Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Daily step count goals
Quote | Reply
I am sometimes (maybe often) obsessed with the step goals of the Garmin. Currently I have matched it 47 days in a row and am about to eclipse the 48th day and it's 22,460 goal.

What is the longest amount of days you have endured getting it done and what is the highest step goal you had to reach?
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what's the point?

I did look at the step data occasionally when I got my watch first and got a slight satisfaction from reaching the "goal" but in reality, I think it's nonsense. It's "goals" are based on the assumption that gradual increases are always a good thing. It's starting point is completely arbitrary. I think it might be useful for people that really aren't very active and whose only significant source of exercise is whatever walking they do throughout the day. But I don't think it's useful for anyone posting on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find them really annoying becuase they don't take into account biking and swimming, I think the fitbit does so if you ike it will convert the effort into steps.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Fitbit definitely does. I went to an indoor BMX/Street park with my son earlier this week. He has a Fitbit Charge HR and I have a Samsung watch that came with my phone. At the end of the day, 5 hours later he had about 12,000 steps and I had about 300.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Fitbit seems to track steps when I'm cycling at roughly the rate of my cadence. I.e. I get about 5,000 per hour as opposed to 10,000 per hour for running. Seems reasonable. It tracks virtually nothing on the turbo though, and I don't wear it swimming as it's not waterproof enough (I have a Surge).

I think some of the newer devices now just track "activity" rather than calling it steps. That seems a more sensible approach to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Fitbit Surge recorded nearly 10,000 steps last Friday while I was cutting my grass ...on a riding mower! :)

Re: Daily step count goals [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, it is really meant to get people of the couch. But it is still a source of entertainment for me, as are all other records bevit swimming, running or cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I aim low and never disappoint.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I aim low and never disappoint.

my man!!

(+1)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with this guy.

I've found my Garmin watch registers steps with movement of the watch itself despite not actually walking. A few times when I'm using the saw on my branch trimmer somehow my move counter will clear from the back/forth motion. It's somehow also magically cleared while driving from moving my arm around. It also tells me to move despite being 30 minutes into a ride (trainer usually).

Novelty has worn off from the initial neat factor and I ignore the move notification most of the time now.
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 19, 17 7:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I really find humorous is when I get the stupid "Move!" notification and associated buzz and beep. One Saturday, it happened after a 40+4 mile brick, while I was driving to the pool for an hour of swimming. All because I sat down to have lunch before driving to the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [tricyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just mowed my lawn this morning. 9500 steps while sitting on the seat! Awesome...lol.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it super useful on my garmin watch as a cubicle worker. It buzzes at me to remind me to move around periodically and counts my steps as I walk to lunch or the lab or my dog or whatever and between buildings. It helps to motivate for a general activity score outside of s/b/r that otherwise tbh I just basically am a slug in my desk chair

Probably has some benefits with respect to mobility/flexibility/circulation as a result as it gets me to move just a bit more throughout the day. I might get in 6-8 hrs of cardio training and another hour of weights per week but overall being a desk slug all day is a huge health problem also. Just my personal opinion

Example/: even walking my dog in a given day I can be sub 3k steps all day if I'm not running that day

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I wear mine (vivoactive HR) while I am biking on the trainer (have a bike computer so do not set the watch to anything), it somehow adds a ton of steps. For a 1hr trainer ride before work I will get over 2k steps, even though I obviously was not walking, and my wrist was barely moving.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily step count goals [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode 2 hours 15 minutes yesterday and that was worth about 15000 steps :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply