Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whoosh.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [chase196126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he gets every bit of what he deserves.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
However, understanding why drivers become infuriated by cyclists can help reduce the frequency of this type of occurrence.
Isn't this analogous to forcing women to cover up and not show any skin to prevent men from being 'turned on' and sexually assaulting the tramps and sluts walking around with their legs exposed?

No.

Civil behavior on public roads requires courtesy and obeying traffic laws by all. Those that disregard these tenets infuriate others, whether they're drivers, cyclists, or pedestrians.

Skimpy clothing is not illegal. Blowing stop signs or not keeping right (in places) is. (Not that clothing, stop signs, or keeping right is an issue in this particular case.)

Of course I don't believe that scantily-clad women are responsible should they be assaulted. Nor do I believe that cyclists are responsible when they are. But, cyclists as a group do bear some responsibility for infuriating drivers. That does not imply that being infuriated justifies assault.

I'm a cyclist too. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on public roads in the US and had my share of honks, rude comments, and buzz by's. I get it. But I've also seen lots of dumb-ass riding by cyclists that fuels driver animosity towards us. This we-got-to-stick-together-it's-us-against-the-drivers tribe mentality is counter productive.

We're really looking at two separate issues as this thread has diverged:

1) This driver (assuming the information provided so far is accurate) assaulted a group of cyclists and should be punished for his actions.

2) Cyclists in general, not necessarily in this particular case, aren't doing themselves any favors when they ride irresponsibly/illegally/discourteously.

Some on this thread have conflated these two issues and/or have misunderstood my posts here.

A majority of cars I see on the highway speed sometimes. Almost every pedestrian I know jaywalks sometimes.

So can we just point out that everytime a pedestrian gets hit by a car that they really aren't doing themselves any favors by jaywalking at other times. And maybe since so may drives seem to speed really they shouldn't complain so much when they have an accident, even if it's not their "fault." Really they're not doing themselves any favors by breaking the law so much.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmanners wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Sometimes this is so appropriate ... for cowards in their cars ...

No it is not , but glad the cyclist and support vehicles were able to keep their heads together and act appropriately. Hope the guy in the car gets what he deserves.

Regarding the part you wrote (bolded by me): the problem is, both you and I know that never happens to the psychopaths behind the wheel. They nearly always get off with little more than a slap on the wrist. While the guys or gals on bikes end up paralyzed for life, or on a long forced sleep six feet under ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [mikegarmin4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turn the camera down to 720p resolution and you should be able to get 60fps, at least thats what mine can do. 720p should be sufficient in terms of resolution to capture a license number I would think.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So deliberately driving into a group of cyclists with your motor vehicle, having harassed them beforehand, and then driving away = anger management class? Maybe on planet road rage, but for the rest of us, not so much. Try to remember that you only own the vehicle you drive, not the road.

Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats awesome, good to hear you dealt with the problem properly!

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HXB wrote:
Turn the camera down to 720p resolution and you should be able to get 60fps, at least thats what mine can do. 720p should be sufficient in terms of resolution to capture a license number I would think.

Sweet. I just noticed that. Much smoother. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Trek 1000 (rain/snow/sleet/monsoon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.foxnews.com/...d-death-lawyer-says/

Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terrible. Hope this gets a lot of press

Boiler Up!
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
But, what were the circumstance that set him off? The pack of cyclists.....

Huh?! So using your logic, if I see a motorist flaunt the law, which all do at some point, it's understandable that I may get angry and use deadly force against them?! They would share in the blame for the encounter?

You were not present. You have no personal knowledge that the driver was at fault. That is the problem. We only have a story told by one side.

---

Just for general information. I was hit by and left by the side of the road by a motorist. For a long time I wanted him punished. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
squid wrote:

Huh?! So using your logic, if I see a motorist flaunt the law, which all do at some point, it's understandable that I may get angry and use deadly force against them?! They would share in the blame for the encounter?

You were not present. You have no personal knowledge that the driver was at fault. That is the problem. We only have a story told by one side.
If we find out that one of the cyclists was packing heat and they pulled out their gun and pointed it at the driver (hey, this is America), then it's going to put a different light on this incident.

But I've got to think the more likely scenario is that the driver was a jerk and he deserves to be punished.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There can be no justification for running over cyclists except self defense. Areyou saying that was a possibility here? This automobile driver's life was threatened by a wild pack of pro cyclists?

You're playing devil's advocate to an untenable level.

Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikegarmin4 wrote:
There can be no justification for running over cyclists except self defense. Areyou saying that was a possibility here? This automobile driver's life was threatened by a wild pack of pro cyclists?

You're playing devil's advocate to an untenable level.
Commonly referred to as trolling...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
squid wrote:

---

Just for general information. I was hit by and left by the side of the road by a motorist. For a long time I wanted him punished. But I got over it.

You are the same poster that tried to argue that the driver in Colorado that was honking his horn for minutes wasn't wrong and the cyclists were in the wrong despite reading the actual law that I posted proving you wrong. You have zero credibility on this board. Please do the board a favor and go away.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:
squid wrote:

---

You are the same poster that tried to argue that the driver in Colorado that was honking his horn for minutes wasn't wrong and the cyclists were in the wrong despite reading the actual law that I posted proving you wrong. You have zero credibility on this board. Please do the board a favor and go away.

I just read the thread you referenced. This guy has an uncanny knack for being wrong on simple issues, and he's a master at attempting and failing at doublespeak to avoid fessing up to his ignorance. I didn't know he had priors. I'm going to ignore going forward. An anti-bike guy on a tri website, who rides 1/2 mile a day...less than I walk my dog. Not worth it.

Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mikegarmin4 wrote:
trimick wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:
squid wrote:

---

I just read the thread you referenced. This guy has an uncanny knack for being wrong on simple issues, and he's a master at attempting and failing at doublespeak to avoid fessing up to his ignorance. I didn't know he had priors. I'm going to ignore going forward. An anti-bike guy on a tri website, who rides 1/2 mile a day...less than I walk my dog. Not worth it.

I don't understand why he doesn't just admit that he is wrong. He is wrong on this thread just like he was wrong on the earlier thread, but he keep trying to argue his point. I don't understand people like him. Old Dude grow up and admit that you are wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [PhilDBasket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilDBasket wrote:

Man, I was 'slammed' about ten years ago but was able to stop a few inches from the back of a pickup. I was really glad I had Dura-Ace breaks because I could have crashed and caused my wheel to brake. I was lucky to get unclipped because there was nothing to brake my fall.

Even after all these years I still brake into a sweat just thinking about it.

You're lucky you didn't loose control and hit the back of the truck. The driver must have had a screw lose.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:

In pretty much every civilized jurisdiction, private citizens aren't allowed to use force against one another unless there is an immanent threat. As Alvin said, unless one of the cyclists was aiming a gun at the driver of the truck I can't really think of any scenario where a cyclist would be able to pose a meaningful threat that would justify actively forcing them off the road. Even at full downhill speed, a 150-200lbs bike+rider isn't going to be able to produce enough force to take a 1.5-2 tonne truck off its line. If you can propose a situation where that was the case, I'd certainly be interested to hear it.

An Old Guy wrote:
But, what were the circumstance that set him off?

Even if something did happen up the road, that is patently irrelevant to the situation here. If I was driving my car and another car cut me off, then a mile down the road I pulled ahead and forced him into a ditch the former incident wouldn't have any bearing on my case. The law doesn't allow for vengeance, so whether someone did something to make me 'angry' doesn't really come into play. The moment their actions ceased to threaten my life, I lost any right to take direct action against them. You can swear at them and give them the finger if you'd like, and if they've broken the law you can call the police, but private individuals don't have the right to dole out punishment. The type of people who get violent just because someone made them angry are exactly the type that should be segregated from society - not to punish them, but to prevent them from killing the next person that peeves them off.

Naturally, figuring out what sets people off is important to consider in avoiding scenarios like this in the future, but it has nothing to do with dealing with this particular case. Doing things that are discourteous creates a bad image for cyclists and it makes it harder for all of us, but it is never a justification for violent reactions. It goes the other way as well - if some car cuts you off, you don't have the right to take a U-Lock to their rear windscreen when you catch up to them at a traffic light.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [tsapiano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HI McDonough did time in the Maricopa County facility. Twice. He was a repeat Oh fender.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
mikegarmin4 wrote:
trimick wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:
squid wrote:

---

I don't understand why he doesn't just admit that he is wrong. He is wrong on this thread just like he was wrong on the earlier thread, but he keep trying to argue his point. I don't understand people like him. Old Dude grow up and admit that you are wrong.

God smites a kitten every time an ignoramous confesses to his/her ignorance. You don't want kittens to die, do you?
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
God smites a kitten every time an ignoramous confesses to his/her ignorance. You don't want kittens to die, do you?

That depends. Perhaps the kittens did something really bad to make god angry.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
[

Since no one got hurt 10 years seems pretty excessive. Anger management classes and a few months jail time is appropriate.

Do you have children? If they were out riding their bikes and some guy drove up, yelled profanities at them and then hit one of them with his car, do you think a 10 year sentence would be too much?

What do you think are the odds this guy has never done anything like this before? Sounds like a complete lunatic. We are lucky he was apprehended before he could do serious harm.

Five to ten years sounds pretty fair to me. It is only perhaps luck that somebody was not seriously injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chase196126 wrote:
He also said someone at the prosecutors office got wind of the cyclingnews article and because of this took up the case. Maybe they will use this guy as an example to show how seriously they take cyclist safety, hopefully drawing more cycling tourism to Tucson.

You know what? Good idea on their part! I honestly am more likely to go to Tucson now, knowing that the entire town government supports safety.

Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
Sorry if your taking a hammering here OG.

I believe it fair to argue that we do have multiple sides to the story. Presumably the driver said his piece to the Tuscon Police, yet they still considered the evidence enough to proceed with charges.
Quote Reply

Prev Next