Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 Dura Ace Battery question
Quote | Reply
Hi a friend of mine has a Quintana Roo CD0.1 with a 10sp Di2 Dura Ace setup and got a good deal on a PRSix frameset and wants to move most of his stuff over to the new frame. The CD0.1 uses a battery mounted to the bottom of the frame and the PRSix uses an internal battery in the seat post. Can he just buy this battery (mounted in the seat post) or does he need anything else?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [coolny29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He would probably need to buy a longer wire.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the charger for the junction box connection. not taking battery out to charge and external battery charger does not work on internal battery
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [coolny29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am assuming the Di2 is the 7970? If so, it's not as simple as buying an internal battery and plugging it in. Calfee used to make a conversion kit but has since stopped. As far as I know, if you want to go with an internal battery you'll have to upgrade the whole system. Otherwise just mount the external battery (if the PRSix allows for it).

I converted my old system as I had the Canyon Speedmax CF and didn't want to drill into the carbon to mount the external battery. Now I have the newer interneral 11-speed, and the main differences in the system is that with the new internal battery you charge from the front junction box. With the conversion system, I had a special charger with a special cable and charged through the front or rear derailleur cables.

If you have the old 7970 Di2, you'll have no where to charge the internal battery as the junction doesn't have the USB charger slot. Or maybe you'd be able to pull the battery out of the seat but that sort of eliminates the main feature of the internal battery.
Last edited by: trimdc: Mar 24, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great point! doh , i was stuck in 11spd land
Last edited by: jeffp: Mar 24, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimdc wrote:
I am assuming the Di2 is the 7970? If so, it's not as simple as buying an internal battery and plugging it in. Calfee used to make a conversion kit but has since stopped. As far as I know, if you want to go with an internal battery you'll have to upgrade the whole system. Otherwise just mount the external battery (if the PRSix allows for it).

I converted my old system as I had the Canyon Speedmax CF and didn't want to drill into the carbon to mount the external battery. Now I have the newer interneral 11-speed, and the main differences in the system is that with the new internal battery you charge from the front junction box. With the conversion system, I had a special charger with a special cable and charged through the front or rear derailleur cables.

If you have the old 7970 Di2, you'll have no where to charge the internal battery as the junction doesn't have the USB charger slot. Or maybe you'd be able to pull the battery out of the seat but that sort of eliminates the main feature of the internal battery.

This. 10spd DuraAce is totally different from every other DI2 groupset and nothing is compatible.

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can he not just buy an extra junction box and then the usb charger and unplug the RD cable and charge via the system? I do this but I believe my system only has the older brifters. I read some firmware versions have severely crippled the older systems ability to mix components.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 Dura Ace Battery question [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Can he not just buy an extra junction box and then the usb charger and unplug the RD cable and charge via the system? I do this but I believe my system only has the older brifters. I read some firmware versions have severely crippled the older systems ability to mix components.

No, the cables are totally different between 7970 DI2 and Etube (basically everything else, 6770, 6870, 9070, 9170, XT, XTR, alfine di2, etc).

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Last edited by: P90Puma: Mar 24, 17 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the education! I wouldn't have known this otherwise

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, whole new system, new cables, etc.
Quote Reply