Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST
Quote | Reply
....thought it started around December of 2002? What the date you went live? I lurked Jan and Feb of 2003 before joining in March with an account, so not sure when the forum went live. I do recall your predecessor, triathlonlive.com (or something like that) being the place to go to for tri racing news in the lead up to the Sydney games and a few years later you launched ST around the endurance lifestyle more than about the specifics of racing and race politics.....when was the date for ST forum going live?
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
....thought it started around December of 2002? What the date you went live? I lurked Jan and Feb of 2003 before joining in March with an account, so not sure when the forum went live. I do recall your predecessor, triathlonlive.com (or something like that) being the place to go to for tri racing news in the lead up to the Sydney games and a few years later you launched ST around the endurance lifestyle more than about the specifics of racing and race politics.....when was the date for ST forum going live?

I’m a more recent visitor, but the double arrow back button brings you to post 1 on Dec 18, 2002.

Welcome
Slowman
Dec 18, 02 17:17
Post #1 of 1 (8816 views)
Hopefully this will go without a hitch. Please post here with suggestions for changes and to alert us of problems.

one thing, tho. my back-end guy leaves for the holidays, and whatever problems there might be will be here until after xmas. so we'll all have to live with it.

the "slowtwitch" icon takes you to slowtwitch's home page. the "edit profile" button in the menubar above will allow sigs, email alerts, stuff like that.

this forum is "read only" if you haven't logged in, and requires a login to post.

there are also two other forums attached to this one, a "classifieds" forum and an "archives." the latter is for memorable threads i think we ought to keep.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The awesome thing about that first post is that you can see that Dan developed his allergy to the shift key when the forum was a whopping two sentences old :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK so ST 15th birthday party next Monday!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bring some Beers and Guacamole!

#HappyAnniversary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recollection was that there was another forum before the current one and when it transitioned everyone had to create a new log in. Is that not the case.

Joined the current one Jan 03...........
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your recollection is correct, I was on the old one and joined the new one on Jan 19, 2002.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

there are 3 anniversaries:

- june of 1999 was the launch of slowtwitch.com
- sometime later but i don't remember when was the launch of the reader forum
- then there was the migration to this architecture

when we did migrate, we kept the old posts, i think. we certainly kept the old users. but honestly i have come in the last year or so to admit i have a pretty leaky memory, and i can't help you much past that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bring flat coke if I can figure out how to make it

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
The awesome thing about that first post is that you can see that Dan developed his allergy to the shift key when the forum was a whopping two sentences old :)

No, his "allergy" goes back to the days of the old RST newsgroup :-).
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

when we did migrate, we kept the old posts, i think. we certainly kept the old users. but honestly i have come in the last year or so to admit i have a pretty leaky memory, and i can't help you much past that.

I don't think the old posts were retained. My first post on this forum is dated dec 19, 2002 and is a response to Orang-Utan. I certainly posted prior to that, but what I posted I certainly don't remember.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I don't think the old posts were retained. My first post on this forum is dated dec 19, 2002 and is a response to Orang-Utan. I certainly posted prior to that, but what I posted I certainly don't remember.

ah, well, okay. i just don't remember it accurately enough to state with confidence.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get confused between the end of RST and ST forum. I think we should give a special recognition the the 1st 10 registrants/participants who are still will us today.

Fun looking back - some things never change . . . we were fighting about tubular v clincher 15 years ago! And, I am still debating on what to do.

I appreciate this forum and the folks here. We've had a number of characters come and go (and some stayed!) but by and large a very good and helpful group.

Let's have a charter participant party!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I get confused between the end of RST and ST forum. I think we should give a special recognition the the 1st 10 registrants/participants who are still will us today.

Fun looking back - some things never change . . . we were fighting about tubular v clincher 15 years ago! And, I am still debating on what to do.

I appreciate this forum and the folks here. We've had a number of characters come and go (and some stayed!) but by and large a very good and helpful group.

i do remember that after the move from usenet to forum architectures such as this, there were two others much larger: trinewbies.com and one other that i can't remember. so, charter slowtwitch forum members not only were persuaded to move from usenet, but to patronize this new (at the time) forum. i'm very thankful to them and a lot of them are still here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I don't think the old posts were retained.

Paulo knows how to find them

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.recsporttriathon (RST) - I still have the jersey!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
david wrote:

i do remember that after the move from usenet to forum architectures such as this, there were two others much larger: trinewbies.com and one other that i can't remember. so, charter slowtwitch forum members not only were persuaded to move from usenet, but to patronize this new (at the time) forum. i'm very thankful to them and a lot of them are still here.

I did not even realize there was a forum for a few months. I just went to read the front page articles on lifestyle from Slowman, Skid, Jimmy Riccitello and a few others and thought, "this website is different" they are focusing on what makes people "tick" as athletes not so much the racing but what gets us out to train every day. It was really the first website whose main focus was "why we do this crazy shit". This was not something that people at the water cooler at work could relate to so the front page, you had these pros not talking about racing, but crazy workouts, group training, fun adventures during training etc etc. It immediately clicked with me and then a few month later I found out there was this tab to click where actual age groupers could do "water cooler" discussions with each other. Up until then I was mainly having banter on the old IMUSA and IMCanada athlete "comments" pages which was very Ironman focused around those races but in many ways the discussion there was around training lifestyle but focused around those races.

In any case 15 years is a damn long time for any entity on the internet to survive and to do so on a really small user base of worldwide triathletes is a major achievement. It is not like ST reaches out to 7B humans like facebook can. What is the population of global triathletes to draw from? 500K maybe?

Dan also did a great job pulling in professional athletes and industry guys into this forum which gave us all access to the inside of the sport that sitting way up north after a snow storm you would never have access to. Sure if you were in San Diego you could but he gave us the same access to all kinds of stuff that otherwise without this platform, is hard to do from remote locations.

Thanks slowman and team.
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
there are also two other forums attached to this one, a "classifieds" forum and an "archives." the latter is for memorable threads i think we ought to keep.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Oooooooh!

Whatever happened to THAT idea?

People wouldn't have to search all over for FinMan, T3, Trucker Hats & Gorillas

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me a couple -years- to realize there was a forum; I think I started reading the articles in '05 or so.

I will never forgive my next door neighbor for putting me onto the forum and subsequently ruining my life. [/kinda pink]

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
according to my profile, joined December 18th 2002 at 21:11, first post was December 20th 2002. I remember the old Rec.Sport.tri board and was posting on there before ST.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a few of us left from the original forum!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
according to my profile, joined December 18th 2002 at 21:11, first post was December 20th 2002. I remember the old Rec.Sport.tri board and was posting on there before ST.

You beat me by a few days: Joined Dec 20, 02 10:31

I recall the RST board as well. Still have a Team RST-IMC jersey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
registered Dec 19, 02, fairly sure I was on the pre-2002 rebuild forum as well but don't have any record of it..

In 2003, we were talking about how to train when old.. this was the first article I saved from ST, begins,

"Rolling back the years
by Dan Empfield, August/September '03
(http://www.slowtwitch.com)

Last month I wrote an article to what I thought would be a small and mildly receptive audience, but aging and performance generated more response than anything I've written in a year or more."

we're hopeless..
Quote Reply
Re: Dan , when is the 15th anniversary of ST [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It turns out that ST is 14 months older than facebook...whatever happened to our early shares in ST that we got with my zero $$$ subscription for being early adopters "test ground idiots" within 6 months of launch. I am still waiting for the IPO
Quote Reply