Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Depression - food intolerance
Quote | Reply
I suffer from occasional depression and extreme tiredness and sometimes inexplicable drops in performance.

I've recently discovered that nightshade vegetables, tomatoes, chillies, obergines, etc cause a skin flare up.

Two days ago I mistakenly ate a small amount of obergine in a sandwich prepared for me.

Within hours the rocasia flared up and the next day I had one of the worst bouts of severe depression and tiredness.

Coincidence - or could there be a link to food intolerance and depression?

A quick Google and there does seem to be research that backs up this possibility.

I know it's fashionable these days to blame food groups for all sorts of problems, but could it be that inexplicable poor performance, depression and tiredness might be caused by food intolerances?
Quote Reply
Re: Depression - food intolerance [Gen Secretary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had dealt with depression and severe bouts of fatigue over a number of years. Over time I learnt how do deal with it but last season I upped the ante with my training and it all fell apart. I was couch bound with no energy that only made my depression worse. I was always so tiredI went to several doctors who did endless tests and found nothing conclusive. I saw a nutritionist to see if that helped and she suggested send a stool sample off for parasite and gut flora analysis.

Turns out I had a parasite in my gut with symptoms of fatigue and depression and my gut flora bacteria was way out with hight streptococcus which you guessed it fatigue and depression. I tried the herbal cleanse for the parasite to no effect and then went on to antibiotics and immediately felt better but found out last week I still have the parasite. Maybe just weakened it's grip it had on me? Anyway back training, full of energy and life id beautiful. My doctor is sending me to a gastroenterologist to get rid of the parasite once and for all. I am also treating the high strep and low ecoli.

Parasites such as dientamoeba fragils like I have can also cause issues like irritable bowel and no idea but maybe linked to food issues? Do some googling. Hope it helps...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have zero personal experience of this, but I've heard a few second-hand accounts and also read a fair bit of research on adverse reactions to the food groups you mention and finding improvements by following a low-FODMAP diet. As the poster above briefly mentions, these are more commonly associated with GI issues, IBS and low-energy rather than depression but it might be worth a look?

e.g. http://www.mysportscience.com/...-prevent-GI-problems
Last edited by: awenborn: Nov 4, 17 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: Depression - food intolerance [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a goggle search of the GAPS diet - it's a challenging diet/lifestyle but it's very anti inflammatory. Be prepared - no sugar, no dairy, no grain.

A lot of families with autistic kids use it to regulate behaviour.

We use it in support of our son and the effects have been very positive- better mood, clarity, focus. Weight loss (it's keto like), better recovery, better sleep.

No question there is a huge link between our psychology and what we put in our bodies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffered from debilitating fatigue for years, as in sleeping 16-20 hours per day. I was also overweight and unhealthy. I went to many doctors, took every legal Upper and downer imaginable with no solution in sight... and then I changed my diet and started exercising. It's been a long road but I think food is an often overlooked cause of many of the health issues we are facing today. You mentioned it's become fashionable to blame various food groups today... I would posit the opposite, we have actually gone the other way and people are now ridiculing the idea. The best advice I can give is to try some sort of elimination diet for 30 days. Track how you look, feel, and perform and then SLOWLY add one thing back at a time. My wife has some thyroid issues and stumbled across something called AIP (autoimmune paleo). That's worth looking into as it removes the typical things like grains, dairy, etc but also nightshades and other things most people wouldn't think of as causing problems. We discovered that my wife has major issues with tomatoes and surprisingly neither of us can tolerate rice! It's worth a shot for 30 days and you might be amazed at the power of food to heal.
Quote Reply
Re: Depression - food intolerance [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I have zero personal experience of this, but I've heard a few second-hand accounts and also read a fair bit of research on adverse reactions to the food groups you mention and finding improvements by following a low-FODMAP diet. As the poster above briefly mentions, these are more commonly associated with GI issues, IBS and low-energy rather than depression but it might be worth a look?

e.g. http://www.mysportscience.com/...-prevent-GI-problems

I've had huge success with low-FODMAP. It's the only thing that's actually let me get and keep weight off, and increased performance. Calorie counting and restriction did nothing, for all the "thermodynamics LOL" talk around here.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Depression - food intolerance [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you respond well to low fodmap it's likely you have a microbiome problem. Might be worth getting that checked out like the above have.
Quote Reply