Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Derailleur Pulley Question...
Quote | Reply
I have the new Shimano 105 components on my bike. I just ordered a brand new chain made my Wippermann (Connex). I will be using Rock n Roll Gold lube in an attempt to keep a clean drivetrain vs Tri-flow which I've used forever. My question is...should I upgrade to Hawk Racing pulleys at the same time or are the stock 105 pulleys fine...not sure if the additional $60 investment is worth the time or trouble?
Thanks, Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [Larryl115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy a Dura-Ace rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the best pulleys are worth about one watt over the standard Shimanos.
OTOH $60 isn't much. might be worth it just for the fun of it.. I've been tempted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could buy the friction facts test but saving around a watt is in the ballpark. I believe the 105 derailleur has one pulley with a bearing and one with a bushing, A pulley with a bushing uses about a half watt more than one with a bearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is a DA derailleur better than a new 105. I'm certainly not arguing just very interested. If it's worth it I will. For that matter what about ultrgra? I see a ton of those at races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded for $30.00. Like others have said it is bearing vs bushing. Can I tell the difference so far? No. Have I spent $30.00 more frivolously? Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! What the heck I've spent that much on the new chain. I'm just interested why it was recommended to just buy a dura ace derailleur?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC the DA RD comes stock with bearings instead of bushings. From my experience I purchased an inexpensive pair of jockey wheels with bearings off Amazon for a 105 RD once and did not notice any difference over stock jockey wheels. Not a great investment.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that experience...I may just throw some in there anyway so that the chain and pulleys are new. UPS just delivered the Rock n Roll gold. Looks interesting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larryl115 wrote:
I have the new Shimano 105 components on my bike. I just ordered a brand new chain made my Wippermann (Connex). I will be using Rock n Roll Gold lube in an attempt to keep a clean drivetrain vs Tri-flow which I've used forever. My question is...should I upgrade to Hawk Racing pulleys at the same time or are the stock 105 pulleys fine...not sure if the additional $60 investment is worth the time or trouble?
Thanks, Larry

How did you decide on Rock n Roll Gold. If you are going to spend the eight bucks you might as well buy the Rock n Roll Extreme. It tested better than gold via likely the same source you heard about Gold from.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a super clean drivetrain, go for the paraffin-dip-waxxed chain - it's amazing! You can grab the chain with your hand full-out and have no chain tattoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Larryl115 wrote:
Thanks, Larry

How did you decide on Rock n Roll Gold. If you are going to spend the eight bucks you might as well buy the Rock n Roll Extreme. It tested better than gold via likely the same source you heard about Gold from.

Lilly Lube tested better than Rock n Roll Extreme and just as clean, if not cleaner if you don't want to go the wax route. Easier to apply too.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked it because it's the best of both worlds. I did a lot of research and came up with that decision...heck I'd had gone with the extreme if it would get to me keep up with Sebastian!😂😂
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur Pulley Question... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered that.....I believe it was by Molten. Too much labor...ðŸ·ðŸ»
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virgin candle wax, crockpot.
Lasts longer, no cleaning required after initial chain degrease and cheap as the big candles you buy for cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larryl115 wrote:
I considered that.....I believe it was by Molten. Too much labor...ðŸ·ðŸ»

It's faster than lubing, believe it or not. If you 'do it right', for a lubed chain, you should be cleaning your chain well with a chain tool or other method for lubing, and then lubing them link by link so you make sure the lube is where it's supposed to be.

WIth the wax, it's turn on crockpot with wax and your chain in it (no chain cleaning required!) , come back in 15-30 mins (depending on how much wax), pull it out, wipe the extra off quickly with a paper towel, and mount. It's great! The dirt/crud comes out in the wax bath and settles to the bottom.

(I'm not using the Molten wax company's protocol - I'm just using straight paraffin without any additives.)
Quote Reply