Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DI2 Setup Question (FD grinds chain)
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have a question about about Shimano DI2 Front Derailleur setup. I have some issues with cog -13

1) If I start in a slower gear and up-shift into this cog-13. The front derailleur doesn't engage trim. As a result, my chain is rubbing against my front derailleur. I have vision chainrings, and the front chainring is ever so slightly warped (barely a business card width of misalignment), resulting in a rhythmic grinding sound

2) If I shift further down into cog -12. Front trim engages and the noise goes away. I can then shift back down to cog-13 and keep pedaling without noise. FD won't down-trim until I shift back to cog-14.

3) As a result, if i want to shift from cog-14 to cog-13. I always have to overshift to cog-12, then downshift to cog-13.

I have taken the bike to my bike shop and they say the lower limit screw and upper limit screw are set correctly. The grinding noise is because my chainring is a bit warped. I will make the chain jump if i make any adjustments.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is this normal? Thanks in advance for looking at my issue. I am hoping there might be some off-the-path solution from the slowtwitch community.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Apr 17, 17 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Setup Question (FD grinds chain) [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy a Shimano crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your FD limits are not right. I have 3 di2 bikes I maintain and have always been able to adjust out any issues like your describing. I've found the front derailleur attachment bolt is sometimes a problem. Check to make sure it's tight and square to the chainring. If its ok put on bike stand or trainer and simulate your trouble spot where it rubs. if your hitting the fd on the right (as viewed from seated position) give high limit a 1/4 turn CW( the high limit is the one marked H), if your hitting on the left give the high limit 1/4 turn CCW. Do nothing to low limit for now. If that don't fix it then your rings may be a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Setup Question (FD grinds chain) [Midlifetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will give it a shot. Much cheaper than replacing the crankset. I am glad these use 2mm hex keys rather than JIS screws.

Edit: That works. No noise now.

Midlifetriguy wrote:
I think your FD limits are not right. I have 3 di2 bikes I maintain and have always been able to adjust out any issues like your describing. I've found the front derailleur attachment bolt is sometimes a problem. Check to make sure it's tight and square to the chainring. If its ok put on bike stand or trainer and simulate your trouble spot where it rubs. if your hitting the fd on the right (as viewed from seated position) give high limit a 1/4 turn CW( the high limit is the one marked H), if your hitting on the left give the high limit 1/4 turn CCW. Do nothing to low limit for now. If that don't fix it then your rings may be a problem.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Apr 18, 17 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best initial set for di2 that I've found so far! This should help tune it up!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Setup Question (FD grinds chain) [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Great video.
Quote Reply