Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc and Tubular inflatation Q's
Quote | Reply
Hi all, just got a rear disc and aero front wheel (tubular) and had a few questions. These may seem idiotically simple so please bear w/ me. One: do you take the valve extender off after you inflate the wheel or leave it on?

Two: I have a topeak joeblow pump but did not get any pressure reading despite obviously inflating the tubulars. Do I need a new pump or a pressure gauge that fits the valve extender to judge the correct pressure?

Three: Any trick to folding the spare tube to fit behind my seat? I have continental podiums.

Thanks for the help, this is new territory for me.... It's a brave new world out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Tubular inflatation Q's [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suggestion: go to www.worldclasscycles.com and look for an extended valve core. This replaces the short valve and has a proper core at the end. This way, you don't have the leaks, and you can use the pressure gauge on your pump.

Maybe I can show a pic of how I fold a tyre. I can't splain it in writing.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Tubular inflatation Q's [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bunnyman, are you using Tufos? Im using S3 lites 22's. After reading John Cobb's remarks and getting the skinny on tubular tire aerodynamics I am thinking of switching to Contis, 19/22 Comps
Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Tubular inflatation Q's [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Tufo S3's. They're light, easy on the wallet, easy to mount, they actually thread the valve in tightly. I feel like I have found a new old friend.

I never found a tyre that actually over reported their weight. They claim 150 grams, mine weighed at 145!!!

By the way, I am prepping a lightweight Reynolds 853 TT/climbing bike for a very hilly race. My wheelset for this will be all of 1100- 1200 grams!!! The front end is of special interest. I will photograph it and e mail the photo to your gallery.

Also, I got the Campy Delta brake mounted and (surprise!) properly adjusted on Samantha. It looks sweet. I will try and photograph that, as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice, I am using a Zipp front brake, the carbon one:

Quote Reply
Re: Disc and Tubular inflatation Q's [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I coulda found one of those. Boo hoo...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My suggestion: go to www.worldclasscycles.com and look for an extended valve core. This replaces the short valve and has a proper core at the end. This way, you don't have the leaks, and you can use the pressure gauge on your pump. Hey Bunnyman, where were you when I needed you during the valve extension thread?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't take off the extender! If you put it on right the first time, with pipe tape, it will have a good seal and not leak. If you take it off, you will never get as good a seal. If you have already taken it off, or it already leaks, then you can go ahead an take it off, you'll save a small amount of rotating weight.

You won't get a pressure reading with an extender. The valve closes and the extender isn't pressurized. Get a pump with a pressure gauge, or get tires with removable cores and the extenders that allow you to thread the core into them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from my vast experience (1 ride and 1 race with tubulars on aero wheels) here's what I did:
1. I leave the extender on. If I flat in a race it's going to be easier to find the extender there than if I have to root through the saddlebag..
2. Not sure what happened there - I have an extender and a Nashbar el cheapo floor pump with gauge, pressure reading was fine ?
3. Folded it sticky side to sticky side in half, then sort of z-ed the resulting sandwich up,
\/\
or so, until it fitted into my saddlebag.

I have to say after spending days removing dubious quality glue from the rims, re-glueing, and eventually managing to mount the tires only with the help of Dan's handy hint (toes to hold the rim, heave with back and arms to stretch the tire on) - I'm as yet unconvinced that tubulars are a Good Thing.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: How to fold a tubie [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You kinda fold it in a double roll, tape side up and tread down like this:

/:\

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

\ /

Start at the valve(extender on) end and roll into a little wad that you can then tape under your seat w/ CO2 inside. For me, it fits perfectly when taped to the horizontal supports of the Minora rear bottle holder.

Hope this makes sense.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jun 16, 03 11:42
Quote Reply