Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disk cover slowing down coasting wheel
Quote | Reply
Maybe my disk cover/ hub body/ cassette just fit really tight but my wheel/ hub definitely does not spin as freely while coasting/ not pedaling with a wheel cover. Is this normal? There is unavoidable friction between the cassette and the cover.

I'm thinking on a bike course with big descents, this may negate the advantages of the disk for a course like Tahoe or Donner.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Disk cover slowing down coasting wheel [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might need a spacer before putting the casette on.

Taping the disc cover to the spokes may help too.

Quote | Reply
Pretty common, I doubt that it is enough to worry about. Do you smell burning plastic?
Quote Reply
Re: Disk cover slowing down coasting wheel [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha. No. I guess I don't ride fast enough to smell plastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most of the time, you just need to make the hole of the disc cover a little bigger. Take either sand paper or exacto knife and enlarge the hole. This will allow the cover to sit closer to the spokes and eliminate 100% the rubbing so you get a perfectly nice spinning wheel. I have done this process a few times on different cover and wheels...work great!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I changed to 11 spd and redished my wheel things got tighter for mine and rubbed on the cassette a bit. I cut the hole a wee bit bigger and also drilled some holes by some spokes and used tiny tie-wraps to hold the disk tight against the spokes. This solved the issue and gave the clearance for the chain when on the largest cog.
See this post http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4841059#4841059 for pix example, that's where I got the idea from for the tiny tie-wraps.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's only rubbing on the largest cog, it shouldn't be a problem. You're never going to be coasting/descending in that gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Disk cover slowing down coasting wheel [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the cover is rubbing against the chain when you are in the biggest cog, sure, not a problem. But if it's rubbing against the cog itself, it doesn't matter what gear you're in, and that is a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Disk cover slowing down coasting wheel [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo, Jonnyo. That worked. Thanks.
Quote Reply