Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Diet/nutrition - race week
Quote | Reply
I've got a full distance IM this sunday (the Outlaw in the UK). What are peoples views on being pretty strict diet-wise and trying to lose those last couple of pounds before race day?

Obviously I won't be training as much so won't need much fuel for training sessions, and I know on Friday/Saturday I'll be eating plenty to keep my energy stores topped up and ready to go. But from today --> Thursday is there any harm in trying to ensure I'm going into the weekend as light as possible?

Appreciate any feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/nutrition - race week [spraggz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you would be better off not trying to lose any more in the final week. You want to be fully hydrated and topped up with glycogen. In one week are you are only going to lose max 2-3lbs and that wont make a huge difference (Outlaw is quite flat isn't it) but turning up without being fully fueled up will make a bigger difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Diet/nutrition - race week [spraggz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be hydrating and carb loading this week. Building up the glycogen and water stores. Losing weight (as in actual fat loss) is going to deplete you. Attempting to drop any weight now will leave you completely flat on race day.

Your best bet now is to just eat healthy, eat well, and if you are still concerned about some extra weight, worry about trying to lose it later. Don't forget to eat well for a week or two after the race to help your body heal from the stupidity of a full IM.

Ironman racing and losing weight are not really compatible goals.
Quote Reply