Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deciphering TSS
Quote | Reply
I've got a quick question in regards to TSS for any given workout. This week I was targeting a certain number and I thought I was well on my way and then I saw something very strange. I did a 3k swim at a recovery pace and it scored 0.6 TSS. I then did a 2km run at recovery pace and I got a 13.1 TSS. I'm a it lost as to how a 7:09 run can have 11x the TSS as a 50 minute 3km swim.

Is this due to the lack of heart rate data in the pool? Are there other reasons? Even at recovery pace shouldn't I expect more TSS in that workout? Any help would be appreciated. I've included a screen shot of the workouts. Can anybody explain the way TSS is calculated?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Deciphering TSS [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what software are you uisng?

run and swim tss are calculated via whatever voodoo the given software developer chooses to use. It was intended to be paired with power data, not running and swim paces.

How much sense run and swim TSS makes may depend on what software you use and how you set it up. If sounds like your setup isn't making sense.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Deciphering TSS [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going directly off of TP, my guess is that you haven't set up swim threshold pace, but just have a default threshold pace set based on running, and it also used that to calculate TSS for swimming.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Deciphering TSS [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Garmin Swim watch and Garmin Forerunner watch. These each sync to Garmin Connect and then auto populate into Training Peaks where I am getting my TSS score. I have always noticed some sort of score on my runs and bike sessions but hadn't payed any attention to the swim ones. The past two week I set set a goal as I've been slacking off in the months following my final race of the year. I thought for sure that swim would get me 30-50 TSS "points" if you will towards my target score for the week but 0.6 is just wrong.

------
Quote Reply
Re: Deciphering TSS [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you were right about this. I've now setup the swim zones and I'll take a closer look after my next workout at the TSS. Can I retroactively calculate the TSS? Even if manually?

------
Quote Reply