Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mac wrote:
cyclops wrote:
chase196126 wrote:

However this works out in the end the guy is at least spending today in jail, which is a lot more than many other incidents. I would love to see the book thrown at him, though. 10 years in FMITA prison to teach him a real lesson.

Since no one got hurt 10 years seems pretty excessive. Anger management classes and a few months jail time is appropriate.

Is this meant to be in pink font?
So, if someone shoots at you with a gun, but misses you - no harm...go to anger mgmt class?

Shooting someone with a gun is much more likely to result in death than slamming your breaks on someone.

Now since the dent was on the side door?? That indicates the driver side swiped into the cyclist? That is much more dangerous than slamming your breaks on someone. An able bodied competitive cyclist should be able to withstand a slam on the breaks, but a side slam? That's pretty sketchy.

No doubt, this was a dirt bag act. I don't support it. What I don't support is excessive punishment compelled by emotion.
Last edited by: cyclops: Feb 22, 13 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt, that action could have easily resulted in death, the fact that no one died is fortunate but the potential of the weapon used is extremely serious, give him 10.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify what happened. I was the 2nd row back and saw everything up close and personal:

The guy in the car came past our group screaming about how we should get off the road. He then deliberately rammed the front two riders with the side of his car. He didn't slam on his brakes, he didn't come too close trying to buzz us, he turned into our lead riders to run them off the road. It was a miracle that no one was sucked under his car.

An intentional assault with a motor vehicle is no less dangerous to a cyclists life than an assault with a gun. 10 years would be entirely appropriate in this instance. A cyclist is totally at the mercy of a driver. If you try to dodge an attack by a person in a car, chances are you will crash and sustain severe injuries regardless of whether or not you make contact with the car.
Last edited by: chase196126: Feb 22, 13 21:08
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [chase196126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it on CyclingNews and cringed because your roommate, Dr. Phil, is a friend. Of course I still haven't forgotten about you beating me at the VoS TT when we were 2s but I'm really glad you guys are ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
Mac wrote:
cyclops wrote:
chase196126 wrote:

However this works out in the end the guy is at least spending today in jail, which is a lot more than many other incidents. I would love to see the book thrown at him, though. 10 years in FMITA prison to teach him a real lesson.

Since no one got hurt 10 years seems pretty excessive. Anger management classes and a few months jail time is appropriate.

Is this meant to be in pink font?
So, if someone shoots at you with a gun, but misses you - no harm...go to anger mgmt class?

Shooting someone with a gun is much more likely to result in death than slamming your breaks on someone.

Now since the dent was on the side door?? That indicates the driver side swiped into the cyclist? That is much more dangerous than slamming your breaks on someone. An able bodied competitive cyclist should be able to withstand a slam on the breaks, but a side slam? That's pretty sketchy.

No doubt, this was a dirt bag act. I don't support it. What I don't support is excessive punishment compelled by emotion.

hi lighted for you cyclops, since even in America - more people are murdered err, sorry killed with cars than guns....
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah - i get the assault charge and hope it sticks.

but really, if you intentionally (with clear premeditation) hit someone riding an 18-pound bike with a 2000-pound car . . . at what point do you call that attempted murder?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great work lets hope they give it to him.

see my blog http://www.ironmandanonline.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [IMD933] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People in their cars are scary. I'm amazed everyday at the stupid sh*t people do even whenI'm in my care driving to work.

I'm glad caught him and that he is being prosecuted. Hopefully he gets "the works".

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [guppie58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guppie58 wrote:
It wasn't the driver, it was the car. We should look into banning the type of car he drove or at least limiting the amount of fuel he can put in it. That will solve the problem.

You and I both like ALL civil rights contained in the Bill of Rights, not just 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Does this mean we're friends now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speed Concept 9 (race)
Madone 5 (training)
Trek 1000 (rain/snow/sleet/monsoon)
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [mikegarmin4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as the cops were hassling The Shootout when I lived in Tucson, its good to hear/read this OP.

Here's hoping that we're not 'second class citizens' on the road for much longer.

M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
chase196126 wrote:

If you do that to a police officer on bike patrol you will get an attempted murder charge. Attacks on citizens should be treated with the same level of vigor.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He must have been insane thinking that he could hit someone in front of 15+ witnesses and get away with it.

Glad they got this guy. Good to hear that the police were fully cooperative.

I find drivers routinely loose their minds when cyclists are involved.

Really? You are trying to make that pass in the other lane around a blind curve or hill, with on-coming traffic? Yes, I am going left and changing lanes. That's what the extended straight arm, that I have had out there in front of you for the last 10 seconds means. No, there is not enough room for you to squeeze through the gap, of a tight (legal) double pace line on a two lane road with on-coming traffic right there. Yes, I really am going the speed limit of 40 or 50 kmh an hour on this slight downhill. Why do you need to pass me? No, you'll get no further ahead, because there is a red-light right up ahead. Yes, despite what you are saying, bikes are allowed on the road. No, you are not anonymous in your obviously identifiable car, with a unique number on it . . . . . and so on.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 23, 13 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do that to a police officer on bike patrol you will get an attempted murder charge. Attacks on citizens should be treated with the same level of vigor.

Agreed, but the courts and judges seem to go light on drivers who have committed serious crimes while driving - right on up to vehicular homicide. I am not sure why it is. Often, there is no criminal past record on the part of the driver, and they may even have a clean driving record( not making excuses - just trying to figure what's going through a judges head).

Any sort of sentence of this kind means driving, if they ever get their license back, will be an extraordinarily expensive affair for the rest of that persons life. Try getting a decent rate for insurance with that sort of thing on your record!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cyclist is totally at the mercy of a driver. If you try to dodge an attack by a person in a car, chances are you will crash and sustain severe injuries regardless of whether or not you make contact with the car.

This is the one thing that really get's at me. Yes drivers are asses. Yes, some/many of them have no idea what they are doing. Yes even some cyclists are asses. However, do the car drivers not understand the basic physics of the situation that almost any, collision or contact between a car and a cyclist is always going to turn out far, far worse for the cyclist than the car driver. In fact, it can be catastophic and fatal for the cyclist while the car driver and even their vehicle are complete unscathed. So why the cavalier attitude then and the almost complete lack of respect from many drivers?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad no one got hurt.

---

A fine is enough. No need to ruin the guys life more than that..

---

On the other hand few people commit such acts without provaction.

I was not there. I do not have knowledge of how the bicyclists were riding or what the traffic conditions were.

But I do know how some bicyclists, even professionals, ride. It is not always legal or safe. (Yes, I too have been guilty of less than perfect bicycle riding.)

It is hard to know what happened. It is impossible for the motorist to defend himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Dirt bag picked the wrong cyclists [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you a complete fucking idiot? So if I'm acting like an asshole its perfectly understandable that someone tries to shoot or stab me? Cause that is exactly what happened here except the weapon was a car. How someone can be stupid enough to make the statements you just did is beyond me.