Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad
Quote | Reply
I've got latex tubes in my race wheels, which I only use 6-8 times a year for races. But the tubes are 4 years old.

Do they ever go bad and is there an expiration date as far as changing them?

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.”
¯ Desmond Tutu
Quote Reply
Re: Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad [gjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience, latex tubes seem to fail based on: time, air exposure, and UV exposure. If you've treated them carefully and they still hold air, you're probably fine.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've replaced after 2 years in my race wheels. They looked fine but were sticking to the inside of the tire.

I've gone a whole season with them in my training wheels. When I pulled them out to change the tire they were stuck to the tire and had little stretchy marks on them where they met the spoke holes in the rim tape.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My second child is pretty solid proof that latex has a shelf life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a video of a racer's rear tube exploding on him towards the end of a crit. Not a particularly warm day, not a lot of braking; it just failed. The racer remarked later that he has was running latex tubes in order to save a couple watts and the tubes had been fine for over a year. He shredded his Zipp 404 wheel as a result. I wouldn't use latex tubes in a crit myself, but if you do, consider swapping them out at the one year mark - new tubes are a lot cheaper than new carbon wheels.

https://vimeo.com/89881229

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have boxes of latex gloves that say yes. They look fine until a small amount of pressure is out on them.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say that if you're having doubts just change them. Relatively cheap peace of mind. Throw them into rotation for your training wheels to maximize your return on investment :)
Quote Reply
Re: Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I've replaced after 2 years in my race wheels. They looked fine but were sticking to the inside of the tire.

I've gone a whole season with them in my training wheels. When I pulled them out to change the tire they were stuck to the tire and had little stretchy marks on them where they met the spoke holes in the rim tape.

jaretj

Now I'm going to have to go check my tubes this evening. I put latex tubes in my wheels mid way through last season and just kind of left them in. Hopefully they haven't liquified!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I've had some that spontaneously failed after a few months and some that last for years like you have. No puncture, just a tube turned to ribbons inside at what I assume was a weak spot. After having to DNF a few times, decided it just wasn't worth the risk. Was using Vittoria, YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used once a used latex tube as a cover for a chainlock and saw after some years that the latex got tacky. I than decieded to replace latex tubes every two years.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP, yes! Is the answer. Most definitely.

I've had 3 failures from aged latex in the 4 yrs I've been playing cyclist.
All 3 instances were in race wheels that had been climate controlled, stored indoors over the winter.
Each happened the 2nd or 3rd time I went to air them up. When applying the air chuck, the tube tore around the valve stem.
It was never a big deal for me, but you can imagine the situation if it happens race morning.

fisherman76 wrote:
I can't believe no one gave you props on this. Nicely done.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I set up my set of race wheels in April of this year and store my race wheels indoors then the latex tubes should be good to go for the entire year? Just swap them out at the beginning of next year to be safe?
Quote Reply
Re: Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad [fisherman76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fisherman76 wrote:

I'm not sure whether to apologize to you or say congratulations. Either way... Well played.

Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
So if I set up my set of race wheels in April of this year and store my race wheels indoors then the latex tubes should be good to go for the entire year? Just swap them out at the beginning of next year to be safe?
Man, here is what I do.
I put fresh meat and tubes on my snazzy wheels ~2 rides before my first Spring race.

I move the old stuff over to trainers.
If the latex sticks to the rim and stretches or deforms, I trash it.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use orange seal in my latex tubes. It appears to prevent flats, but also shorten the life of the tubes. Also, letting the wheels go flat and being in a hot environment has appeared to damage the tube. I keep mine inflated, spin them if I haven't ridden them in awhile, and replace them every 6 months or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Latex Tubes Ever Go Bad [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a particularly warm day, not a lot of braking; it just failed. The racer remarked later that he has was running latex tubes in order to save a couple watts and the tubes had been fine for over a year. He shredded his Zipp 404 wheel as a result. I wouldn't use latex tubes in a crit myself, but if you do, consider swapping them out at the one year mark - new tubes are a lot cheaper than new carbon wheels.

Here we go again...

There is zero stress on a tube when it is properly installed. Note *properly* installed. If you get a little bit pinched under the bead though, the tube will likely survive like that for a long time... until the right combination of heat or cornering forces loosens the tire bead and the air pressure blows it off the rim. Ouch.

I've been riding latex tubes exclusively for about 5 years. 30-40k miles. They ride better, are puncture resistant (seriously, very resistant to pinch flats and stuff like staples, thorns, and small wires), and have significantly less resistance than butyl, and patch easily. The major downside is a few more strokes of the pump because they leak down ~20%/day, and they also cost a little more (I buy them from Ribble for <$8). Plus you can't be a complete moron about installing them.

Oh since this is about longevity, I have some latex tubes that I've been using for 8 years. These are very robust Vredesteins that are heavy and thick. I don't think you can buy them any more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they can go bad sitting in your wallet too long, they can go bad on a rim.
Quote Reply