Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Days gone by Superbike TT build
Quote | Reply
Hey y'all. All this talk of long and low had me pulling up some articles from the past where riders took "fast" bikes from back in the day and rode them to great success... today. My favorite story is the british 10 rider that went 19.36 on a <1000L build.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...-championship-189583

There have been a few posts over on Tri-Rig lately of them doing similar things.

This has me in the mood to do a build like this. I'm a roadie now a days that owned an expensive TT bike at one point but couldn't justify keeping it around after I left the tri world behind... So sell me on this idea. I find an old Trek Equinox (or similar frame) and use parts I've got + things you can get cheap online to build a superbike of the years gone by.

What am I giving up speedwise over, say, a 10mile or so TT compared to a similar budgetted bike now-a-days? Where would your priorities lie? To the geezers of the forum, what other frames should I be looking out for on Ebay/ Craigslist? Anyone have anything cool they want to pass onto a Tri-curious roadie?

I would be thinking a 1x setup with an aero ring could be had for pretty cheap. Finding a Tririg Omega might be difficult, but could really help clean up the front end when good bar setups can run >500$ now-a-days.
9 Speed Disks are cheap, and so are old specialized trispokes.

Train hard to Race harder

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Days gone by Superbike TT build [ttoc6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at low yaw (which should be the case if you are riding TTs), you're not giving up much, if anything.

you'll be at/near 0 if you're riding 28, 30mph.

narrow tubes can be super fast.

i have a HED tri-spoke that you might want if you go through with this; it's fast with a narrow tire like the Conti SS 20c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could use an old Shimano Adamas centre pull instead of an Omega. The brake pads will need a bit of sculpting with a craft knife to fit the smaller shoes.

Edit: KoolStop make replacement pads:

http://www.koolstop.com/...sh/shimanoax600.html

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Last edited by: Barchettaman: Sep 23, 17 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel that the "budget" aspect of this is overplayed. All the bling on that bike was cutting edge only a few years ago and simply cheap by virtue of it being second hand...how different are a tri spoke and disc wheel from 4 or 5 years ago to today's offerings (when trying to move a bike for a 20min test). I completely agree that gear does not have to be the newest to perform, but when you say budget I am thinking less than $1000 new...that would be a much more impressive feat. I mean, look at the kit too, he's dressed up in $800+ of helmet, skin suit and shoes/covers too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A retro bar would certainly be an old Ventus, but those are hard to find for anything that resembles "budget". Next best retro choice would be the old FSA stuff with the super small brake levers.

I don't know why an old P2, P3C or Transition wouldn't be considered retro. They are about 10 years old and the Transition solves your brake problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm all about the cheap and "retro".

Did you see my Schwinn Varsity Superbike thread: link

This year I'll be rocking a P3c with Zefiro drop bars.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Days gone by Superbike TT build [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyb wrote:
Yes, I'm all about the cheap and "retro".

Did you see my Schwinn Varsity Superbike thread: link

This year I'll be rocking a P3c with Zefiro drop bars.

That is amazing. Really love the build process being detailed like that. 73 second for a round tube bike, and I imagine a bunch of that came from the shitty front end set up on the roundtube.

Even more makes me want to do one of these builds even if I don't delve into carbon fiber building.

If I can get my hands on an Etap tt groupset, while not budget, it would make these builds trivial. Plug and play and find a place to put the junction box where it's not in the way.

Quote Reply
Re: Days gone by Superbike TT build [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
You could use an old Shimano Adamas centre pull instead of an Omega. The brake pads will need a bit of sculpting with a craft knife to fit the smaller shoes.

I was at the bikeswap store in Seattle a fwe months back and they had a retro bike built up with Campy Delta's. Those things are amazing. Don't know how hard it would be to find Shimano Adamas.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttoc6 wrote:
Barchettaman wrote:

I was at the bikeswap store in Seattle a fwe months back and they had a retro bike built up with Campy Delta's. Those things are amazing. Don't know how hard it would be to find Shimano Adamas.

There's a pair on ebay, Dura Ace AX $95

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Dr. Coggan, the Dura Ace AX brakes tested faster than everything, IIRC.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Days gone by Superbike TT build [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They tested faster than the tririgs. But slower than hookers. But we're talking 1-2 seconds over 40k. Probably lower hanging fruit out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a gt vengeance on eBay right now for $250 ---- This bike is probably plenty fast. Or get a Zipp beam bike

link

Last edited by: jeremyb: Sep 24, 17 7:26
Quote Reply