl should have said, "Thanks, circle or split the lane?" ...and that should've been the end of her speaking role.
Quote Reply
Re: Does One Need To Change Workout WHen Sharing A Lane? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

OK, I remember this episode, however I don't recall what she looked like (Vicky Mendoza). Having said that, I disagree that the line is Linear. It should be more like exponential, in that the the craziness factor a man will tolerate goes up exponentially with hotness. As such, I'd put the hot factor on the x axis and the crazy factor on the Y axis...so as the hotness factor goes up in a linear manner, the craziness factor that men will put up with should be exponential. A posting of Vicky Mendoza's picture might rectify the entire situation and whether the usage of paddles in that lane was warranted or not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next