Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Disc brake rotor (mods edit: may or may not have) sliced clean through Owain Doull's shoe
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And vaccinations cause Autism.

A guy with a thing against disc brakes claims the disc brakes did it. Oh sure, it might have been, but it's far more likely that it was a spoke, especially if it was a bladed spoke.

Riding to work one day, a high speed low flying bird flew into my front wheel. The spinning wheel cut the bird clean in half showering my legs with blood and feathers! Not a brake rotor to be seen anywhere.

I would agree that brake rotors should have rounded edges but that's for aerodynamics, not for cut resistance.

I'm no mountain biker, but I'm not aware of any outrage from that crowd being cut to pieces by brake rotors. I find it highly unlikely that the rotor was the cause of this problem. More likely a spoke. Is there any video evidence that it was the rotor?

I can't believe cycle road racing is allowed. Have you ever seen the damage the road does to a guy when he comes off a road bike? Roads should be padded, or banned, I reckon. (Pink?)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:

A guy with a thing against disc brakes claims the disc brakes did it. Oh sure, it might have been, but it's far more likely that it was a spoke, especially if it was a bladed spoke.

Riding to work one day, a high speed low flying bird flew into my front wheel. The spinning wheel cut the bird clean in half showering my legs with blood and feathers! Not a brake rotor to be seen anywhere.

I would agree that brake rotors should have rounded edges but that's for aerodynamics, not for cut resistance.

I'm no mountain biker, but I'm not aware of any outrage from that crowd being cut to pieces by brake rotors. I find it highly unlikely that the rotor was the cause of this problem. More likely a spoke. Is there any video evidence that it was the rotor?

I can't believe cycle road racing is allowed. Have you ever seen the damage the road does to a guy when he comes off a road bike? Roads should be padded, or banned, I reckon. (Pink?)

Uh, do they race together in large packs where multiple-rider pile-ups at sprint speeds are common? Disc brake rotors may or may not be a problem, but if they were your terrible analogy would fail to illustrate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
tridork wrote:

Uh, do they race together in large packs where multiple-rider pile-ups at sprint speeds are common? Disc brake rotors may or may not be a problem, but if they were your terrible analogy would fail to illustrate it.

From the few MTB races I've attended, the mass race starts can be mayhem with crashes happening quite often. Maybe that's only happened at the 3 races I've been to and not at other races, but I suspect that's not the case.
Did Doull bad mouth the road for the damage it did to his butt? Nah, he was all worried about the brake rotor

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must have been a really rusty rotor. And Kittel must have been magically in two places at once.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/02/owain-doull-marcel-kittel-disc-brake-crash-abu-dhabi/

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's possible the cut was from some part of the fencing set up. A lot of fencing I've seen used for races have support posts with flat steel plates for bases. The way that fencing was upended it would be pretty easy to contact one of those.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
A guy with a thing against disc brakes claims the disc brakes did it.
Well I sure didn't know this before posting. What does he have against disc brakes anyway?

tridork wrote:
Is there any video evidence that it was the rotor?
It seems inconclusive at this point. His statement on the video was compelling enough for me to take him for his word and start the thread.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two close friends have lost tips of fingers to rotors. Both during maintenance.

Ask around at any shop that does a lot of MTB work. Should find plenty of stories from the mechanics.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes! I hope those mechanics stay away from knives, hand saws, power saws, scissors, paper...
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
Two close friends have lost tips of fingers to rotors. Both during maintenance.

Ask around at any shop that does a lot of MTB work. Should find plenty of stories from the mechanics.

And I've skinned my knuckles trying to remove cranks.
My old boss lost his thumb on a fan belt of a car. Not like we've banned belts on cars.

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.velonews.com/...-actually-cut_431182

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's nothing else on a modern bike that's anywhere near as likely to cause significant harm as a rotor.

A bike isn't a car.

Does skinning knuckles require an ER visit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
There's nothing else on a modern bike that's anywhere near as likely to cause significant harm as a rotor.
That's just re-stating the unsubstantiated assertion in question. What's this based on? It's not obvious to me that brake rotors are more dangerous than, for example, the chain or spokes. In the event of a crash there's lots of additional candidates like broken handlebars, frames or wheel rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:

Autism is still a mystery (probably really several things categorized under similar conditions) and in spite of what "they" say or don't say... they've removed Thimerosal and many other mercury products from the market. My grandfather has to get his Mercurochrome out of Autstralia these days. You're not going to get MMR out of a multi dose file with high levels of Thimerosal either. I like vaccines and think they're great... they can also be very dangerous and pharmaceuticals are one of the most powerful group of lobbyist, cover up artists... you name it with $$$$ to do it all.

On the thread subject I do agree with you... riding and racing bikes is dangerous. Probably the worst I've seen is a guy that removed three fingers fiddling with his front brake in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a guy that removed three fingers fiddling with his front brake in a race."

not his front disc brake, i assume.

weird, reading this thread, after i got back from deep sea fishing i had this idea. i put my Andean in the trainer, spun the front wheel, and, voila!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 24, 17 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How come all the guys who are claiming they got injured from disc brakes get injured on the left leg? If it was the guy using the disc brakes getting injured that might make some sense, but it's always someone else who somehow got their left leg through their own bike and into the left side of the other bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the other thread and watch the video of the crash. He was on his backside and Kittel was next to him before Kittel's bike mysteriously pole vaulted.

I don't know if it actually was, but from as far as I can tell it is highly likely in this case.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
Go to the other thread and watch the video of the crash. He was on his backside and Kittel was next to him before Kittel's bike mysteriously pole vaulted.

I don't know if it actually was, but from as far as I can tell it is highly likely in this case.

In regards to this incident, I've watched the video and I'm skeptical that it happened that way. How would his foot cause Kittel to pole vault? By rubbing against the disc? How much braking force could be imparted by his shoe?

But in other claims it has also been the left leg which seems counter intuitive. If disc brakes are as dangerous as people are claiming, shouldn't there be lots of right leg injuries and fewer left leg injuries?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say less rubbing and more blunt force. If you look at the Velonews video they should that the top of the shoe slowed down the wheel decently. Now imagine the brake cut through the shoe and hit a foot and all the extra energy that would take.

A better test for Velonews would be to grab a chunk of stryafoam or, even the shoe they had, and slam it into the disc while spinning to see what happens. The problem with their tests is that the momentum of their "cutting surface" is not even close to applicable for what a high speed crash would be like.

Kittel could also easily have hit a front wheel or just grabbed a hunk of brake and threw himself. I don't really know.

I believe the big incident last year was that the rider stepped down and the front wheel of the rider behind him went between his leg and his bike, exposing his left calf to the front disc.

I think this case is more likely than last years. I think the brake caused it, but I am not claiming to be an expert in bike crashing and trauma caused by bike parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought in the one last year it was shown that there wasn't a disc brake in sight when the rider was injured, but maybe that was another incident.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember that being said too. Like I said, I wasn't convinced last year. I am more convinced by what I see with this incidence.

Honestly, I think the safety issue is kind of a crutch for the riders that just don't want them. They don't really make sense in high end bike racing in my mind. It's easier to get them booted due to "Safety" concerns than it is because people don't want to ride what sponsors are putting under them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that no one knows as fact what happened, Titles such as this are inappropriate. This is becomming pervasive in our lives.
A more accurate description is:

"Doull hypothesizes his shoe was cut by disk brake rotor".

His evidence is "What else could have done this?"

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Considering that no one knows as fact what happened, Titles such as this are inappropriate. This is becomming pervasive in our lives.
A more accurate description is:

"Doull hypothesizes his shoe was cut by disk brake rotor".

His evidence is "What else could have done this?"

Stop trying to science us!

Was it mentioned in the other thread the goofy video Velonews did trying to cut stuff with a non-rounded brake rotor? Website link with video. Video only at YouTube.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc brake rotor slices clean through Owain Doull's shoe [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Stop trying to science us!

Don't make me call Mark Watney.
Quote Reply

Prev Next