Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Daniela Ryf's cleat position
Quote | Reply
WTF?
Isn't she killing her RUN with the position?
If not, why aren't I utilizing this position??

Can someone breakdown her position?
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
WTF?

It's easier on your calves.so may help the run a bit. I really enjoy a near mid foot position.....then again with size 50 feet there still is a pretty good lever out there.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
WTF?

I've been wondering why this cleat position hasn't caught on for a while now. Joe Friel did some analysis on this a long time ago and found it to be superior for triathletes. The biggest hurdle for the masses is convincing shoe manufacturers to provide mounting holes. Our only option currently is expensive, custom drilled shoes. I feel like a company such an Specialized should have figured this out forever ago. The only argument against midfoot cleat positioning is toe overlap with the front wheel, but given that Specialized already makes triathlon-only bikes, I feel like it should be trivial for them to solve this.

Reference: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/...ing-performance.html
Last edited by: krez: Oct 9, 15 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike geometry would need to change pretty dramatically as everything "moves down" with mid-foot placement. It also causes significant toe overlap with the front wheel.

It's sort of a catch-22...it needs to be embraced by the masses for the manufacturers to re-act, but it can't be embraced if you don't have bikes that allow for proper positioning with the new cleat position.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A picture of said position would really help this thread.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
A picture of said position would really help this thread.

Indeed.

Also who cares about toe overlap? Stop doing figure 8's in the parking lot and it won't be an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It works for some of us that are on large bikes with short cranks and normal size feet. No toe overlap for me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put my cleats as far back as they can go. Wish they could go further!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed:

Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cleats - smeats. Where can I get some of those shoes? Oofos or crocs?
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Bike geometry would need to change pretty dramatically as everything "moves down" with mid-foot placement. It also causes significant toe overlap with the front wheel.

It's sort of a catch-22...it needs to be embraced by the masses for the manufacturers to re-act, but it can't be embraced if you don't have bikes that allow for proper positioning with the new cleat position.

Jim, I assume that aside from toe overlap issues, you would need a lower stack bike and shorter reach. But the shorter reach makes the toe overlap issue worse.....but when exactly do you actually have to worry about toe overlap. I am pretty small and it's only been an issue around 3 times in my life over 35 years or so of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Au contraire, you'd need longer reach, and a more forward saddle. Imagine shifting the whole rider 3-4cm forwards and slightly down...

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Au contraire, you'd need longer reach, and a more forward saddle. Imagine shifting the whole rider 3-4cm forwards and slightly down...

You got it right. Why was I so confused? So basically most of the bikes being made today would not work well. That's right, when I move my cleats back I move my saddle a bit forward and down!
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if selling shoes that take midfoot cleats would be a liability issue for the manufacturers?
People don't like to be responsible for their own actions these days. All it takes is one fool crashing and blaming the rearfoot cleat position for the crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Though toe overlap isn't the big issue some people make of it in real-world riding situations (neglecting things like MTB, cyclocross, track sprinting, and stop/start riding). If it IS an issue to you, then go with a custom builder. There are solutions, like going to 650c wheels, and/or going as long as allowed on front-center (and maybe there should be some lobbying on the part of riders for USAT/ITU to amend the rules for things like cleat position).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very interested in achieving this cleat position on my next bike (looking to buy a tri bike next year). I am a taller ride (6'2") Are there any bikes that have a geometry that would minimize toe overlap with this type of cleat position?
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short cranks help with this issue as well :)
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and 650 wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but, IMO, that's a tradeoff. Fewer tire choices and potentially less aero wheels since it's a niche market.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
I am very interested in achieving this cleat position on my next bike (looking to buy a tri bike next year). I am a taller ride (6'2") Are there any bikes that have a geometry that would minimize toe overlap with this type of cleat position?

Old P4 in 58cm if you can find it. Otherwise, ceteris paribus, look for something as long and low as you can find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said it really does seem to 'rest' the calves.
I have noticed a significant improvement in runs off the bike since I moved back.
I haven't gone completely midfoot, but have re-drilled and gone a fair way back.

Interestingly some of the fastest biker-runners have started to do this too.

Frodeno has moved a fair way back, not quite midfoot but a lot further back than most. Lionel Sanders too.

IME it doesn't need to be fully midfoot, just somewhere in between midfoot and the furthest back you can normally go.

If you are interested in trying the easiest way is with Bont shoes, you just re-drill some holes in the sole and move the 'T-nuts' across.
Can be done in a few minutes and it's easy to move back.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
I've been wondering why this cleat position hasn't caught on for a while now.

Probably because there's really nothing to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Daniela Ryf's cleat position [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because you need custom shoes or get the drill out

Cost/hassle so most CBA

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next