Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you use thes r600 buttons instead? If not can you use the PCB from these, seems a bit more cost effective

http://www.amazon.com/...82&pf_rd_i=typ01
Last edited by: Mdfletcher: Oct 31, 13 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [TonyStark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyStark wrote:
Impressive. I gassed up my lawnmower today but it wouldn't start. I'll try again tomorrow.
Good work. It doesn't happen often at a forum post, but I LOL'd.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [TriPigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you go with a set of ST-9071 levers instead of two sets of R671 and hack one of them? Seems the result would be identical but $200 less.

TriPigeon wrote:
Regarding all the people asking about the compatibility of the R671s: the actual Di2 pod is shared between brifters and the bar end shifters, its just the hardware around the pod that differs. Componentry and programability is identical.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 9071 bar end shifters are ~269.00 for the pair while the brifters run about 370.00 for the pair. I went with the bar ends for this reason vs. the brifters that the original poster used.

Whichever you can get cheapest is the way to go, since the control pod is identical, was the point I was trying to make.

Swear to god though, the hardest part of the hack was getting the control pod and my magura cables to play nice and fit well in the bars though.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The R600 climber shifters should work. The only issue is that the etube wiring is significantly shorter than the R671 shifters. The R600 climbing shifter etube wire is really only long enough to reach from the stem to the road STI lever port. This could cause an issue depending on basebar routing and where your junction box will be located.

I don't have the exact measurement but I was surprised at how much shorter it was when I held it up next the R671. I think the R671 etube wire is somewhere between 500 and 600mm.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [veryoriginal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BOOM!!!! U R awesome! Just finished up my hack job and other than figuring out how to solder (learned on the YOUTUBE LOL)....it was crazy easy to complete!

I live in Houston and the closest place who would do it was in Austin. Ready to BARF?!?!? They wanted $500 a side.....$1,000 for FD & RD!!

I spent $40 on the tools needed to do it and bam! Instead of using a vice...I used a big monkey wrench and it worked just fine.

Thanks again for your detail!

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [brianreina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any tips you can give for soldering? I'm about to perform the hack but worried about the soldering.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your soldering skills aren't great (but assuming you have steady hands) use electrical tape to isolate off as much as you can to reduce the risk of any accidental connections. Other than that, practice a bit on some cheap metal you have lying around, and remember that it's not going to take as much solder as you think it will!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [TriPigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats the best tip to use? A pencil style or angle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! I grabbed a razor blade and kept trying until I got pretty consistent at laying down a small dot of solder.

Pre apply the solder to all 4 contacts then make sure you tin the wire. If you don't tin the wire it wont fuse....

Once you have the wire tinned place the wire on top of the dot of solder you laid on the contacts...then place your iron tip on top of both the wire and solder dot on the contact and it will quickly solder together.

definitely practice a few times first!

Good luck....Its an awesome modification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. Glade I purchased smaller diameter solder then the standard size. Made my connections and after testing they work. Hopefully I made the connections well enough so they continue to work and not touch or come apart. The wires are so fine and the space where they get soldered is so small I was sure the wires would be touching each other.

Once more quick question. My brakes have already been installed by my LBS and I have never worked with the Maguras. Am I going to have to cut the line and reinstall them just to remove the lever enough to snake new e-tube through? Hoping I could do the entire install myself but now thinking I might have to have my LBS do it so I don't mess the brake system up.

Thanks, again for everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question about the brakes!! First make sure you fill the wire harness connection with silicone. Then either tape it or shrink wrap it for protection.

As far as the brakes go...I learned the hard way....you need to remove the bolt holding the caliper to the frame....you will
Gain a couple of inches which will be enough to pull the levers out and create enough room to run the ewire trough. Take the small plastic housing off the button and they will slide through the cutout in the base bar easily. I lined them up and then used a screw driver to push them through.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I think I damaged one of the buttons during the install. Both buttons worked during my test and right before I started to snake the e-tube through. I thought the switch part would have gone farther in the bar but with the brake cable already installed there is not much room.

So when I put the button through then re-installed the brake lever I think I might have pinched one of the button wires. It was only working some of the time. I removed the brake lever but then the button didn't work at all. One works fine but one doesn't. So I'm wondering instead of redoing the whole thing I'm hoping maybe I can buy another set of buttons and cut the bad one off and connect a good button to it.

Other side worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's unfortunate!! If your anything like me its all about immediate gratification!...Those wires are pretty thin so I can see how that might have happened. I'd say snipping a SOLDERING the wires together would work just fine. My guess is that at some point the switches will die and we will all have to do what you're about to do.

Good luck!!

Hey...how do you post pics to this site?? I found some crazy convoluted way on this site but that cant be the only way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figure I'll try the cheap fix first. Ordered some Friday so I'll let you know how it goes later this week. I am worried about how thin the wire are. Oh well guess we'll see what happens.

For great instructions on how to post pictures go to the classified section. There you will find a thread among the first couple that is titled "How to post pictures" or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [dinosarti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey can you advise what kind of soldering iron you used and what kind of solder? I want to practice before attempting this hack! Thanks :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey what kind of soldering iron did you use? Any particular tips on this part of the hack?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [Teamzero86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A fine tip or micro soldering iron. Got mine at Home Depot. $20
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am keen to give this a go but am in the UK and can't find anywhere that stocks the Cat Eye buttons. The UK distributor also has no stock. Has anybody had any success with other buttons or if not, know anywhere that has some in stock (in the UK).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [d0z3y] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I´d like to use my Dura Ace 9070 together with the Magura RT 8 TT Brakes on my Shiv TriBike.
Unfortunately I can´t get any Cateye Remote buttons. Performance Bikes (https://www.performancebike.com/...LocatorInventoryView) seems unable to deliver to Germany.

Are there any alternatives to the Cateye-Buttons?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [Schulbub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schulbub wrote:
I´d like to use my Dura Ace 9070 together with the Magura RT 8 TT Brakes on my Shiv TriBike.
Unfortunately I can´t get any Cateye Remote buttons. Performance Bikes (https://www.performancebike.com/...LocatorInventoryView) seems unable to deliver to Germany.

Are there any alternatives to the Cateye-Buttons?
Hi Landsmann,
International Orders

Shipping & Handling for all International Orders (except Canada) varies. Please contact Customer Service by phone at 1-800-727-2453 or e-mail at CustomerService@performancebike.com for more information or questions.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am assuming since they changed di to etube, now we cant just slice the cable and connect to the box?

we have to solder it to the original electronig?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still send up soldering the wire into the system but instead of it being spliced directly in, you attach it right to the circuit board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes; wouldnt it be cheapr to slice into Di2 cable directly?
Quote Reply
Re: DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't on the new system b/c all of the signal traffic that goes on the stock wires is digital signal. Which starts at the buttons on the shifters them selves. Take a look at the original hack vs the 7970 hack
Quote Reply

Prev Next