Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races?
Quote | Reply
And will a hr strap paired to a 310xt work for a 910xt?

Looking to upgrade from one to the other...
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I wear my 910 on my wrist for the entire race, even if I wear a FS wetsuit. For the bike I use the 510 but its good to have the 910 multisport mode running on wrist as well, especically at long couse stuff imo

And yes, your HRM should pair with the 910 as long its ant+

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [speed856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speed856 wrote:
And will a hr strap paired to a 310xt work for a 910xt?

Looking to upgrade from one to the other...

For short races, I wear my Suunto Ambit 2S; for IM I wear my Garmin 310XT. Start it on the swim and use it the whole race. I also have a Garmin 510 on the bike as it's easier to see than a wrist watch.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Using the Quick Release, I put my 310XT in my swim cap for the swim, on my HB for the bike and on my wrist for the run.

Works great....until you forget it on the bike and head out of T2 without it for your first ever marathon. Not recommended. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suunto Ambit2 the whole way. Makes for killer analysis afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With my 310xt I use the heart rate strap from my old 305. I was told by Garmin that they were all compatible
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use both ant+ captor (for hrm and gsc-10 cadence) with 510 + 910xt ? You save all datas on both at the same time ?? I'm really interested in the answer !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep mine attached to the bike. I already suck in transition and I don't need the additional liability of trying to mount my watch while fighting with my wetsuit. Plus, the garmin doesn't give me any data that the race results won't give me. Further, there's also the risk of losing the watch in the drink.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok will the ambit 2 use my garmin ant+ strap or wahoo Bluetooth strap I also own?

Now to go search for 910xt vs ambit 2 threads...

Need something for Xterra worlds in 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [100km] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my HR Strap that came with 910 works with both 910 and 510 however that strap sucks ass so I use a cycleops strap.

My race this past weekend was the first one I have used Multisport mode on 910 while using the 510 on the bike. It came in handy bc my 510 dropped all sensor (power, HR, Cad) two times during the race and I had to power off and back on.

I did screw up a couple of things. Forgot to sync power to 910 and forgot to turn off autopause on run.

Yes, I saved data on both devices

Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanx for the reply ! I really need another device than my 910xt to visualize my datas (HR, speed, cadence...) while on the bike.

If both are registering datas at the same time, it's perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the 510! Its sooo nice to have that bike data in front of you. It really helps and is much easier to read the screen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 310XT with quick release. And yes, I wear it throughout the race. For T1, as it is bulky, I take it off and hold it in my teeth as I'm taking the sleeve of my wetsuit off, then put it on again.

I also have a Garmin 800 for my bike. I turn that on as I leave to go to the swim and make sure it is working. I just leave it on, press "start" as I get to the mount line and "stop" as I dismount. That way I have access to what I want to see while riding. I then put other fields on my 310 ride screen (such as average speed, average power, average HR). By putting averages on my 310 and current on my 800, it is pretty easy to check whatever I'm interested in.

This also came in handy in one race this summer where,for some reason, my 800 didn't recognize my Stages PM nor my HR monitor. I t was a shorter race so I didn't care as much about seeing that much but when I uploaded both devices, I still had everything because the 310 recoded it.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For race, I wear my fr70 garmin on wrist and HR strap, use the "run" selection to keep the time so it will be already set for the run after the bike. 910xt attached to bike so when I get there it pairs up. On the run, I use the fr70 garmin again for pacing through footpod.

I tried the 910xt for full races and I screw it up somehow not hitting this button, hitting the wrong button, etc. For some reason, I can do better with two watches even though it may seem more trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Using the Quick Release, I put my 310XT in my swim cap for the swim, on my HB for the bike and on my wrist for the run.

Works great....until you forget it on the bike and head out of T2 without it for your first ever marathon. Not recommended. Wink

I did the same thing during the run portion of my firm HIM. :) I suppose that was the downside to my blisteringly fast transition in that I seemed to have missed a step somewhere.

I actually think it may have helped on the run. When I'm starting to fade, I tend to spend an inordinate amount of time staring at my pace on the watch. Not knowing my overall time/pace, I just went out at whatever pace was most comfortable. Optimal probably only for the first HIM, since I now know what I'm capable of. Future HIMs I'll be sure to pace better :)
Last edited by: timbasile: Oct 2, 14 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
910xt on the wrist entire race in multisport mode. Edge 500 on the bike because it shows up to 8 data fields(3sec power, cadence, speed, distance, time, %grade, ...). 910xt only shows 4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to wear my 310xt through the whole race... until it came off at a race this year and is now somewhere on the bottom of a lake. I even had it partially covered by the sleeve... =(

That was during an Olympic distance. I went on to PR my Olympic time, nail both the bike and run, Win my AG, and get 3rd overall... all without a watch. So I've replaced it with a used 305, and I'm no longer wearing watches during races. I'm focusing on Olympic right now... so that may change if I get into long-course racing. but even then, I'd probably still use the 305 and just leave it on the bike for the swim and switch it to the wrist for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not anymore. Too many stories of losing the watch in the water. It's kind of cool to see the swim data after, but really it's just a squiggly line on the map in the general shape of the course and the swim split on the official result gives exactly the same info.

Definitely don't use it on the bike and I don't understand people who choose to use a quick release or something to use their watchas their main race bike computer. It's so small (that's what she said). Just have your regular bike computer set to autopause in the morning. It stays paused until you grab the bike then it unpauses automatically. Hit the lap button as you exit transition if you want, or not. Totally set it and forget it. I usually don't even look at the computer until a mile down the road.

I keep my watch on my bike in bike mode. If at some point during the ride my main bike computer fails, I have the watch as backup. At some point during the bike I'll put the watch on my wrist and eventually use it in run mode when I start running.

In my experience, a full function tri watch is much more useful in training than it is in racing. I almost would prefer to just use a run watch as my only wrist-mounted device during a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear it all the time when training and completing. Never had any problems with either the 310 or the 910 coming adrift from the quick release mount. Not quite true. T'other half ran her arm into a road sign and ripped it out as a result. But it was a really hard knock.

As an aside, I tell the people I coach that while you might train with numbers, you should race by feel. The numbers you collect during an event are for guidance, not control, and review afterwards.

That should open nice can of worms...

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Oct 2, 14 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After my 310xt got kicked off in a HIM, I don't swim with it anymore during races. Luckily a 310xt is relatively "cheap" to reorder on Amazon (as compared to the 910xt). Still sucks to have to spend another $180 though. I don't stop and look at my watch during the swim so it doesn't bother me to go without it. I just leave my watch on my bike and put it on as I rush through transition. Even though my HIM still went ok without any watch data, it would have been nice to have some kind of instantaneous feedback and/or data to refer back to.

HR strap will work for any garmin device as long as it's ANT+. If you buy a 910xt, the HR strap you got with the 310xt will work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my Ambit 2S on the swim and for the entire race. I change the gps setting so it doesn't update every second on the bike,,,,,, if I wasn't so slow I wouldn't have to worry about the battery life.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [speed856]h [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I don't even like when races make you wear a little bracelet.
I have a 500 on the bike and then I put the 310 on as I leave for the run.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Do you swim with your garmin/etc watch on in races? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Power13 wrote:

I did the same thing during the run portion of my firm HIM. :) I suppose that was the downside to my blisteringly fast transition in that I seemed to have missed a step somewhere.

I actually think it may have helped on the run. When I'm starting to fade, I tend to spend an inordinate amount of time staring at my pace on the watch. Not knowing my overall time/pace, I just went out at whatever pace was most comfortable. Optimal probably only for the first HIM, since I now know what I'm capable of. Future HIMs I'll be sure to pace better :)

Yeah, it was crucial mistake for me in Madison. Still being a relative n00b when it comes to running, my internal pacing device sucks.....went out WAY too fast (like 1:00 - 1:30 / mile faster than my fastest goal pace) and blew up at mile 11. Not pretty.

Only race I have ever forgotten it......oh well, lesson learned.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
310XT throughout race on wrist in multisport mode. Slide the watch around my wrist during T1 so it is on the inside of my wrist and when in the aerobars can easily see the watch face. I don't have a dedicated bike computer - the 310XT does everything I need for training and racing and only cost $130 (incl HR strap). Sometimes the race timing chips don't pick-up all your splits so it is nice to have a back-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. I wore a 305 and now the 910. Use it in multisport, the only computer on the bike. To me it is most valuable on the run to monitor HR and pace.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next