Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doctors: Vitamin D @35.60ng/ml should I supplement?
Quote | Reply
Hello folks!
My profile: male- 30year old- 5'11'' - 165lbs - fairly active lifestyle

Im feeling tired all of the time and with low energy for my workouts even after sleeping 8-10hrs avg/night. Decided to seek medical help and got blood tests done.

Vitamin D is a 35.60ng/ml the range for sufficiency is 30.3-100.0 thus I wonder if I should supplement it or just expose more to the sun.

HGB = 13.54g/dl
Na,k, Glucose, HDL,LDL all in normal range
Thyroid stimulating hormone inside range
PLT count at 195.7

Any help/advice would be much aprecciated.
Thanks!

Emmanuel,

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Doctors: Vitamin D @35.60ng/ml should I supplement? [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched a British medical program on TV recently where they did a comparative test between three small groups. One group spent a certain time each day in sunshine, another took supplements and the third ate a certain amount of fish known to provide good levels of vitamin D. Although not very scientific given the small number and the time taken (about three weeks), they found that each group obtained about the same benefit. Two of the participants who were actually vitamin D deficient before the test showed the greatest improvement. So, choose your poison as they will all be of some benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Doctors: Vitamin D @35.60ng/ml should I supplement? [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monsrider wrote:
I watched a British medical program on TV recently where they did a comparative test between three small groups. One group spent a certain time each day in sunshine, another took supplements and the third ate a certain amount of fish known to provide good levels of vitamin D. Although not very scientific given the small number and the time taken (about three weeks), they found that each group obtained about the same benefit. Two of the participants who were actually vitamin D deficient before the test showed the greatest improvement. So, choose your poison as they will all be of some benefit.

yea stop drinking and partying all night and get out in the sun :)
Quote Reply
Re: Doctors: Vitamin D @35.60ng/ml should I supplement? [Tri@PUR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The bigger question, did they check your iron and iron stores? Your hemoglobin result is at the bottom end for males of your age or potentially low depending upon that lab 'so reference range. That will contribute to fatigue.
Quote Reply
Re: Doctors: Vitamin D @35.60ng/ml should I supplement? [madonebug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

No Iron(Fe) check that I can see.

Lab reference range for HGB is 11.50 -16.50

http://www.easyendurance.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's on the low range for an athlete. I had similar problems late last year (although also low Ferritin) and supplemented D pretty heavily for ~ 4 months (also bought a happy lamp) Second time I had blood work done I was closer to 80, and felt/feel much better. (although Ferritin also improved greatly)

YMMV, but some people have a hard time absorbing Vit D even if they are out in the sun all the time.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would question the lab doing your work, I have never seen normal for adult males down to 11.5, even for adult females, that is typically considered on the low end. Did they do other testing? Most docs and labs run panels of sorts, you have half of your electrolytes listed, the other half is missing?

Here is a national reference lab, range doesn't go below 14.6.
http://ltd.aruplab.com/Tests/Pub/0040085

Vitamin D is on the low end, probably wouldn't hurt to supplement.
Last edited by: madonebug: May 7, 15 12:27
Quote Reply