Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
Long story short. i have zipp 404's with a PT laced hub. i recently purchased a used 2014 trek speed concept 9 series. went to set up my disc cover for Silverman and found out that it rubs and that won't be an option. i am changing my power/wheel set up over the winter so this won't be an issue next season, but i am racing IMAZ in about 5 weeks and i was wondering if i would have better luck with my buddy's catalyst disc cover (built for his 808), or would that not even be an option since it was built for his 808?

thanks,

Every man for himself!!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [TeamPigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try making a DIY disc cover. Because it's "custom made" from two pieces of flat ABS
plastic sheets the curvature will be perfect and won't rub.

Your buddy's won't work because it's cut to fit the somewhat deeper 808.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 12, 15 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the grommet out of the speed sensor blank.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tried that.... still rubbed pretty bad, but at least it wasn't rubbing on rubber.

Every man for himself!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you tape the non drive side cover to the spokes? That is what I had to do when I had a Trek SC...but it didn't rub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 Speed Concept and a 60 mm rear wheel that I was thinking of trying a cover on. What size is your bike? I've heard some sizes don't work at all but larger sizes might work in some cases.

Register for Tri the Illini! Urbana-Champaign's premier sprint triathlon! Register here: http://www.fightingillinitriathlon.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [Red X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try Wheelbuilders for a rear disc cover for your wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This wheel builder cover was made for the generic set of power tap wheels, then i got these 404's and cut the cover down to fit. at Vineman this year i did tape the side with the cassette on it to the spokes with electrical tape because it was wanting to rub a little when i got down in my hardest gear. the tape worked ok. and yes, i did try to tape the non drive side to the spokes before Silverman, but this side of the cover 'pops' out a little more in shape, so when i try to tape the cover to the spokes i get about half way around and as i tape a spoke it pulls it off the spoke opposite of the one i am taping (does that make sense). did you maybe use a different type of tape that holds better? i think that at least sounds like it's worth trying!

Red X - my bike is a large frame.

thanks for all the feedback guys. hopefully some stronger tape might hold to the spokes a little better. i'll let you know if i have any luck with that.

Every man for himself!!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a problem with the speed sensor rubbing on wheel... some seem to have ways to get around it, removing the sensor/grommet, taping the cover, etc. but Wheelbuilders lists the Speed Concept as one of the few that does not work with their cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird. I have an Enve classic 66 mm rear wheel with a power tap and Wheelbuilder cover and it's no close to rubbing. Bike is a 2012 Speed Concept 9 in size XL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a diy cover and tape the drive side with duct tape and the other side with Velcro (tape behind the spoke and Velcro above) scotch3m 33 all the way around the rim. No SC though.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://www.catalyst.bike/...campaign=ambassadors

check out catalyst wheel covers. i purchased one a while back and it has been awesome. easily taped on and i've run it all season without any re-taping. it's a lot lighter than the wheel builders cover and i personally like the look of the carbon vs the plastic.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i dont really want to spend much money, because after this race i will be changing my power/wheel set up and this won't be an issue anymore.

sort of off the subject - any 'quick math' on how much time i would be giving up if i just ran my normal 404's vs. using the disc cover at IMAZ? my FTP is 242, i did vineman at an average of 200 and completed that bike in 2:31 (with disc cover on a 2011 felt B16). i am shooting to hit 180 average watts at IMAZ and thinking about a 5:25-5:30 bike split.

thanks!!

Every man for himself!!
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seen em but to get them shipped to Germany makes em kinda golden after customs, that's why I decided to make my own out of curv material which I can get over here.(kinda carbonish lookin)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea where one can find fault ABS sheets to use?

Thanks

pattersonpaul wrote:
try making a DIY disc cover. Because it's "custom made" from two pieces of flat ABS

Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks

pattersonpaul wrote:

I'll have to look for the name of the company I used when I get home.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Cover on zipp 404 / Speed Concept [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
There is a problem with the speed sensor rubbing on wheel... some seem to have ways to get around it, removing the sensor/grommet, taping the cover, etc.

If you have a PT, then there is no need for a separate speed sensor since the head unit can get accurate speed info directly from the PT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much...

pattersonpaul wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Thanks

pattersonpaul wrote:

I'll have to look for the name of the company I used when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.professionalplastics.com/...20Cart%20Abandonment

click on "sheets other sizes", get 0.030 in a 24X48 sheet. cut it in two and there should be enough
for one wheel if it's not a box rim you are working with.

do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 13, 15 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, thanks so much! I appreciate your help. I've got one that doesn't fit my frame because of the curve, so maybe my own flat one will work better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Gorilla duct tape - probably twice as sticky.
Quote Reply