Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels...
Quote | Reply
Question... I recently bought a pair of used wheels and found this. The wheels were purchased new, and not blems or seconds.

Seems like this is pretty common on ENVE wheels...

Defect or no??

Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be a problem
The original owner could get a replacement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures often can't capture everything that's going on with the carbon, but it looks like a variation in the UD carbon weave and not something to worry about. Now having said that, if you feel uncomfortable, take it to ENVE retailer to be inspected.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like bollocks, is that a qualified reply?

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cant really crack carbon like that, so it is most likely just some extra strands that made it into the mold before the finish layer of UD.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope. it isn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question is... Since they are used, should I just return them??? Not sure I should deal with it. The original owner has no problem taking them back.

If I bought them new... I'm not sure that wouldn't return them.

Hmmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
You cant really crack carbon like that, so it is most likely just some extra strands that made it into the mold before the finish layer of UD.

I've cracked two carbon rims exactly like that after hitting potholes, so you can definitely crack carbon vertically through the brake track..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing you are dealing with is having an awesome set of wheels. Not sure that should qualify as returnable.

Remember the old Blackwell 100's? They had hundreds of strands like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The layup of the Enve rims would prevent that in most cases, and in the cases it did not prevent it, the damage would be much more spectacular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
The original owner has no problem taking them back.

You answered your question there... get the original owner to get them inspected and you get a brand new pair in replacement...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
The only thing you are dealing with is having an awesome set of wheels. Not sure that should qualify as returnable.

Remember the old Blackwell 100's? They had hundreds of strands like that.

No... I don't know anything about Blackwell 100's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Defect or no??

Does it radiate into the interior cavity? If you run your finger across the brake track where that line is, can you feel a seperation? How about stress the wheel by holding the rim in both hands and placing your knee on the opposing side of where the 'defect' is and apply a slight bit of pressure. If it is a crack, then the rim will flex and there will be noise, otherwise, mount wheel and go ride!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had a pair replaced and the new ones have similar shading like yours. FYI
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [j.chriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post a pic or two please??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go around the rim gently tapping with a nickel. See if the sound changes in the vicinity of the blemish.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I built a Enve rear 9 and it had actual indentation lines running vertically. Most notably under the decals as you could see it more there with the gloss. Supposedly using that much carbon means that they won't be "perfect". And remember that they don't paint their wheels, so you see stuff you probably wouldn't on other brands. I did have them replace it, took a while as I had my builder tell them that I wanted one of the better ones they could find. Had no worry about structural issues, just wanted to have a good looking wheel for the amount of money I was spending.

All that being said, if you have the opportunity to buy or not, or have Enve look at replacement then that's the way to go. Better safe than sorry. And Enve's service is top notch. No way have you stay on a bad wheel and risk injury just to save a few bucks.

And I love my Enve's.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
The original owner has no problem taking them back.

You answered your question there... get the original owner to get them inspected and you get a brand new pair in replacement...

X2..... Better be safe than sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are going into winter. Why worry about it. Just send them back and look for something else.

Unless you got such a smokin deal that you are willing to go for the cost of new front teeth if the wheel collapses.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seem to have found similar images of Enve 3.4 wheels see if someone can see if these look the same (maybe carbon layup?)

Look at the 2nd image on the article
http://roadcyclinguk.com/...#daOjUl1Khj6QP2ip.97

Look at the 4th image on the article
http://cyclingtips.com.au/...-3-4-tubular-review/

Look at the 4th image in the ending gallery
http://blog.artscyclery.com/...loyee-bike-check-11/

Look at the 2nd image in the article
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...rs_-_sneak_3824.html
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [coneill0422] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you fire off an email to enve? They might be the best people to say if it is normal or not. No need to tell them they are 2nd hand in case they subsequently need replacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Defect or normal?? ENVE wheels... [coneill0422] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure looks normal compared to these others.

I would contact their support and ask if it is there for a reason. Maybe they use it as a marker for something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked at my enves and both my 3.4s and 6.7s have similar patterning in the carbon.... I'm not worried about it... Have put approx 5000km on the 3.4s and a few hundred on the 6.7s with no issues.
Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent an email to Enve with the picture attached and here is their official response for reference:

Your request (8848) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Alison Reitter (ENVE Composites)
Nov 30, 10:22
Hi Cameron,
Thanks for the note and for that photo. Due to the handmade nature of our rims, subtle variances in each rim’s finish are inherent and add to the beauty of our wheels. The line you are seeing is one of these variances. ENVE rims have no cosmetic layers, paint or fillers to hide the raw nature of the fibers. Cosmetic finishing is limited to the bare essentials such as removing bladders. Keep on riding and enjoying those wheels!
Thanks,
Alison Reitter

Cameron
Nov 30, 06:46
I had a general question about my set of Enve 3.4 Clinchers, I noticed a line starting at the brake track and going down for a couple of cm, was wondering if this was a defect of any kind, normal, or a crack. I included a picture for reference and was hoping you could let me know, thank you.
Attachment(s)
Defect.jpg
Last edited by: coneill0422: Nov 30, 15 9:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next