Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good read, and good to know that on the whole, this is more about motorists than it is about cyclists*. But we have to be vigilant, and make sure that ALL cyclists get on the same page and ride to the rules of the road. Whenever we don't we just give the impression to motorists, that ALL cyclists are reckless renegades - which is the automatic default response, from many motorists!

*Note - One would hope that the laws of physics and the fact that motorists are driving 2 ton potentially maiming and killing machines would curb, motorists behavior and make them more responsible for their actions. We know from our experiences out on the road that for many motorists, this does not happen. In fact the opposite - getting behind the wheel of a car, emboldens them and makes them a reckless, selfish irresponsible renegade, who cares little for ANY other person on the road - pedestrian, cyclist or other driver!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
It's a good read, and good to know that on the whole, this is more about motorists than it is about cyclists*. But we have to be vigilant, and make sure that ALL cyclists get on the same page and ride to the rules of the road. Whenever we don't we just give the impression to motorists, that ALL cyclists are reckless renegades - which is the automatic default response, from many motorists!

Thank you for promoting the narrative of collective responsibility for cyclists, ie that all cyclists follow the rules of the road for cyclists to be treated right. Thank you so much for promoting concepts that many anti-cycling people agree with wholeheartedly. Well done.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jan 21, 18 2:50
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Thank you for promoting the narrative of collective responsibility for cyclists, and all cyclists follow the rules of the road. Thank you so much for promoting concepts that many anti-cycling people agree with wholeheartedly. Well done.

????

I agree completely with Fleck.
The prejudices of ignorant drivers, which are facilitated and reinforced by cyclists who behave poorly, are the single biggest risk to our safety on the roads IMO. It does not matter that I'm not responsible for the actions of other cyclists, I will nevertheless reap consequences, for better or worse.

Since, IMO, driver attitudes towards cyclists are typically based heavily on prejudice, the solution is difficult. People don't like being told they're wrong. They don't want to be educated. They don't want to see things from their "enemy's" point of view. While I might not deserve a driver's ire, that won't protect me from them. The fewer opportunities for them to reinforce their prejudice the better. It's far from the full solution but it would help keep the hole we're in from getting too much deeper.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jan 19, 18 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
....Cyclists ... are the single biggest risk to our safety on the roads IMO.

Hmmm

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Hmmm

I was more thinking LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Hmmm
I don't think your edit is entirely fair. However, I concede that what I wrote was not correct. I didn't say quite what I intended to! I've edited the previous post. Of course you might still disagree!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclists Are More Law-Abiding Than Drivers [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your thoughtful edit. I agree drivers are the biggest risk to cyclists on the roads.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Thank you for your thoughtful edit. I agree drivers are the biggest risk to cyclists on the roads.

can you both repost this exchange in the Lavender room to show folks how we should discuss on the Internet, and how to listen to each other rather than talk past each other?
Well done.
Quote Reply