Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Desoto 400 Mile Short
Quote | Reply
I've read alot of positive reviews on this short, and I'm close to picking up a pair for this year's season. The concern I have it the size of the pad. I'm currently wearing a pair of Pearl Tri shorts that have a thin pad. Has anyone had an issue with the Desoto 400 Mile shorts in a triathlon? I'm concerned with the pad holding water from the swim and causing irritation/chaffing during the bike or run with that moisture trapped in it. Just looking to see what others who race in these shorts think. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [cbquietfl66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the pad is waterproof (it floats). I've done 6 IM races in the 400 mile bibs comfortably.

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbquietfl66 wrote:
I've read alot of positive reviews on this short, and I'm close to picking up a pair for this year's season. The concern I have it the size of the pad. I'm currently wearing a pair of Pearl Tri shorts that have a thin pad. Has anyone had an issue with the Desoto 400 Mile shorts in a triathlon? I'm concerned with the pad holding water from the swim and causing irritation/chaffing during the bike or run with that moisture trapped in it. Just looking to see what others who race in these shorts think. Thanks in advance.

Do not have any concerns about this short. It is the shit. I worn it in every single triathlon I have done over the past 4 years including multiple ironmans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the 400 mile bib shorts all the time for riding and they are fantastic. I have used the Forza Rivierra Short for triathlon (Ironman and HIM) and it's just as good as the 400 mile short with a little less pad. I would go for the Rivierra for racing and use my 400 mile short for bike trg.

Quote | Reply
jmaley wrote:
I use the 400 mile bib shorts all the time for riding and they are fantastic. I have used the Forza Rivierra Short for triathlon (Ironman and HIM) and it's just as good as the 400 mile short with a little less pad. I would go for the Rivierra for racing and use my 400 mile short for bike trg.

+1 for this comment
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [jmaley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. I may need to find a store near me to check the Riviera as well and see the pad on it. With the shorts I have now I still have some soft tissue discomfort when wearing my current thin pad tri shorts, even with the Adamo. I feel great in a normal pair of bike shorts, but that thin pad...I have to adjust myself every few miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam in the Desoto 400M shorts at IMLP in 2010 and then rode, no problems. The pad was not waterlogged and there was no chafing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 best pair of shorts or bibs

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend you check out the Forza Riviera Tribib - the pad is the perfect balance of pad and float with still being supple and comfortable for running - the bibs rule. Get a pair from De Soto and if you don't like them, they have a phenomenal return / exchange policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+2 for the 400 mile bike training and Riviera tribib racing crew

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've been wondering this too. So just to be clear, you guys who swear by them are wearing the 400 mile shorts to run in during your IM, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [MichaelT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MichaelT wrote:
Yeah, I've been wondering this too. So just to be clear, you guys who swear by them are wearing the 400 mile shorts to run in during your IM, right?

Yes, dont notice the pad at all in the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [MichaelT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MichaelT wrote:

I've done IM run in the Riviera. The pad is definitely "there" but no bothersome/hindering and well worth the extra padding on the bike, compared to other tri shorts. I just got a pair of the 400 mile bibs. I wouldn't be comfortable running in that pad. That opinion comes from a guy who prefers regular running shorts any day of the week so to each his own.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how much time u really lose changing to a running short?

10-20 secs? pull down biking shot, pull up running short... do whatever else u have planned (for IM obviously); for HIM/Oly/Sprint I will go with very thin pad!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camaleon wrote:
how much time u really lose changing to a running short?

10-20 secs? pull down biking shot, pull up running short... do whatever else u have planned (for IM obviously); for HIM/Oly/Sprint I will go with very thin pad!

For me more than 10-20 seconds. I've only done 1 IM so I'm sure some efficiencies can be gained on my part. After 112 miles on the bike I was a little out of it and took longer than I'd like. Removing this step from the T1 and T2 process would be beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for my lack of elaboration. I use regular tri shorts for the entire race. I was just trying to say that I wear normal running shorts all the time while running as opposed to someone who runs in tri shorts all the time when they run. Thus having a big pad on my ass might be more noticeable than it is for some.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [Mc B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a pair of the Riviera bibs and my first session in them was a 1 hour road bike trainer ride followed by a 1 hour run and there was no chafing. I have also now done a 3 hour road ride in them and they were great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for training in the 400-milers and racing in the Rivieras. For me, for an IM-distance run, the size of the 400-mile pad is a bit much. I do all half and full IMs in the Rivieras.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Desoto 400 Mile Short [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the 400 mile short , the fit is great and feels great after hours in the saddle. I have used other products but this short has won me over. I also just wore a new skin cooler Jersey with the Forza short the other day to break them in for my season and again it wore well and handled the Florida humidity. This season will be my 30th season and it is off to a great start from a clothing standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbquietfl66 wrote:

Have never worn 400M, but have used rivieras and forzas for years. Turns out, I just do better without the pad, so my preference is the low cut Forzas. Rivieras are great too if you want a little padding in there though.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train in the 400mi bibs or shorts and race in the forzas tri shorts......this year the Forzas tri bibs. Great products.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Feb 26, 12 21:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last IM wore the 400 mile bibs under wetsuit. But for the run I did change out to Under Armour compression and shorts. For HIM or less I wear tri suite for entire race. Been pretty happy with this approach but might consider tri suite for entire race this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries on swimming in the 400 mile shorts. I race HIMs in them start to finish all the time. They actually seem to hold less water in then some tri shorts I have used in the past. For Ironman distance races, I normally will switch to the DeSoto Tri shorts for the run, as it takes only a couple of seconds to do so in the change tent. As with anything new, test them out in some race simulation workouts before your A race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM start to finish in 400mile bib, with salt water swim. No issues at all. VERY COMFORTABLE. Not noticeable on the run. Great on the bike, and the pad floats during the swim. The pad is so flexible it comforms to your body and gives no friction. Good compression for all day comfort and support.This is the best piece of gear, and a great company. The best customer service.

RON ARTHUR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto has another great short for triathlons. Pad is not quit as thick but awesome. I have both. I would not wear the 400mile shorts for a triathlon shorter than Ironman but would change shorts after the bike leg.

The short I am referring to is the Forza Riviera Tri Short.

Quote Reply

Prev Next