Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc for trek sc gen 1/brake adjustment issue
Quote | Reply
On my 2011/12 trek sc gen , I currently run zipp FC 404's with rear brake set pretty wide, looking for a disc that would fit closely to the rear FC to avoid constant bike shop visits. Brake adjustment major pita. Tried an older he'd disc and effectively no rear brakes. Anyone had a similar issue and
have a recommendation? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Disc for trek sc gen 1/brake adjustment issue [walth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume you want a carbon braking surface, so you don't have to swap the pads when swapping wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc for trek sc gen 1/brake adjustment issue [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes absolutely no desire to take that on as well. Trying to simplify as much as possible. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However I had Swiss stop yellow pads installed and can use sandpaper to wipe pads if switching to aluminum rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are adjustable brake levers that let you dial in pad width
Quote Reply
Re: Disc for trek sc gen 1/brake adjustment issue [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
There are adjustable brake levers that let you dial in pad width

ditto - they make set up infinitely easier

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.trekbikes.com/...er-xxx-aero/p/09848/

Get these.

Also, how often are you using your rear brake.... particularly in a race? I hardly ever use my rear brake unless I need to come to abrupt stop.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walth wrote:
On my 2011/12 trek sc gen , I currently run zipp FC 404's with rear brake set pretty wide, looking for a disc that would fit closely to the rear FC to avoid constant bike shop visits. Brake adjustment major pita. Tried an older he'd disc and effectively no rear brakes. Anyone had a similar issue and
have a recommendation? Thanks

I had same issue when i still owned that Gen 1 (the new and improved rear braking on the Gen 2 was still horrible). I used the Zipp Super 9 and didn't need to adjust the pads. Funny thing is after a few years of riding speed concepts I got so accustomed to not using rear brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc for trek sc gen 1/brake adjustment issue [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I was thinking the same thing, just did a ride around the block with a narrower HED 3 disc and used only the front brake, won't be racing with a disc more than 4-5 times a year so maybe that's the answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the adjustable brake levers on mine, but lost them when I upgraded to Di2. Even with the Super9 clincher I had some adjustments to do when switching from my 404 or 808. You can set the rear brake cable/wedge so that pulling the pad holder and swapping one spacing washer from the inside of the caliper to the nut side opens it up, or in reverse, tightens it down. It only takes a few minutes and is much easier than screwing around with resetting the cable inside the wedge. With only 4 or 5 uses a year this is pretty easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc for trek sc gen 1/brake adjustment issue [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveJ thanks, got this installed and works great!
Quote Reply