Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dealing with your first race being cancelled.
Quote | Reply
I've been training for 6 months with the intent to do a 70.3 later this year. Race this weekend was just a sprint. It wasn't like some special accomplishment to complete it or anything. But it was the first time I actually got to do a full triathlon. I've done the bike rides, done the road races, etc.. I was looking forward to everything together. I had goals laid out from the beginning that were quite lofty for me and I really felt like I had a chance to meet them tomorrow. I've come a long way and was really excited to test myself. I'm setting out my transition stuff on a towel this afternoon, checking off to make sure I have everything and get the email that the race is officially cancelled due to weather. Such a let down.

I've got a few races I'm thinking of doing, but the next one I'm actually scheduled for isn't for a few months. I'm just so frustrated right now.

How do you guys deal with these type of things when it's your "A" race. I think I'm taking a day or two off and having a few drinks tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all part of our sport. Things happen and you need to be ready for plan B.

I never try to have an A race for the reasons you are feeling now. I just race a lot. Last season when I got hurt I had to miss my "big" races. Luckily I had raced enough
already in the season that my main goal of being an AA again was not impacted.

Taking the same approach this season. Trying to race as many races early that I need for my goals so if I cannot race for whatever reason, I am set.

I guess I am lucky that I can just about race every weekend within driving distance for most of the year.

I have 3 races coming up in a 2 week period. Will see how the body deals with this attempt.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sucks but it happens. After you have a few drinks tonight look for another race coming up soon. I'm not sure where you are but the season is kicking off around me soon. There will be at least one race a weekend within driving distance soon.
You said this would be your first race? You could always do a trial run by yourself. I've heard of people doing that. I wouldn't, I'd just look to replace it as soon as possible.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could refocus on a different upcoming race, test yourself in a race simulation, or just relax and refocus on races in the future.

Whatever you do, the key is not to lose confidence because of your missed opportunity. You said yourself that you are very happy with your abilities going into this race, so take solace in the fact that you are fit and use that knowledge to inspire pragmatic and consistent training. While the missed race may feel like lost validation, you still have your strength and speed so you haven't actually lost anything! There's a good chance that you'll actually carry greater energy into the end of your season due to this delayed start.

...and a few drinks is often a good idea for people like us :). Try not to be so hard on yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way you feel is totally understandable. The silver lining is that success in this sport isn't about whether something ever goes wrong, but rather how you react when it does. You got a fairly painless hiccup far earlier than most.

Sorry about your race; enjoy your drinks tonight, enjoy your fitness, and enjoy the process of figuring out how you'll deal with this :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I mentioned, it's not that this ruins my year or anything. It wasn't necessarily my A race (not that I even have one), but it was important since it was the first. I was just like a kid on Christmas morning getting ready. Just went take a ride on the race wheels I rented. I was ready to get one under my belt. Training can become taxing even though I enjoy it for the most part. Race made it worth looking forward to. I guess the focus is just going to move a few weeks down the road. I'm just not that patient, haha

I've had a few other races I've been eyeing, but nothing special. I had a few back home where my parents lived that I plan to use as an excuse to visit as well. But just haven't signed up yet.

I knew this was coming. Forecast has been abysmal. But the confirmation sucked.
Last edited by: KG6: Apr 29, 16 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. I would make a cocktail, get Chinese takeout, and go online to find another race in the near future.
You could also do what a group around here did when a gran fondo was canceled due to weather-- they just got together and rode the course unofficially. Do you know anyone who could do a mock race with you?
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather is actually supposed to be that bad. I think this weekends goal just changed to setting a new FTP for myself on Sunday. As sad as it may sound around here, shooting to break 200 watts (trainer road virtual power) this weekend. Going to do something worth while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seeing your post over in the IMTX thread, i'm guessing you are referring to CB&I. It is a great race, and i'm really disappointed its cancelled, too. I have family in The Woodlands and actually drive in from Austin to do it every year. A few suggestions -- CapTXTri is in Austin over Memorial Day weekend and a lot of fun, or if you want to stay in the Houston area, Cypress Tri in July is one of the best (and actually my first years ago).

Grab a nice cold beverage and enjoy the weekend and stay dry!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained for a year for my first IM and it was cancelled the morning of the the race. 5 minutes before the start actually (Tahoe 2014, forest fires). I was crushed. Shed a few tears then went to the local brew pub where there were lots of sad looking, really fit people drinking beer in the middle of the day. I took a few days off then signed up for 70.3 that was 2 weeks later (low stress, no expectation racing). In the end it was just a build that never came to fruition. It was another year before I did my first IM and I was certainly fitter and better able to handle it than I would have been at Tahoe. It became part of the process (easy to say in retrospect.....)

It really sucks but after a few races the sting will wear off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remind myself that I didn't get a cancer diagnosis and that this is just a hobby. Not being snarky. I lose perspective myself...but it the grand scheme of things this is all for fun. There will be more races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you might be talking about CB&I. If so and you're a chick, you can sign up for TriGirl next weekend. If that doesn't work there's Tejas in 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a woman. Double checking schedule and will probably do that and the Silver Lake "Oly" (although it appears to be a shorter version) on the 29th. I know there are others. I'm going to get over this quickly. Just don't even want to wait 3 weeks. I've got that kind of patience. Haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think we've all been in a place where life throws a monkey wrench into your plans. a couple of drinks and a day or two off sounds like just what you need.

it sounds like you were really getting yourself mentally prepared for your budding triathlon season, and while you weren't actively thinking it, i bet you were expecting this race to set the tone for the year. when i have a bad race (or in your case, no race) the best thing for my mood is to sign up for another race. so if i were you, i'd find the next closest sprint tri, and smash it.

Brooklyn Tri Dad
https://www.facebook.com/brooklyntridad/?ref=hl
http://brooklyntridad.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/BrooklynTriDad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're really itching to race there's the Springs Back Triathlon tomorrow. Online registration is closed but I think you can register at packet pickup. According to Facebook they are still a go for tomorrow.

http://itrievents.com/...ings-back-triathlon/
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [tonyalta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I was also part of the Tahoe cancellation and know how painful it was. To OP, the important thing to remember is that triathlon is a journey, and each and every time you swim, bike, or run is all just one more step along it. You will have awesome training days, horrible training days, set some race PB's, and eventually get a DNF. They all happen, all you can do is move on and keep trying again for the next time. It helps to focus on enjoying the process, rather than just focus on just crossing some finish line.

With the extreme disappointment of Tahoe, I was later extremely lucky to get one of the Kona lottery slots that followed from it's cancellation. Just saying, that the journey will find ways to balance itself out.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [harapnuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harapnuk wrote:
I agree. I was also part of the Tahoe cancellation and know how painful it was. To OP, the important thing to remember is that triathlon is a journey, and each and every time you swim, bike, or run is all just one more step along it. You will have awesome training days, horrible training days, set some race PB's, and eventually get a DNF. They all happen, all you can do is move on and keep trying again for the next time. It helps to focus on enjoying the process, rather than just focus on just crossing some finish line.

With the extreme disappointment of Tahoe, I was later extremely lucky to get one of the Kona lottery slots that followed from it's cancellation. Just saying, that the journey will find ways to balance itself out.

For me, the training is the journey. Yea, I was at Tahoe that day also, but for the 70.3 Missed it again last year so that was twice training for it and twice missing it.

Since I have had many races impacted, either from weather, my health, etc., I have learned to enjoy the journey. If I am lucky and able to race, that is just icing on the cake.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely in a better mood about it today. Like you've all said, it's become a lifestyle more than just doing a race. I'll probably go for a run today. I can no longer just skip days without doing simething (unless I really need it). I've become addicted to the training. Race was just finally a validation. There will be more. As others have pointed out, I could go tomorrow if I wanted to (have some plans though). I'll just wait a few weeks.

I couldn't imagine missing a full or even a half though. Again, I'd get over it, but that's a lot of work. I'd be in a mood for a few days, that's for sure. Haven't decided if I want to do Austin 70.3 or the Oil Man Texas later in the year. This was just a step on the way to get some practice. If I have that race (whichever I eventually choose) canceled, I'll probably resurrect this thread, haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My one and only full distance tri was IMFL 2014. I flew to Florida to intern with them/register in 2013. My father also drove 5 hours to volunteer/register. I spent metric shit tons of my disposable income over 1 year. Trained my ass off and was ready to be an Ironman. My swim got cancelled 15 minutes before hand.

I raged for a bit, calmed down on the bike, didn't give a shit by the run. The next day the water was glass, of course. I flew home and quit triathlon as I had planned and went back to being a runner as planned.

So yea, not cancelled in its entirety, but given the grand scale of it being an ironman, my world collapsed for like 30 minutes. But then I realized it's just a triathlon, i'm still an Ironman, and I don't care about trying to do another to prove shit to anyone.

You'll forget all about this and refocus on your next race. You will do many triathlons and cancellations will be rare but you will always just have to forget about it and dive back into training.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it worse to have your race cancelled/modified, or be injured?

At the end of the day, it's a reality check. It's how you move on from it that determines what's important. Find a local race, a 5K, an open water swim, or a food challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You simply learn that "that shit happens".
Then you go to home depot.
You buy some wood.
You build a bridge.
Then you get over it.

Does it suck, yes.
Happened to me mid race last year. Called the race on account of electrical storm about 4 miles into the bike.
I had a great swim and a great bike... So I shudder to think what might have been...(was on pace to beat my friend who's been beating me for years!).
Anyway, I was so pissed that I went home and that night signed up for a local tri... Ten days away...Which would end up being my first with an ocean swim!
Had a blast and forgot about the canceled race.
Suggest you look for something to fill the void and go out and have some fun!
Good luck!

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with your first race being cancelled. [Trecca17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already have two more lined up in a few weeks. Just a let down that day. As someone said, I was mentally prepared. If was any random race no big deal, but it's been 6 months and it's my first. Even worse, it turned out to be a beautiful day. If they just postponed 30 minutes to an hour, everything would have been fine. Got a run in yesterday and will keep working. Maybe the extra few weeks will make it even more likely that I reach my goals.

I realize "shit happens". Just this hobby has you put in a lot of work, and it's a let down not to compete. Not the end of the world and certainly won't make me fall off the wagon with training. But it still sucks. I have moved on with my eyes on the next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear your next one is already lined up.
And yep... Agreed that it's only worse when it ends up a beauty of a day soon after the cancellation.
It's what happened to me :( too.

For me...i guess I chalk it up to yet another phase of the "mental" part of it all. Looks like your well on your way to doing same. :)

---------------
It's not about what you've done, it's about what you're doing!
@trecca17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sport be it recreational triathlon, is just like the real world - things very often don't go to plan. You can't control everything - and you particularly have no control over the weather.

Time to move on and forget about it. Plan another race. Make the mental and physical adjustments that you have to and move on.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next