Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips
Quote | Reply
I've got a run & ride event in 30 days. It's a pretty straight-forward 5k run + 15k TT.

The problem is that I'm a bike racer and not at all a runner. It's out of my comfort zone, but the starting line is also 100' from my house. I'm looking for a bit of advice on running prep over the next ~4 weeks.

I did the event 2 years ago...no running prep, literally no run warm-up; I paced my run based on just a feel for tempo/threshold and wound up running a 7:50 pace. I was actually proud of that. I hopped on my TT bike and.....HR was @ threshold but power was tempo. NO biggie...not much I could do about it.

I couldn't race last year as I'd broken my femur a month prior. No run for me!

I'd like to have a good run, but I'm not too stressed about crushing it. I'm not trying to compete I'd mainly like to set myself up to just have a solid (threshold) ride on the bike...a ride at mid-threshold power will get me the best bike split. :)

I'm about 6% lighter now than I was then (would that mean about 6% faster on the run, all else equal?). I was thinking that perhapsI should start out with 1/2 mile run, 1/2 mile walk. Not sure about the best way to ramp up.

Any ideas for a plan for the next 4 weeks?

My primary thing will be training on the bike, but i could do morning runs as often as advisable. Should I run easy and get used to the distance? Should I break it up with running and walking? Should I do some all-out efforts? What is the best way to warm-up race morning.....just do a running warm-up?

For reference, last year I threw on some shoes and did an all-out mile (no real warm-up) in ~7:00, just on the spur of the moment. I could not have continued that for 2 more miles.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try doing some easy 3mi runs just to get your body used to it (8:30-9:00 pace). Starting week two make one of the runs an interval session: run 400m at your mile pace (1:45), then do an easy walk/jog for 400m. Repeat four times in week two, six in weeks 3 and 4.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Try doing some easy 3mi runs just to get your body used to it (8:30-9:00 pace). Starting week two make one of the runs an interval session: run 400m at your mile pace (1:45), then do an easy walk/jog for 400m. Repeat four times in week two, six in weeks 3 and 4.
Thank you!

Would those interval sessions consist of 3 miles of run+walk or 3 miles of running (+3 of walking)?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thank you!

Would those interval sessions consist of 3 miles of run+walk or 3 miles of running (+3 of walking)?

Thank you!

Week 2 is 1 mile of speedwork (4X400) plus the 1 mile of walk/jog recoveries (total of two miles)

Weeks 3&4 are 150% of that.

This is a pretty light program, basically leveraging your bike fitness and getting some running adaptation.

For the race, the 5k should be pretty much an all out effort (minus the sprint at the end).

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you!

Week 2 is 1 mile of speedwork (4X400) plus the 1 mile of walk/jog recoveries (total of two miles)

Weeks 3&4 are 150% of that.

This is a pretty light program, basically leveraging your bike fitness and getting some running adaptation.

For the race, the 5k should be pretty much an all out effort (minus the sprint at the end).

Got it...thanks!

I was thinking my 5k should be more a low threshold effort than all out, as I have to bike after it and I'd rather do a 21' 15k bike split than a 21' 5k. (If my best mile last year...with no warm up and having run probably a sum total of 10 miles all year was 7:00, then is it possible in a month doing what you outlined I could string together here of those with a little effort? Not even sure what is feasible.)

I am 5# lighter than when I did that 7' effort and also not coming off of multiple surgeries in the prior 6 months, so there is that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just speaking from experience. You can do a 5k at LT and still time trial well, especially with no 2nd run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

^^^This is a good recommendation. Simple, but effective, especially given the time constraint to your race.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I'm just speaking from experience. You can do a 5k at LT and still time trial well, especially with no 2nd run.
Thanks! Any special prep I need to bike off of the run, or can I just insert the runs into my mornings (I generally do bike workouts in the afternoon)?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Prevost wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

^^^This is a good recommendation. Simple, but effective, especially given the time constraint to your race.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to start on this program this morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Thanks again for giving me a simple plan. I am fired up. Cranked out a 5k easy jog before work this morning. I was just pacing by feel. Worked out to be an 8:08 pace (was running into a headwind out, tail return). No real warm-up, just set off running.

I felt comfortable (not *easy*); I could feel the effort in my quads as I walked to cool down.

My threshold HR (40k biking) is ~175 for reference. I'm 41yo and fairly lean (~7%BF based on my last DEXA @ 8.8% and ~5# heavier). Kind of curious as to whether 6:59 pace x 3.1 miles is possible for me in a month...PLUS at least a low threshold (power) bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great start! aim for three runs per week (one is the interval set starting week2). Don't do more; your fitness will come from the bike miles, you're just getting running adaptation (and don't want to compromise your main bike training). A couple of notes:

Heart rate zones when running are often higher than biking (more muscles are used, and you're more vertical).

Intervals can be done with a GPS watch or a measured part of a road, but are traditionally done on the track at the local high school (ride/drive over, do your set, drive/ride home).

There is no special adaptation for biking after a run in a race (the opposite is definitely not true though). The one issue to deal with is the clothing transition; in a TT you have all day to put on your helmet, adjust the wrinkles from your skinsuit, etc.; not in a du/tri.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I'd seriously avoid 'all-out' short run intervals until you've built up to such efforts gradually starting from slower paces since you're coming off an injury. Unlike cycling, where you can go all-out, repeatedly, even if you're out of shape and just get sore, you can actually overstrain and tear bones and tendons in running if you do that coming from out-of-run-shape condition. Build gradually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Great start! aim for three runs per week (one is the interval set starting week2). Don't do more; your fitness will come from the bike miles, you're just getting running adaptation (and don't want to compromise your main bike training). A couple of notes:

Heart rate zones when running are often higher than biking (more muscles are used, and you're more vertical).

Intervals can be done with a GPS watch or a measured part of a road, but are traditionally done on the track at the local high school (ride/drive over, do your set, drive/ride home).

There is no special adaptation for biking after a run in a race (the opposite is definitely not true though). The one issue to deal with is the clothing transition; in a TT you have all day to put on your helmet, adjust the wrinkles from your skinsuit, etc.; not in a du/tri.
Thank you.

Also, when you suggested my base runs, were you thinking they should be just below lactate threshold? I'm wondering how to estimate LT pace. The only data I have is:
2013 @ 9# heavier: 7:50/mile pace for 5k.
2014 @ 5-6# heavier: 7:00 fastest mile
and today's effort.

I felt like I could have run 10k at today's 8:08 pace and still been pretty OK.

Point taken about intervals on a track. I have one ~15' away, but I also have a bike path with a known distance 100' from where I sit.

Also...points taken about transition. The last time I did this event it took me 1' to transition from run to bike. I have no idea if that is good or bad, but I was pretty blown after the run and actually needed to sit on the curb for a minute. I will run in a s/s skin suit, so no issues there. My helmet is not hard to put on (Kask)--main thing is the shoes. I was thinking of getting some of those Xtenex laces.

I don't know if a reasonable transition would be 20 or 30" (i.e. I'm giving up lots of "free" time), or if ~1' was about right and maybe I'd just given up a handful of seconds.

Oh yeah...it would probably take 5-10" just to get from the run finish to the bike start/weave through people even if one magically had all their stuff on instantly.

Today a friend told me that I should be able to run 19:00 for a 5k. I'm not sure I could (def couldn't bike afterwards), but it got me thinking about whether I *should* be capable of that pace and could essentially run 20 or 21 and feel like I held back so that I can bike at my true threshold power.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
FWIW, I'd seriously avoid 'all-out' short run intervals until you've built up to such efforts gradually starting from slower paces since you're coming off an injury. Unlike cycling, where you can go all-out, repeatedly, even if you're out of shape and just get sore, you can actually overstrain and tear bones and tendons in running if you do that coming from out-of-run-shape condition. Build gradually.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

To be sure I understand, the intervals suggested about (400m) are not "all-out" as it was suggested I do them at my fastest-mile pace. Does that reduce the concern?

Also, I have no interest in injuring myself for this event. I ran today. Should I take 1-2 days off from running before the next one?

I understand we're talking about 2-3 relatively easy runs per week and 1 with the intervals.

Also....just curious on pacing for the easier runs, i.e., is the 8:30/mile recommendation based on my last 5k effort, or is it based on the fact that my best mile last year was 7:00? If I think I can hit 21:00 for the 5k, should I base my "easy" runs on a pace that is 15-30"/mile slower than the 21:00 goal or the 8:30?

Sorry if I'm a bit dense/new to this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes - mile pace should be more reasonable, but still monitor yourself and if any tendon starts getting goofy, err on the safe side and ease up on it until you're more confident at a later date that you can handle the speed. Mile pace running is still very fast, albeit a lot slower than an all-out anaerobic sprint pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
I've got a run & ride event in 30 days. It's a pretty straight-forward 5k run + 15k TT.

The problem is that I'm a bike racer and not at all a runner. It's out of my comfort zone, but the starting line is also 100' from my house. I'm looking for a bit of advice on running prep over the next ~4 weeks.

I did the event 2 years ago...no running prep, literally no run warm-up; I paced my run based on just a feel for tempo/threshold and wound up running a 7:50 pace. I was actually proud of that. I hopped on my TT bike and.....HR was @ threshold but power was tempo. NO biggie...not much I could do about it.

I'd like to have a good run, but I'm not too stressed about crushing it. I'm not trying to compete I'd mainly like to set myself up to just have a solid (threshold) ride on the bike...a ride at mid-threshold power will get me the best bike split. :)

I'm about 6% lighter now than I was then (would that mean about 6% faster on the run, all else equal?). I was thinking that perhapsI should start out with 1/2 mile run, 1/2 mile walk. Not sure about the best way to ramp up.

My primary thing will be training on the bike, but i could do morning runs as often as advisable. Should I run easy and get used to the distance? Should I break it up with running and walking? Should I do some all-out efforts? What is the best way to warm-up race morning.....just do a running warm-up?

For reference, last year I threw on some shoes and did an all-out mile (no real warm-up) in ~7:00, just on the spur of the moment. I could not have continued that for 2 more miles.

Thank you!

oh this is easy. FTP 1.1w/kg per m/s. which means you should be able to run an hour at, say 9.8 mph if you completely switch to running. 7 mph is easily doable :p

seriously though, i doubt 4 weeks would allow you to run at high tempo pace for 5 k. 8-12 week lead up would be much more preferable. If i were you i'd just slog the run and slaughter people on the 15k TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
tetonrider wrote:

Thank you!

oh this is easy. FTP 1.1w/kg per m/s. which means you should be able to run an hour at, say 9.8 mph if you completely switch to running. 7 mph is easily doable :p

seriously though, i doubt 4 weeks would allow you to run at high tempo pace for 5 k. 8-12 week lead up would be much more preferable. If i were you i'd just slog the run and slaughter people on the 15k TT.
i've decided my goal is going to be ~20' in the 5k and have a decent bike (threshold power) off of that. i will know more once i do a couple of speed sessions.

20' puts me close enough to the good runners who can also have a decent bike, so we shall see. i ordered elastic laces a moment ago and may try a flying mount with my shoes on the bike.

we'll see. no point in aiming for mediocre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 3mi runs are meant to be easy, resist the urge to push them. If you felt like you could go 3 more miles then pacing was about right. Many runners make the mistake of training in the "gray zone"; going too hard on easy days and too easy on hard days.

For the intervals, if they feel too easy then speed up the recovery walk/jog vs. speeding up the interval. You should finish feeling like you could have done one more.

No need for special laces, just pull your running shoes off when you reach your bike (elastic laces are so we can put the shoes on faster).

In the race you should be pretty redline by the end of the run (mine are usually within 15 sec. of my open times). Spin a slightly lighter gear for the first 1k of the bike to settle in.

In terms of judging LT, short of doing a treadmill test, just go by perceived effort (you know what it feels like from the bike). Typically your breathing rate takes a big jump when you pass LT.

One option (at the risk of overdoing it) is to do a local 5k the week before the race. You can see what kind of time to aim for, and learn from any pacing mistakes.

As for what time you'll run...hard to say. I've known Cat IIs that couldn't break 20min for a year after they started multisport, and 15min. 5k runners who struggled in Cat IV. History is the best predictor. If your 3mi runs are at 8:08, then 7:30 or better is certainly reasonable in a race situation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the best single mile you could run last year was 7:00, what makes you think that you'll be able to run 3.1 miles at 6:30 pace four weeks from now?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
If the best single mile you could run last year was 7:00, what makes you think that you'll be able to run 3.1 miles at 6:30 pace four weeks from now?

i probably can't do it, but i like to think about what *might* be possible.

here's why i think it might be possible (feel free to shoot me down):
- when i ran that mile, i was literally sitting at my desk and got the idea to go all out 5' beforehand. hand my shoes on, out the door and started running within 20 steps. no warm-up. turns out it was 6:56.
- i broke my femur 3 months prior to that...to the day.
- i had "run" one time, one month prior (trot 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 x3).
- i was 5# heavier than i am today.
[edit to add: - also....race day. motivation will be high, tons of other runners. it could lift me up/lift my pace...potentially putting my bike power a bit at risk but increasing the chance of running a fast (for me) time.]

running 6:30 x 3.1 is probably unlikely, but if i do my speed work at that pace, then *maybe* it is possible.

i have plenty of engine in me, lots of ability to suffer for 20', and plenty of endurance. i need to move my feet/legs at that pace. no illusions--i have no economy at that pace right now...but maybe in 4 weeks????

truth is, i'd be stoked with 21'....hell, i'll be thrilled with any time as long as i give every step my full effort. just doing this race is stepping out of my comfort zone.
Last edited by: tetonrider: Apr 30, 15 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The 3mi runs are meant to be easy, resist the urge to push them. If you felt like you could go 3 more miles then pacing was about right. Many runners make the mistake of training in the "gray zone"; going too hard on easy days and too easy on hard days.

For the intervals, if they feel too easy then speed up the recovery walk/jog vs. speeding up the interval. You should finish feeling like you could have done one more.

No need for special laces, just pull your running shoes off when you reach your bike (elastic laces are so we can put the shoes on faster).

In the race you should be pretty redline by the end of the run (mine are usually within 15 sec. of my open times). Spin a slightly lighter gear for the first 1k of the bike to settle in.

In terms of judging LT, short of doing a treadmill test, just go by perceived effort (you know what it feels like from the bike). Typically your breathing rate takes a big jump when you pass LT.

One option (at the risk of overdoing it) is to do a local 5k the week before the race. You can see what kind of time to aim for, and learn from any pacing mistakes.

As for what time you'll run...hard to say. I've known Cat IIs that couldn't break 20min for a year after they started multisport, and 15min. 5k runners who struggled in Cat IV. History is the best predictor. If your 3mi runs are at 8:08, then 7:30 or better is certainly reasonable in a race situation.

thanks! yeah, fitness on the bike does not necessarily translate to good running times. so much has to do with economy and the way one's body works. i know a guy who runs 15' 5k's and can't win a cat 4 bike race, as you do, too.....but i also know a cat 1 who can run 16' at altitude.

oh yeah...my race is at 6,300', but all my #s are based on that.

funny you mention the 5k. there IS a 5k locally, but it happens to be on saturday. i already have an obligation that day. too bad it is not 2 weeks out or so.

and thanks for the comments about LT. i do have a good feel for it. i instinctively ran at LT a couple years ago (albeit slowly). 8:08 today was definitely "say hello to everyone on the path" pace today....and even easy 10k. i should get 3, 4, 5 more sessions in before i even think about it more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to burst your bubble (although i do like to take jab at you ;)), but 1 month is really not sufficient to realize your cardiovascular potentials. i think people generally recommend at least 2-3 months of acclimation, with the first few weeks consisted of jogs interspersed with walks. Your high FTP dictates that you won't have much issues aerobically, but i'm afraid that your bones and connective tissues won't be up to the task of handling the stress of running fast. Granted, you do a lot of off season cross training with crosscountry skiing, but I'm not sure if that simulates the pounding of fast-paced running.

Personally one of these days i'd like to break 5 minutes for the mile. Back 8-9 years ago when i was 10+ lbs heavier, I ran a 5:45 mile and 20 flat for 3k. I think i'm in much better shape aerobically, and one of these days i'd like to lace up my racing flats and give it another go.
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 30, 15 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist needs a few running (prep) tips [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
not to burst your bubble (although i do like to take jab at you ;)), but 1 month is really not sufficient to realize your cardiovascular potentials.

my runs between now and then will have zero focus on cardio changes. that's already taken care of / no fitness to be built for something that short.

echappist wrote:
i think people generally recommend at least 2-3 months of acclimation, with the first few weeks consisted of jogs interspersed with walks.
i agree. part of this is for people "running" marathons off the couch. i'm not at all worried about endurance on the run.

and the other part is ramping a bit slow so that people don't injure themselves. i think someone like me (fit, aerobically, but not used to running) has a serious risk of injury as my fitness will allow me to do more than i should. BUT...that's precisely the point of just running a couple times a week and keeping them short. there is NO need for me to run more than 3 miles, max, at a time, given my goals.

echappist wrote:
Your high FTP dictates that you won't have much issues aerobically, but i'm afraid that your bones and connective tissues won't be up to the task of handling the stress of running fast. Granted, you do a lot of off season cross training with crosscountry skiing, but I'm not sure if that simulates the pounding of fast-paced running.
yep-- that pounding is quite a bit different. i don't know that material changes happen to ligaments and tendons in a period of 2 months vs 1 month....for true durability i think one needs to have a really long time horizon; that's not me as i'm not going to incorporate running as a long-term thing. my body just doesn't work that way with running and long-term running (for me) leads to injury.

i'm going to run minimally between now and the event and just stay fresh. my real fitness comes from the bike. but....i'll be able to throw down a solid effort on race day--hard enough that i'll be feeling it for a couple days later.

echappist wrote:
Personally one of these days i'd like to break 5 minutes for the mile. Back 8-9 years ago when i was 10+ lbs heavier, I ran a 5:45 mile and 20 flat for 3k. I think i'm in much better shape aerobically, and one of these days i'd like to lace up my racing flats and give it another go.

you've mentioned this before, and it made me think about it. even though i might have very solid 5' power, it just doesn't translate to a 5' mile. so much depends on biomechanics and efficiency; a body that works well on a bike doesn't always work well on the run.

in HS i did a 5:30 mile and while i'm fitter now and better able to suffer, i don't think i could go below that. in fact, i don't know that i could ever get back to it. (i wound up getting injured at that time.) there's a huge difference IMO between 4:59 and 5:30.

but.....if you are motivated you should give it a shot.

wow, all this talk of low #s is making me think that 6:30, 7 is slow! :) when i go out and run 400s i'll know some more. pace will all sort itself out, but i'm going to try for 90-100". i'm willing to bet that how the first and second sessions feel is very different from 4+ weeks from now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

hey, all. just wanted to thank everyone again for the discussion and advice. i did my first "speed" work this morning. 12x400 on the track.

i just ran by feel for the first one. i figured i'd aim for 90-100" quarters (i know that is a big range). i didn't ever look at the watch other than to see about what i was hitting after each one. turns out i did them at 1:29-1:33 fairly comfortably. no joint pain at all (told myself i'd end the session if i felt anything at all), and just a little sensation in the quads and hammies on the last few. HR would hit 183 (i'm 41yo) after each one but drop back to ~100 quickly. i walked 200m (~2, 2.5') between each.

thanks for the encouragement. i expected it to feel worse than it did. i went into it thinking it would not feel great but after 3, 4 weeks of sessions the sensations would totally change. this has me quite encouraged.

[fixed the image]

Last edited by: tetonrider: May 4, 15 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
expected to be sore after yesterday's speed session, and other than a slight sensation (not pain) in the front of my shins i don't feel any issues in my legs. interesting.

after last thursday's 3-mile easy run, i felt leg soreness thurs night, friday and saturday. i did an intense session on the bike on saturday and then felt no leg soreness afterwards.

i'm pretty surprised that i didn't feel anything from yesterday!

i'm even thinking about a set of racing flats. i've read they can be worth 2"/mile X ounces saved for one shoe, which could mean 24" over my 5k. definitely would not want to get injured, so i imagine i'd have to get them and then do 1 or 2 workouts in them beforehand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next