Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you close your eyes when on the trainer during intervals?
Quote | Reply
How many of you close your eyes when the pain gets to you at the end of an interval ?

Is it just me ? Why does it help ?

I do that whenever I feel pain. I close my eyes like some how it will make it go away. Goofy habit?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you close your eyes when on the trainer during intervals? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
How many of you close your eyes when the pain gets to you at the end of an interval ?

I do that whenever I feel pain. I close my eyes like some how it will make it go away. Goofy habit?

No, I think it works to help focus the brain. When your eyes are open, your brain is distracted with external stimuli. When you close your eyes, you end up being able to totally focus on the actual work. I have done some computrainer blind tests, and ridden half of a course with the screen on and watching my watts and then turning off the screen, closing my eyes, not looking at what gear I am, no wattage feedback, no speed feedback, and just ridden on feel trying to keep the same perceived exertion and each time my watts climb up. I also do this eyes closed thing doing intervals in the water during open water swims when I am totally solo and I am able to more effectively focus on what my body is doing. Kind of hard to do running intervals eyes closed, for more than few strides. You can also doing it lifting weights and the focus is a lot easier without external stimuli de focusing the brain.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you close your eyes when on the trainer during intervals? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Eyes Wide Open!

When you close your eyes, do you dream about Meeeeee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes-sometimes. Then again, all intervals need not to be super intensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eyes sometimes open, sometimes closed.

When it gets really bad... I laugh. Weird thing is my wattage increases when I'm laughing (but really wanting to cry).
Quote Reply
Re: Do you close your eyes when on the trainer during intervals? [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I whimper, then laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never blink.

Blinking is for pussies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the trainer I stare at my watts the entire time, entire ride, every ride. Pretty sure I'm burning a permanent image of my Joule into my retinas by doing this.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you close your eyes when on the trainer during intervals? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the harder sufferfest workouts, I close my eyes, swear, grunt and spit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh hell no. I'm finally watching the Walking Dead series. Can. Not. Look. Away.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I've gotten the Kickr I use an iPad in front of me to watch movies and such. I've started actually taking a quick look at myself in the reflection on the screen when it gets really tough. Not for vanity, but for accountability to myself. Looking yourself in the eye when you feel like tapping out does wonders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only on Sufferfest. Gawd those last intevals are HARD - I don't even think I"ve watched the final 15 minutes of any sufferfest video since I'm in so much pain that I can't even see! (I thus rarely do them anymore except for race tuning)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do, try to take a brief nap..
;-)

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to drop my head, squint and look left. I noticed that a couple weeks ago. I have NO idea why. I know I'm trying to relax everything but my legs but the looking left baffles me
Quote Reply
Re: Do you close your eyes when on the trainer during intervals? [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend keeping your head up and eyes open. I got into a bad habit of dropping my head, Chris Froome style, during tough trainer intervals. I did the same thing in a race once and almost took out the peloton!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and as eluded to earlier, I think it does help to focus on the effort. I started the winter on my trainer watching videos. Now I just play some music as I warm up and go with that.

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, eyes closed during hard intervals! I can't stand looking at the clock counting down slowly on TrainerRoad for the time remaining in the interval. For some reason my rest interval clock seems to be much faster.

I know my wattage fairly closely by effort and cadence. Closing my eyes and cranking up the music helps me to get into the zone and keeps me in the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eyes close and squinting hard and mouth open wide to suck in air and let out a little cry...
OH MAMA...IT HURTS!!! STOP...I WON'T DO IT AGAIN...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bury my face in my right shoulder and even bite it sometimes(!). Often at the end of 'fest videos HHNF or ISLAGIATT. Thankfully there is no compulsion to do this while outdoors, or I'd probably veer off the road.
Quote Reply