Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [mikegarmin4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikegarmin4 wrote:
Interesting perspective. It reminds me of the latest tv episode of John Stossel which highlighted the recent rise in nazi-like raids in the homes of suspected drug dealers by local law enforcement. In 100% of the raids studied, the suspect's dog was shot by police. People surveyed on the raids almost invariably didn't care about the sudpect being shot, but they all expressed shock at the dog being shot. I would assume you join with these people.

The 8th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was adopted to preclude psychopath government officials from, say, running over a cyclist as punishment for rolling through a stop sign. I hope you're a private sector guy.

An Old Guy wrote:
I am glad no one got hurt.

---

A fine is enough. No need to ruin the guys life more than that..

---

On the other hand few people commit such acts without provaction.

I was not there. I do not have knowledge of how the bicyclists were riding or what the traffic conditions were.

But I do know how some bicyclists, even professionals, ride. It is not always legal or safe. (Yes, I too have been guilty of less than perfect bicycle riding.)

It is hard to know what happened. It is impossible for the motorist to defend himself.

That is a silly statement. "An Old Guy" made an idiotic statement. But, why the hell shouldn't someone be shocked about a cop shooting a poor dog because his owner warranted a house raiding? A dog is murdered because some piece of shit is selling a bit of drugs... As long as the guy was not innocent, HELL yes I am more worried about a dog being murdered than a drug dealer who has his house raided and is shot because he threatened the police officer's life... Or in your fantasy is the dealer innocent and was reaching for gum or yawning??
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're reading into it too much. The reference to the raids was made in order to draw a parallel between 1) Old Guy's blasé attitude toward a cyclist being run over because in his mind, the cyclist had some culpability in setting off the driver, and 2) people's blasé attitude toward gestapo-like raids because, as with the cyclist, the dealers had some culpability in dealing. Whether the police shot the suspects in self-defense or not, I never considered. The people surveyed were never asked whether the particular shootings were justified. It's all about the attitude toward perceived culpability...if you are not sin-free, you deserve anything that comes your way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Trek 1000 (rain/snow/sleet/monsoon)
Last edited by: mikegarmin4: Feb 25, 13 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I understand your intent. I agreed with your ideals, just not the parallel using the dog scenario. I whole heartedly disagree with "an old guy"s perspective, and while agreeing with your ideals, very much disagree with the scenario you used, as I couldn't care less about the drug dealer (unless this turned out to be a wrongful death/unwarranted raid...has happened before..), but am upset with the canine casualty. I see the dog and the cyclists as the ultimate victims in these two scenarios...
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
squid wrote:
But, what were the circumstance that set him off? The pack of cyclists.....

Huh?! So using your logic, if I see a motorist flaunt the law, which all do at some point, it's understandable that I may get angry and use deadly force against them?! They would share in the blame for the encounter?

You were not present. You have no personal knowledge that the driver was at fault. That is the problem. We only have a story told by one side.

---

Just for general information. I was hit by and left by the side of the road by a motorist. For a long time I wanted him punished. But I got over it.

I'm not sure what you're responding to. Maybe the voices in your head. I was commenting on MOP's logic, not the veracity of the OP's statement
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:
Interesting perspective. It reminds me of the latest tv episode of John Stossel which highlighted the recent rise in nazi-like raids in the homes of suspected drug dealers by local law enforcement. In 100% of the raids studied, the suspect's dog was shot by police. People surveyed on the raids almost invariably didn't care about the sudpect being shot, but they all expressed shock at the dog being shot. I would assume you join with these people.

The 8th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was adopted to preclude psychopath government officials from, say, running over a cyclist as punishment for rolling through a stop sign. I hope you're a private sector guy.

An Old Guy wrote:

---

---

I was not there. I do not have knowledge of how the bicyclists were riding or what the traffic conditions were.

But I do know how some bicyclists, even professionals, ride. It is not always legal or safe. (Yes, I too have been guilty of less than perfect bicycle riding.)

It is hard to know what happened. It is impossible for the motorist to defend himself.

That is a silly statement. "An Old Guy" made an idiotic statement. But, why the hell shouldn't someone be shocked about a cop shooting a poor dog because his owner warranted a house raiding? A dog is murdered because some piece of shit is selling a bit of drugs... As long as the guy was not innocent, HELL yes I am more worried about a dog being murdered than a drug dealer who has his house raided and is shot because he threatened the police officer's life... Or in your fantasy is the dealer innocent and was reaching for gum or yawning??

While I'd rather see them tranquilize or otherwise incapacitate the dog, I can understand the need. The cops have no guarantee that the dog isn't attack trained, and I'd rather see the dog shot than a cop torn up.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikegarmin4 wrote:
Old Guy's blasé attitude toward a cyclist being run over because in his mind, the cyclist had some culpability in setting off the driver,

Never said the bicyclists did anything wrong. All I said was we were not there and have no idea of what happened.

I have seen bicyclists, racers, amateurs and pros riding on the road. They fall down. Without any help they fall down. They even knock each other down. Sometimes riding alone they fall off the road and die. They don't make a big deal out of a bit of road rash or even broken bones. But if a bicyclist is inconvenienced and there is a car within a mile - the driver is at fault and needs to be punished.

You get your opinions. I get mine. With your opinions, I would prefer for you to not ride near me.

---

As I recall following too close is against the law. Maybe we should put bicyclists who follow to closely in jail.

Obstruction of traffic is when you are proceding at less than the posted speed and 5 vehicles are behind you. At least that is the view of the courts near me. By that definition the group was obstructing traffic - themselves, and had some obligations.

So now we have traffic violations. The bicyclist who told this story admitted that the bicyclists were violating these laws. I bet that is their practice - they simply ignore the law when they are out riding.

I don't mind the law ignoring bicyclists ignoring the law, but to thinnk they are blameless is just wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
mattbk wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:

An Old Guy wrote:

---

---

While I'd rather see them tranquilize or otherwise incapacitate the dog, I can understand the need. The cops have no guarantee that the dog isn't attack trained, and I'd rather see the dog shot than a cop torn up.

John

They chose their career. It is not an easy one. Why stop at the dog? Why not kill everything. The other people in the house could be bodyguards. I'd rather see the cops use methods that don't require them to kill a dog because they want to bust some low level asshole. The dog(s) in question were not shot because a hostage was being rescued where time was of the essence. What if you are the dog? Rather see yourself shot opposed to the cop worrying about whether you have attack skills? There are many cases where dogs are shot for ease. I have seen in my old apartment complex. Plenty of cases out there where there was no real cause, just an asshole or a pussy...
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
echappist wrote:

God smites a kitten every time an ignoramous confesses to his/her ignorance. You don't want kittens to die, do you?

That depends. Perhaps the kittens did something really bad to make god angry.

According to An Old Guy, the kittens need to just 'get over' being smote.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:
Old Guy's blasé attitude toward a cyclist being run over because in his mind, the cyclist had some culpability in setting off the driver,

Never said the bicyclists did anything wrong. All I said was we were not there and have no idea of what happened.

I have seen bicyclists, racers, amateurs and pros riding on the road. They fall down. Without any help they fall down. They even knock each other down. Sometimes riding alone they fall off the road and die. They don't make a big deal out of a bit of road rash or even broken bones. But if a bicyclist is inconvenienced and there is a car within a mile - the driver is at fault and needs to be punished.

You get your opinions. I get mine. With your opinions, I would prefer for you to not ride near me.

---

As I recall following too close is against the law. Maybe we should put bicyclists who follow to closely in jail.

Obstruction of traffic is when you are proceding at less than the posted speed and 5 vehicles are behind you. At least that is the view of the courts near me. By that definition the group was obstructing traffic - themselves, and had some obligations.

So now we have traffic violations. The bicyclist who told this story admitted that the bicyclists were violating these laws. I bet that is their practice - they simply ignore the law when they are out riding.

I don't mind the law ignoring bicyclists ignoring the law, but to thinnk they are blameless is just wrong.

Now you're just making shit up to support your "argument".

OP has already stated that they were riding TO THE RIGHT of the white line, in a wide shoulder - not obstructing this driver, and certainly not obstructing more than this "5 vehicle" threshold you reference. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4441201#4441201
(I know - one side of the story, yada yada)

As others have mentioned, the fact that the cops saw enough in this to press charges (and let's not forget this douchenozzle was found attempting to clean the evidence off his vehicle) speaks volumes.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Feb 25, 13 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:

---

You are completely making shit up.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:

---

I must have missed the post when the OP said they were violating any traffic laws.

But here is a first-hand account of the incident, published a few minutes ago:
http://velonews.competitor.com/...s-hit-and-run_275971

Apparently the group was not obstructing traffic, and was not violating any traffic laws, as per the OP's description.

So again, how were these cyclists to blame for a car ramming them off the road?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said I would ignore you, but I can't ignore this bait.

First, you say...
An Old Guy wrote:

Then, you say...
An Old Guy wrote:

Like I said, you are a master at attempting and FAILING at doublespeak. First, you don't know what happened because you didn't see it firsthand. Then, you magically know what happened?!?!?!?!?! And on top of that, your account of what happened is WRONG!!!! The OP clearly stated many times that his team was riding ON THE SHOULDER...NOT IN THE ROAD. Therefore, there was NO obstruction. What's the matter with you???? More importantly, what's the matter with me in continually taking your bait. You must be doing this as a prank. Is this John C? Nobody can be this foolish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Trek 1000 (rain/snow/sleet/monsoon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just think he's quite a good troll. Not so outrageous that you completely ignore him, but he makes (just) ridiculous enough statements that you feel obliged to at least say something. But I suspect he will be ignored more and more going forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I just think he's quite a good troll. Not so outrageous that you completely ignore him, but he makes (just) ridiculous enough statements that you feel obliged to at least say something. But I suspect he will be ignored more and more going forward.

I started ignoring him after he defended the Ass Hat who was following the two cyclists from Colorado and continually blowing his horn.

And I quote from Mr Old Guy...."The horn was annoying. As it is intended to be. The driver kept a reasonable distance certainly more distance than bicyclists keep. I don't see harrassment."

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I started ignoring him after he defended the Ass Hat who was following the two cyclists from Colorado and continually blowing his horn.

And I quote from Mr Old Guy...."The horn was annoying. As it is intended to be. The driver kept a reasonable distance certainly more distance than bicyclists keep. I don't see harrassment."

You should read some of his training posts. He claims to be able to do 3hr rides at 90% multiple times a week. This is guy is a piece of work.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently this Kinkade guy is the owner of an electric guitar pickup company called Skatterbane in Tuscon. Surprised there has been no comments to his twitter handle yet!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:

---

Please. Stop. Now.

This is painful to watch. You are digging a hole so deep there will be no hope of return to the real world.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [chase196126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Protect yourselves out there folks

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.onelesshiker.com
http://www.twitch.tv/1horsepower
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [greatwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind, I read the OP incorrectly.
Last edited by: Sluglas: Feb 25, 13 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Sluglas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sluglas wrote:
Just curious, and maybe this gets answered later in the thread, but if you guys were on the right, how did he sideswipe somebody with the driver's side door?

OP mentions the scratch was on the passenger door.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good! Dumb bastard's gonna get what he deserves! Ha! Trying to wash his car clean of any evidence.
Last edited by: kloofyroland: Feb 25, 13 14:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next