Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dividing your running intervals throughout the day
Quote | Reply
I do push ups throughout day with good effect.

Let's say you like to do 4x8's running intervals. Can you do two in morning and two at night, or just do one 8 minute interval every 4 hours? Is it really that important to do em in a single workout session?
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 25, 14 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your intervals throughout the day [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

Let's say you like to do 4x8's. Can you do two in morning and two at night, or just do one 8 minute interval every 4 hours? Is it really that important to do em in a single workout session?

Not so important. Do them whenever you want. You should be doing more than 32 push-ups in 8 minutes though.

Edit: Nevermind now I see you meant 4 times 8 minutes not 8 push-ups. Still the answer doesn't change though.
Last edited by: Staz: Oct 25, 14 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your intervals throughout the day [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

Let's say you like to do 4x8's. Can you do two in morning and two at night, or just do one 8 minute interval every 4 hours? Is it really that important to do em in a single workout session?

You can, but it changes the workout. That is, it changes the systems that you tax most heavily with the workout(s), and you consequently have a different physiological response.

George D.
Canton, GA
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your intervals throughout the day [gwdiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gwdiv wrote:
Swanson234 wrote:

You can, but it changes the workout. That is, it changes the systems that you tax most heavily with the workout(s), and you consequently have a different physiological response.

Would you care to elaborate? Yes, it's a loaded question.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your intervals throughout the day [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
gwdiv wrote:
Swanson234 wrote:

Not really, no. After a bad experience a couple of years ago, I resolved never to get too deeply involved in a conversation about running on the ST forum again. I'll leave it to someone else.

George D.
Canton, GA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gwdiv wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
gwdiv wrote:
Swanson234 wrote:

Not really, no. After a bad experience a couple of years ago, I resolved never to get too deeply involved in a conversation about running on the ST forum again. I'll leave it to someone else.

This is about push-ups.
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your intervals throughout the day [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
This is about push-ups.

Ha! Okay, yeah. I see that now. Stupid. In my head, I went straight to running. My bad.

George D.
Canton, GA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gwdiv wrote:
Staz wrote:

This is about push-ups.

Ha! Okay, yeah. I see that now. Stupid. In my head, I went straight to running. My bad.

It's about running. I meant 4 x 8's as in 4 sets of 8 minute running intervals. I did not mean 4 sets of 8 push ups (handstand pushups?)
Last edited by: Swanson234: Oct 25, 14 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in hearing your perspective, I have wondered about this in the past.

Ignore the people who are overly critical.
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your running intervals throughout the day [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

Let's say you like to do 4x8's running intervals. Can you do two in morning and two at night, or just do one 8 minute interval every 4 hours? Is it really that important to do em in a single workout session?

Aside from the physiological drawbacks, it would be an incredibly inefficient way to train. You would need to warmup and cool down from every interval. It is very different than doing a set of push-ups every few hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gwdiv wrote:
Staz wrote:
This is about push-ups.

Actually my bad apparently according to the next post! The OP confused me with the segue from pushups to running without saying it was about running.
Quote Reply
Re: Dividing your running intervals throughout the day [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is why 8 min intervals? A little too long for vo2 max and too short for a tempo run.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote | Reply
Beanster wrote:
My question is why 8 min intervals? A little too long for vo2 max and too short for a tempo run.

I dunno I've heard the term 4x8's used quite a few times on these forums.

I actually do mile intervals (so more like 6ish min intervals)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fatigue makes "cowards" of all of us. Intervals are designed to work on relative long term speed while cheating the part of fatigue that makes us "cowards". We cheat by taking a small break in between the work. The break needs to be just long enough to stave off the "coward" in us but not too long because we still want some fatigue in our body when we start the next work.

To put it simply...intervals are usually used to stress our bodies more than our mind will usually let us. To do that..we take little breaks. If you take too long of a break...then you fully recover and lose that physiological stress that you achieved on any given interval.

With that in mind...I do not believe spreading out your intervals throughout the day will be much benefit unless your intervals are relatively long and intense. 4x8 spread throughout the day MAY be beneficial if you are running each interval really really hard.

It all depends on what you are training for, where you are at in your training, and many other variables that you havent included.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply