Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Di2 or red 22?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new groupo for the 2014 speed concept. Di2 ultegra seems reasonably priced .... How is it? A friend said he hated electronic.

My last bike, a P2 with Red, seemed that the gears I wanted were in between the small and large ring on the cassette. I was shifting a lot to avoid cross chaining. Red 22 claims to be able to use all gears without trimming, even when cross chaining. Sounds sweet.

So, what's the deal?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Di2 setup auto trims the front mech and also has the advantage of being able to have shifters on the brake levers of a TT setup. This is why I'd choose it over mechanical. I also find chaining into the big ring at the front a bit of an effort sometimes and worry about dropping the chain. I could get better at setting up my bike, but Di2 seems to sort that out itself. You can also programme multiple shifts into the Di2 system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be interested in why your friend hated electronic. I think I can safely say that people I personally know who have switched to Di2 have universally liked it. A few had some issues on earlier models, or if it hadn't been installed properly (or if they were daft enough to not recharge the battery), but once set up and working they all loved it. I haven't made the switch yet, but my next bike will definitely be Di2.

Running small-small or large-large is quite inefficient even if trimming isn't an issue, and it shouldn't be necessary to constantly switch between large and small chain-rings unless you're on a very hilly route. So I'd also take a look at your choice of cassette and chainrings to get a combo that suits you better, regardless of which group set you go for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Looking for a new groupo for the 2014 speed concept. Di2 ultegra seems reasonably priced .... How is it? A friend said he hated electronic.

My last bike, a P2 with Red, seemed that the gears I wanted were in between the small and large ring on the cassette. I was shifting a lot to avoid cross chaining. Red 22 claims to be able to use all gears without trimming, even when cross chaining. Sounds sweet.

So, what's the deal?

I had the red groupset on my 2014 SC when I originally purchased it. I decided to upgrade to Dura ace DI2 and honestly feel that I should have done it earlier. The shifting is pretty much perfect every time and never had an issue.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
jharris wrote:

So, what's the deal?

I had the red groupset on my 2014 SC when I originally purchased it. I decided to upgrade to Dura ace DI2 and honestly feel that I should have done it earlier. The shifting is pretty much perfect every time and never had an issue.

Thanks

Was it Red or the new Red 22? The problem I had on my P2, was that the chain would rub when I had 3 or 4 cogs until I was at the end of the cassette. So, I would shift the front chain ring and I would have the opposite issue, where the chain would rub when I had 3-4 cogs on the other side of the cassette. Annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from Ultegra 6800 to 6870 di2 on my SC and can't imagine ever going back to mech. Triathlon bikes are the perfect platform for di2. The ability to safely and easily shift from the base bar made the swap worth it. It's simple to do, relatively cheap, and an all around great upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read, but not verified that the ultegra FD di2 can only go up to 53t ring, if that matters,. I cant see how that would be the case, but saw it somewhere
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobbie wrote:
I also find chaining into the big ring at the front a bit of an effort sometimes and worry about dropping the chain. I could get better at setting up my bike, but Di2 seems to sort that out itself.

I have zero issues with electronic shift, so this isn't an anti post.

But that has nothing to do with electronic vs mechanical and that part of the setup is limit screw, angle, and height adjustments 100% which are mechanical and the same between the two. If you can setup an electronic setup to not throw the chain you can do it with mechanical too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once Di2 is property adjusted it shifts exactly the same every time. Weight is the only reason I can think of going with Red, but I'd rather have perfect shifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If money isn't an issue, than Di2 is probably your best option, but I can't imagine I will ever go electronic (because I can't afford it). I actually prefer sram TT shifters, but assume the electronic shifters for tt are easy. I HATE the ultegra shifters. They look and feel awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2, especially on a tri bike. That has made a huge difference for me in my local races, which tend to be hilly, so the ability to shift from both positions helps quite a bit. I also love how I can go really hard and still shift perfectly.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
di2...not even a debate...unless you are sponsored by SRAM I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a tri bike, I'd go whatever is cheapest. Sure it's nice to be able to shift electronically from the bullhorns, but more of a luxury than a necessity. With bar-end shifters, everything shifts exactly the same from Dura Ace, Red22, down to 105. If I had tons of money for the project, I'd go Di2, otherwise, I'd get the cheapest Shimano 11-speed setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red/Force 22 is the best mechanical shifting out there. Similarly DI2 is the best shifting period, no debate. It comes down to your desire/willingness to handle the potential reliability issues with DI2 and the potential lack of support. I personally do not use DI2 simply because if i am out on a training ride i cannot fix the issue on my own. The reliability issues are getting better but they are something that does exist and i have seen personally on group rides (guys getting stuck in one gear).

Edit: Obviously the advantages are greater for a TT bike than road bike. As a roadie a TT bike is something i do not ride as often and would have no issue with DI2 since i am not training on it day in day out in the middle of nowhere. But if it was my primary training bike or only bike i would stick with mechanical simply because of how easy mechanical is to fix.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Dec 18, 14 15:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd choose Shimano 105 over any SRAM group. I don't know why anyone would voluntarily choose SRAM.

Di2 vs. SRAM? Fugetaboutit.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Be interested in why your friend hated electronic. I think I can safely say that people I personally know who have switched to Di2 have universally liked it. A few had some issues on earlier models, or if it hadn't been installed properly (or if they were daft enough to not recharge the battery), but once set up and working they all loved it. I haven't made the switch yet, but my next bike will definitely be Di2.

Running small-small or large-large is quite inefficient even if trimming isn't an issue, and it shouldn't be necessary to constantly switch between large and small chain-rings unless you're on a very hilly route. So I'd also take a look at your choice of cassette and chainrings to get a combo that suits you better, regardless of which group set you go for.

Apparently my friend said there are times that the system just doesn't work despite the fact that the battery claims it's charged. He said that DI two is really cool but he would never rely on it for an important race since he knows that sometimes it just doesn't want to cooperate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

So, what's the deal?
In Reply To:

Your friends experience doesn't sound like a typical Di2 user, most reviewers rave about how good it is.
I'd go ultegra over sram, that's a no brainer

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
cartsman wrote:

Apparently my friend said there are times that the system just doesn't work despite the fact that the battery claims it's charged. He said that DI two is really cool but he would never rely on it for an important race since he knows that sometimes it just doesn't want to cooperate.

Your friend doesn't know how to set up Di2.

Over 30 races this season (including a 12 hour and this beautiful 100 mile TT in a hurricane) with zero missed shifts or failures.

Last edited by: Grill: Dec 19, 14 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano > SRAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Red 22 gruppo for both road & tri bikes. It shifts where I need it, every time. Maybe people just don't know how to properly set up a mechanical groupset? Whatever the reasons for the comments above, I don't really understand. 'Results in the shift' suggest me to recommend Red 22.

The amount of athletes, especially pros that I know, who have had Di2 issues while racing makes me gasp as to why anyone would use it. Some of them are negligible, but for me, mechanical is the right choice. Since when has Shimano been cool anyway? SRAM has the swag, mate.

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the Red 22 for now because when SRAM comes out with their wireless electric groupo everybody that has Di2 will be looking to upgrade. Since SRAM is late to the electric game, I suspect that it will work well and have the cool factor with wireless. Anyone running Di2 will tell you that it's great but it's a pain to install.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
Go with the Red 22 for now because when SRAM comes out with their wireless electric groupo everybody that has Di2 will be looking to upgrade. Since SRAM is late to the electric game, I suspect that it will work well and have the cool factor with wireless.

I hope you are joiking because that is some funny shit right there.

I expect SRAM will be handing out warranty replacements like candy, just like it does with the rest of its stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
I love my Red 22 gruppo for both road & tri bikes. It shifts where I need it, every time. Maybe people just don't know how to properly set up a mechanical groupset? Whatever the reasons for the comments above, I don't really understand. 'Results in the shift' suggest me to recommend Red 22.

The amount of athletes, especially pros that I know, who have had Di2 issues while racing makes me gasp as to why anyone would use it. Some of them are negligible, but for me, mechanical is the right choice. Since when has Shimano been cool anyway? SRAM has the swag, mate.

The vast majority of the pro peloton is on Di2. I haven't noticed any increase in failure rate.

Aren't you sponsored by SRAM? Of course you're going to nut-swing, it's your job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
di2 is pretty excellent on a tri bike due to the convenience of satellite shifters on the brakes.

di2 ultegra proved reliable for the season that my wife used it. No failure or issues, with 15+ hours a week of riding and racing.

only downside is di2 ultegra is a bit heavy. if you are a contender to win ironman france, or savageman, that might be a downside.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 or red 22? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
di2 is pretty excellent on a tri bike due to the convenience of satellite shifters on the brakes.

di2 ultegra proved reliable for the season that my wife used it. No failure or issues, with 15+ hours a week of riding and racing.

only downside is di2 ultegra is a bit heavy. if you are a contender to win ironman france, or savageman, that might be a downside.

Could one just carry a little less water or one more bathroom stop before the race? :o)

Those buttons on the brakes seem pretty small. Seems like a better option is to use the Di2 road brakes?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next