Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DI2 7971 compatability
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone here has any info about this groupset. Have the possibility of picking up a second hand DI2 groupset, comes with an external battery, just wondering if anyone knows if this groupset is compatibile with an internal battery. Have a 10 speed FLO disc that won't go to 11 speed, so that's why I'm looking at this 10 speed groupset. Tahnks for your help, Joe
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 7971 compatability [Joeb100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know of any 7971 DA groupset. The first gen Di2 was DA 7970. Maybe the 1 is being used as a special designation of some sort. Regardless, the first gen Di2 only supported external batteries. There were/are multiple hacks available that retrofit aftermarket internal batteries. I run this set up on my Speed Concept with DA 7970, but it takes a special charger and access to the harness. On the plus side, this setup only needs about 1 charge per year.

Support for the 7970 system is fading, harnesses are difficult to find and the same goes for derailleurs, etc. I'd recommend moving on to second gen Di2 with e-tube wiring and the option for Shimano's internal battery.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 7971 compatability [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, I'll stay away from it so. I have a Flo disc that isn't 11 speed compatible so any new groupset will have to be 10 speed, that's why I was curious when this came up. The fact it's not called 7971 is probably why I couldn't find any info on it online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of threads about options for getting an 11 speed cassette on 10 speed only discs. A lot of responses about there being no need to upgrade to 11 speed. I agree for the most part, but Shimano has done a good job of basically forcing the upgrade for Di2 users by eliminating 10 speed derailleurs which is a consequence of making the derailleur throws a function of derailleur models and not allowing it to be set through firmware/software:(

You can probably find Ultegra Di2 10 speed kits around for a very good price. They will be more available going forward than the 7970 10 speed parts, use e-tube wiring and will allow you to transition to 11 speed eventually (though you have to be careful on mix and match).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 7971 was just the designation of 7970 with the TT shifters. Same derailleurs and main wiring harness. The front harness was different if you were going to use the shifters at the extensions and also at the brake levers.
Quote Reply