Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

D/A 9000 brake caliper and 28s
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used 28s (or 27s) with D/A 9000 brake calipers? I have 4-Season 25s now, and a buddy says he has used 28s, but it looks like a tight fit.

Can anyone confirm or deny?
Quote Reply
Re: D/A 9000 brake caliper and 28s [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a direct answer but I run Vittoria corsa EVO CX tires in 700x25 on Zipp 303 Firecrest clinchers with Latex tubes. That combination equates to an ~approximate width of 27.5mm and works just fine with a Dura Ace 9000 caliper up front and the DA 9000 direct mount under the bb in back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Sep 20, 14 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: D/A 9000 brake caliper and 28s [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. Width doesn't look like the issue, 'height' does in a lateral sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running Vittoria Open Pave CG III 27 with plenty of room.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Thx. Width doesn't look like the issue, 'height' does in a lateral sense.

The height issue may be more of a factor of the frame than the brakes. My BMC is REALLY tight vertically with 25mm Conti's, but Kitty's Roubaix has TONS of room.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: D/A 9000 brake caliper and 28s [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe on SRAM but for new D/A the pivot arms are lowest points of caliper.,that's what I'm concerned about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 9000 calipers with tyres that measure right on 28mm (specialized roubaix pro) on 16mm ird rims and it's fine. Remember that this is also partly dependant on the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Maybe on SRAM but for new D/A the pivot arms are lowest points of caliper.,that's what I'm concerned about.

I emailed you three pictures. All of the same wheel with a 25mm Conti 4000s tire. In my BMC with SRAM Red (2014) brakes there is almost no clearance. In Steve's SL4 with the same brakes there is some clearance. In Kitty's Roubaix with Dura Ace 7900 brakes there is a TON of clearance. Vertical clearance is the issue for me also.

Again, I suspect it has more to do with where the brake mounting hole is placed than the brake itself. I suspect that if I took the time to put my front brake on Kitty's Roubaix I'd find similarly good clearance. Quickstep is using the same brakes as me on their Roubaix frames and putting something like 32mm tires on for Paris Roubaix.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: D/A 9000 brake caliper and 28s [CLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Plenty of room on frame (Cannondale Synapse), it was a question of why they spec'd this model with 25s and others with 28s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, although my apologies, I should have been more specific; I was more referring to what Kevin said above about brake mount holes. Eg, I have 2 different specialized frames for which I thought this would work (same gen venge and Tarmac), but surprisingly this set up only fits on the venge
Quote Reply