Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DQ Tri series
Quote | Reply
Has anyone races at these events? Good - bad or ugly?
Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [Ozlas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been racing them for years. Good.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Hammonton and Medford Lakes. The Hammonton swim is a toilet and very shallow in many spots. Both courses are flat. Medford is a much better swim and overall better race.

They are run decent enough, but nothing spectacular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did the Pine Barrens and the Survival last fall. both were great.

the Pine Barrens is a really nice, really fast, classic Olympic distance. small caveat re: the run; its on trails, but i hate running on paths and parking lots so that's a positive for me.
the Survival is a messed up piece of idiocy. run, bike, run to a lake, swim, run back to your bike, bike, run, quit.

i'd be happy doing either again too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well run and relatively inexpensive.

Pro - many races in region, you know what you're getting, good competition, most open morning of race

Con - South Jersey lakes (not their fault), little to no rules enforcement (drafting and headphones). Course cutting potential (but I haven't seen it).

For the most part, D&Q races are awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're one of the things I miss most about living in Jersey.
I'll probably come back up for Survival of the Mills again, which is actually put on by Ross who has his own company; and Dq just times and assists elsewhere.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done the shoreman and the jersey genesis in port republic multiple times. DQ does a outstanding job down there, jersey genesis even has a bambino triathlon for the kids, really fun to watch after your day is done. Always a good spread too, pizza, pretzels, plenty to go around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I did hammonton, jersey Genesis, vincentown and Belmar. All run very well, nice local feel, lots of fast guys show up. After food and party always great. I then did princeton 70.3 at the end of season and thought how it couldn't compare to the quality at the DQ events. Who would have thought.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice guy, did a bunch of their races last year. Didn't care for Belmar. 3 loops 3.3 miles loops for the bike just plain was no fun. At least they held a swim on a rough day. Ridiculously short, but credit for at least having one. I'm getting disillusioned by NJ races reactions to waves. We live on the shore. It's the ocean. Waves are just a part of it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
willmillertriathlon.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ozlas wrote:

DQ Tri series.

Can't argue with the name.

What's the DQ Stand for?

~Dustin Quigley
Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe formally it's "Designed Quality," although there's an indistinguishable link with Danzeisen & Quigley, the swim/ski/tri shop in Cherry Hill.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
Ozlas wrote:

DQ Tri series.

What's the DQ Stand for?

~Dustin Quigley

I was hopping that Dairy Queen was sponsoring Tri's now. Every finisher gets a Blizzard of his/her choice. Would be way better than a medal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a number of their races. Here's my take:

Race Organization - well run, no complaints.

Racks - first come, first serve the morning of the race.

Packet Pickup - done the morning of the race.

Competition level - usually pretty competitive for small local races.

Summary - for the money, DQ races are a great value.

Side Notes:

• It's one of the few organizers that also offer a duathlon option on race day
  • Courses are not closed to traffic and it's possible to get stuck behind slower bikers on the shoulder of the road if you're in a later wave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll add on to my other post though. There isn't a lot of high value stuff to the races, but they're perfect for the purpose they serve as local fun races. Don't expect tons of swag or a big production and you'll be more than happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the races are the same: short lake swim, 12-15mi bike, 5k run. Usually very flat. In many years of doing these races, I've never seen a USAT official, much less any draft marshals that I recall. I have more drinking glasses than I can use; a couple of D&Q gift certificates, one or more of which I haven't used.

Transitions are always first-come, first-served, and always set up unfairly (I typically put my bike very near the exit, which is also the bike dismount, so very little running with the bike for me).

The Stafford race was over a huge closed bridge the first year, which was pretty neat. No more, it seems. Presidential was many back-and-forth bike loops; at least the course was closed (IIRC, a couple of years ago); run was insanely hot and on some paths and roads.

All in all, it's like a fast food chain: you know what you are going to get at each race, but don't expect gourmet.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [IronSnowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronSnowman wrote:
I was hopping that Dairy Queen was sponsoring Tri's now. Every finisher gets a Blizzard of his/her choice. Would be way better than a medal.

So I wasn't the only one thinking that? Good to know :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a side note, does anyone know of any tris done through the Waterford Twp side of Atco?

D'Wife & were riding Sunday and I spotted "Tri" spray painted on the street with an arrow [one on Richards Ave near the old Wawa that's now Old Nelson, and another by the Senior Center at Bartram & Atlantic Ave]

Curious

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done them the past few years and LOVE them. One of the best things about living in New Jersey!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronSnowman wrote:
dfquigley wrote:
Ozlas wrote:

DQ Tri series.

What's the DQ Stand for?

~Dustin Quigley

That would be excellent!!

I used to joke about getting onboard with DQ for post race recovery blizzards since I was having them so often, and the initials match :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except there are more Rita's than DQs around here, I think

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronSnowman wrote:

I opened this thread hoping it was a Dairy Queen title sponsored tri series. I would have flown across the ocean to go to that.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
IronSnowman wrote:

I opened this thread hoping it was a Dairy Queen title sponsored tri series. I would have flown across the ocean to go to that.

With all the support from this thread alone, I think someone needs to contact Dairy Queen about this.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammonton? I'm not sure (obviously) but I remember looking up on the bike once in a DQ race and thinking "hey- there's the drag strip". How far is Atco from Hammonton? I can't find Atco on the map!

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: DQ Tri series [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
Hammonton? I'm not sure (obviously) but I remember looking up on the bike once in a DQ race and thinking "hey- there's the drag strip". How far is Atco from Hammonton? I can't find Atco on the map!

Atco hasn't been on a map since 1953.

Just go to Berlin. Then go deeper into the Pineys. You'll get there. Enjoy the Sally Starr diner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good. I've only done two but we'll run and low cost.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next