Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Wheels 2017
Quote | Reply
Hi all- I'm new to the forum, I've tried to dig up some old threads but can't find anything fresh.
I'm in the market for a clincher disc wheel, budget of approx 1500euro.
Can someone recommend a disc within this range? I am doing IM Wales and intend to use the disc in this race too, given the ascents something lighter the better
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
Hi all- I'm new to the forum, I've tried to dig up some old threads but can't find anything fresh.
Can someone recommend a disc within this range? I am doing IM Wales and intend to use the disc in this race too, given the ascents something lighter the better

Check out the products on Competitive Cyclist. You will get prices and reviews. They have a few sales going on right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Reynolds Element Disc from Probikekit yesterday for $1136 USD after 10% off coupon that I found online, free ship, no tax. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AeroJacket and a nice power meter

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need a new one? (you really don't) Check the classifieds and you could get a great disc and have $ left over. I paid $725 for a Zipp disc three years ago and its still as bombproof as ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:

Discs that fit in with your budget:

Renn - $700
FFWD - $850
Flo - $1000
HED jet - $1400
Reynolds Stinger - $1200
Planetx - $650

Performance wise there is little difference between a $150 wheel cover and a $3000 Zipp Super 9, so go for something that looks good, is solid and reliable and you're going to be able to sell later on down the track. And as thugbuster suggested, check out the 2nd hand market, some bargains out there, most (all?) discs have only been used in races, so little mileage.

There is an Australian company, Caden, who have a 750gm disc, that's not available at the moment though, I think probably around August. Possibly the lightest disc wheel going?

http://www.carbonbikewheels.com.au/en/
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 19, 17 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThAnks everyone for the guidance. I would definitely look In the second hand market but ireland clincher discs for sale are few and far between
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:
ThAnks everyone for the guidance. I would definitely look In the second hand market but ireland clincher discs for sale are few and far between

Have a look at tubular too. I'm just making the jump to tubs after always riding clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in Europe, Citec disc wheels are competitively priced and worth a look. A mate has the Ultra model and it's pretty great.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keepdrilling wrote:

AeroCoach have a clincher disc coming out very soon. If you can't wait a few weeks then check out Revolver or Walker Brothers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the wheels section on timetriallingforum.co.uk classifieds. Disc wheels come up every couple of days. You could bag a nice Corima for only a few hundred bob.

If you had the time to wait I'm a big fan of the Renn whoomp whoomp whoomp, but it ships from the US.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have wondered how the Revolver Asym stacks up against the likes of hed plus. The new Aerocoach looks intetesting plus the prototype Rival disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know anything the kronos? I think I'm tied between the citec 8000 and the kronos by revolver. The citec one is nearly 400gms lighter however
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Premier disk (sic). $700 USD and looks pretty solid. I don't know anyone who has tried one yet, but I'm thinking of getting one next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Check out the Premier disk (sic). $700 USD and looks pretty solid. I don't know anyone who has tried one yet, but I'm thinking of getting one next year.

Nice looking wheels. They also come with blacked out decals which is cool.

Reviews of their bike:
https://www.bikerumor.com/...rdshell-travel-case/

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...roletariat_6130.html
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 21, 17 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, - is that the one the looks very Jet hed like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
keepdrilling wrote:

Renn - $700
FFWD - $850
Flo - $1000
HED jet - $1400
Reynolds Stinger - $1200
Planetx - $650

Performance wise there is little difference between a $150 wheel cover and a $3000 Zipp Super 9, so go for something that looks good, is solid and reliable and you're going to be able to sell later on down the track. And as thugbuster suggested, check out the 2nd hand market, some bargains out there, most (all?) discs have only been used in races, so little mileage.

There is an Australian company, Caden, who have a 750gm disc, that's not available at the moment though, I think probably around August. Possibly the lightest disc wheel going?

I"ll just add that on top of our $949 Carbon Clincher DISC, we also offer a $649 Aluminum + Carbon model.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can go to raceviewcycles and they got the Zipp Super 9 SC for $1670 to your door.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
zedzded wrote:
keepdrilling wrote:

Renn - $700
FFWD - $850
Flo - $1000
HED jet - $1400
Reynolds Stinger - $1200
Planetx - $650

I"ll just add that on top of our $949 Carbon Clincher DISC, we also offer a $649 Aluminum + Carbon model.

Wow that's a bargain! When was that released?
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 23, 17 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front wheel for $429 looks pretty sweet too. Any one tried these yet?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

Yeah, I've always been surprised your Aluminum + Carbon disc isn't brought up/suggested more. It's a solid $300 less than the carbon clincher, tests slightly faster according to FLO's own numbers, I would assume stops better, and is probably within the margin of error in terms of weight (1304 for the cc, 1344 for the aluminum + carbon).

I've been considering selling my current rear FLO 90 cc and getting a disc, and I'm pretty sure I'd choose the aluminum + carbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Canadian wrote:
zedzded wrote:
keepdrilling wrote:

Renn - $700
FFWD - $850
Flo - $1000
HED jet - $1400
Reynolds Stinger - $1200
Planetx - $650

Wow that's a bargain! When was that released?

We've been selling our Aluminum + Carbon DISC since February of 2012.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheels 2017 [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been considering myself, HED jet plus disc is currently 999EUR on bike 24. Seems pretty good value to me and will probably hold it's price better on second hand market.

Have also heard great things about the Walker brothers wheels.
Quote Reply