Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank?
Quote | Reply
I've read a lot of online 'reviews' and experience and seems to be a mixed bag. I'm looking to use 11 speed on my existing 10 speed Quarq...all other components and wheels will be 11 speed specific.. Most accounts indicate it doesn't cause any major issues, but can impact shifting a bit or could cause rub in the small ring and smallest cog.

Anyone have experience to share?
Last edited by: jb4iu: Feb 26, 15 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [jb4iu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, 11spd Shimano on a 10spd Quarq. Has worked fine for plenty of miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [jb4iu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always put 11 speed chainrings on the quarq right?

anyway I currently have shuimano 11 speed running on a 10/11 speed big ring and a 9/10 speed inner ring...a cheap crappy 9/10 speed inner ring. Shifts fine.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just upgraded to 11spd Di2, but left the 10spd chain set. I haven't noticed any difference in change quality. Wouldn't know about the small/small combination, as there's no reason to use that combination. If it does make a noise, it's probably a good reminder that you should be in the big chainring ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 10 speed rings can be used with 11 without problem but... the front derailleur has to be specifically for 10 or 11, although you can save the situation with a 10 using a 11 chain...

In the back 11 speed specific chain+derailleur+cogs are a must.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes...you could put 11 speed rings on the quarq but that won't make much of a difference if any as the internal dimensions of the 11 speed chain are essentially the same as the 10 speed. As I understand it the outer width is less and as a result the spacing of the chain rings is different on 11 speed specific cranks to account for this.

Sounds like it's broadly working for folks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup same here. 11 spd everything (Ultegra Di2) except 10 spd Quarq crank/10 spd chainrings. All is good. No trouble shifting and never dropped the chain even once (pretty sure anyway) in six months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jb4iu wrote:
As I understand it the outer width is less and as a result the spacing of the chain rings is different on 11 speed specific cranks to account for this.

Ahh, I did not know that.
I suppose one could make chainrings to account for that too, don't know if anyone has. Appears that it may not be cessary.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add me to the list of those using 10-speed cranskets/chainrings with 11-speed components with no issues. I've used both Shimano and Sram with the same results. DA 7900 SRM with Ultegra 6800 components, and Quarq w/ 10-spd rings and Force 22 components.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [fward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fward wrote:
A 10 speed rings can be used with 11 without problem but... the front derailleur has to be specifically for 10 or 11

I am running 11 speed on SRAM Red 10sp cranks and a SRAM Red 10sp Yaw front derailleur. I didn't notice any drop off in shifting performance when i switched to 11sp.
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what I know the 11spd front derailleur is just a bit narrower to fit the 11spd chain, the 10spd is a bit "wider" not sure about the exact tolerance. For a perfect fit 11-11 and 10-10 chain-derailleur (front). The back part of the train is a must to have the same.

It is true that 10spd can accommodate a 11 chain, not a big problem... but the design is not made for that, it will shift and at the end you don't shift so many times the front as the rear train.

The rings are the same as the inner space of the chain is the same. What is different is the wall. Well at least when I did a test on my own at home the last year.

br
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went in to check out a new P3. Very nice. However, my shop was adamant that my BB30 10-speed quarq cinco wouldn't work with the 11-speed ultegra drive train. Is this exactly what you are successfully running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 Quarqs, one is a Red and the other is an Elsa. The Red has 10 speed X-Glide rings and the Elsa has 10 speed PowerGlide rings.

The Red is paired with a Red 22 group and the Elsa is with a Force 22 setup. They both shift up and down wonderfully.

With the PowerGlide rings, there is some chain rub (chain rubbing the big ring) when I use 34 with 11 and 12. The XGlide rings avoid this issue because they have material removed from that area to prevent chain rubbing.

FWIW: I have tried to measure a Red (10 Speed Yaw) and Red 22 Front Derailleur dimensions and can't come up with any differences, if it's there, I'm not seeing it.
Last edited by: rijndael: May 8, 15 14:31
Quote Reply
Re: Direct experience using 11 speed with 10 speed crank? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Just went in to check out a new P3. Very nice. However, my shop was adamant that my BB30 10-speed quarq cinco wouldn't work with the 11-speed ultegra drive train. Is this exactly what you are successfully running?

That's bs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running 11 speed SRAM with a 10 speed SRAM Red Quarq. It works just fine. I get a little chain rub in the small ring and small cog, but you should never be cross-chained that badly anyways...

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another person with Ultegra 6800 everything except the Quarq SRAM crank.
Oh, Also running a SRAM S950 crank, Power2Max and chain rings with an Ultegra 6800 setup on my road bike.

Not a single issue with either.
Quote Reply