Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

D-Ribose - Is anyone supplementing with this? Feedback?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I stumbled across some literature for D-Ribose and its capacity for increased ATP regeneration between long/intense sessions.
Having dug a little deeper, it seems promising for those on high training volumes.

What are people's experiences with D-Ribose as a daily supplement?
Good? Bad? Meh?

I'm all ears
Quote Reply
Re: D-Ribose - Is anyone supplementing with this? Feedback? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the typical athlete, its snake oil - like most supplements. I tried it and no effect. When I studied up on it, the body readily makes its requirement. Excess is transformed or catalyzed to other phosphate iterations or by products.
Quote Reply
Re: D-Ribose - Is anyone supplementing with this? Feedback? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of interest, how are you defining a "typical" athlete?

Are you thinking in terms of hrs/week training?
Or is it a more health based measure such as lack of debilitating illness such as CFS?
Quote Reply
Re: D-Ribose - Is anyone supplementing with this? Feedback? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually being overly conservative, as one doesn't have to be an athlete - but only an otherwise healthy person. A person with a healthy circulatory cadio system will not benefit from taking Ribose. In other words, its snake oil unless you have diseased arteries will very low blood flow - and even then its not defined as medically beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: D-Ribose - Is anyone supplementing with this? Feedback? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Neal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take d-ribose as one of the supplements / treatment I take for myalgic encephelomyelitis - a medical condition where the mitochondria (among many others) are not functioning properly.

Not sure any benefits if your healthy.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: D-Ribose - Is anyone supplementing with this? Feedback? [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar situation here. I started taking it 6 months ago to see if it would help with mitochondrial myopathy, based on studies I had seen using it to treat fibromyalgia. Prior to taking it, I would have to carefully monitor my efforts, and any over-exertion stayed with me. One hard sprint or climb at the beginning of a ride, and I was done. I wouldn't recover, my heart rate would stay elevated, etc. And I would often need to go back to bed for the rest of the day after a good workout or race, and sometimes stay in bed the next day as well. About a week into taking ribose, I was feeling what I recalled as "normal", I wasn't any faster or stronger, but I could actually recover immediately after a hard climb or sprint, and be functional the rest of the day. For me at least, it makes a huge difference...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply