Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks?
Quote | Reply
I have tried both, and not sure which is preferable. Is one or the other more beneficial?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [TriLance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're a cyclist-socks. If you're a triathlete-no socks (unless it's cold, but then toe covers work well too)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri shoes no / road shoes yes / mtb yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [lawhorve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lawhorve wrote:
Tri shoes no / road shoes yes / mtb yes.

Yup....

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training on tri bike - yes.
Why? Because those shoes will get stinky real fast with bare feet in them.

Racing on tri bike - no.
Why? Try putting socks on wet feet. Also, if you have any sand on your feet, with socks, it can be hard to wiggle your feet around enough to get grains out of pressure points. Much easier to do barefoot.

All other cycling - yes.
Same reason as training. (All other cycling is training, right?)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh dude, you need to read up...

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Specifically rule #'s 27 & 28*

*but ignore the first part of the second sentence

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore socks for 1 year after starting tri's. The next 20 years have been sockless. I wear no socks in my tri shoes, my road shoes, my mtb shoes or my running shoes ( both on and off road).

I even snuck onto duty as a bike cop without socks if I was wearing long pants in the winter months. In the summer, with shorts, I'd get caught and yelled at so I had to wear socks.....sometimes : )

Socks?.......I don't need no stinking socks!!!

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dress shoes=Yes
Work boots=No
Solo rides=No
Rides w/triathletes=No
Roadie group rides=Yes
Generally in life=No

If God wanted us to have socks, we would not have individual toes.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [Pete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pete wrote:
Oh dude, you need to read up...

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Specifically rule #'s 27 & 28*

*but ignore the first part of the second sentence

You should also just go ahead and completely ignore #42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is weather dependent. Temperature is a factor (you'll have to find your own personal sock/ no sock cutoff). Wind might also be a factor near the borderline temperatures. Rain most certainly is. Dew point, not so much.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only wear socks in my tri shoes if it's cold. That's training or racing. As noted, they will get stinkier faster, but I don't find it too much of a chore washing 'em when they need it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Training on tri bike - yes.
Why? Because those shoes will get stinky real fast with bare feet in them.

Get yourself a small box fan from anywhere and leave it on the floor on low. When you come back from the ride, leave your shoes in front of the fan. No stinkum.

(edit) I just leave it running all the time and leave the running and bike shoes in front of it all the time.
Last edited by: Danielg: May 25, 13 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [Danielg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "cool" factor is all no socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [OCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OCTri wrote:
The "cool" factor is all no socks.

Huh? I'm 47. I left any cool factor a long time ago. I've got cycling shoes I wear socks with and tri shoes that I do not.

Socks are for below about 50 degrees and in cycling shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely socks and preferably merino ones, particularly in winter.

Pre-powdered socks on race day are a special treat that not only go on easily but make my toes fresh, dry and sweet smelling and also help soak up the pee a few hours later :-)

A change of pre-powdered socks in T2 is therefore not only recommended but even more of a treat and helps restore some of sweet smelling freshness that unfortunately will also get peed on in the next couple of hours.

I don't pee on my socks in training I might add.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do sprints. Use Sidi no socks. Speed play pedals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use no socks with tri shoes for training and racing. Then I got a pair of sidi tri shoes...that changed my outlook completely. They started to smell sooo bad. The had to be prematurely retired, unfortunately. I loved the shoes, but couldn't stand to be around them. So now, it's train in really thin socks and race sockless...unless it's strictly cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two sources of information:

The Rules - http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

My Blog - http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/.../01/black-socks.html

- My ode to the benefits of black socks!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are planning to race IMTX - Fire resistant socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIATHLETES DO IT BAREBACK

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no socks. less is better, for me.
But it depends, lets look at the pro's and cons.

Pro's
- Ease chafing between the foot and footwear.
- Keep feet warm
- Absorb sweat from the feet

Con's
- More stuff to put on.
- They come in pairs, sometimes you misplace or lose one, rendering the other one useless as a foot sock, unless you don't mind mismatching, which I don't.
- If you normally wear socks and have no clean ones or forgot them, you will miss them.

lol

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is all up apparel shoes you go with, socks can be worn with one which is necessary or not. As above you can see many have said what and with...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling shoes - Socks or no socks? [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBiker wrote:
I only wear socks in my tri shoes if it's cold. That's training or racing. As noted, they will get stinkier faster, but I don't find it too much of a chore washing 'em when they need it.

Yep, it's all dependent on temperature - forget being a "real" triathlete and bring socks in your bag just in case.

Last sprint I did was a balmy 6 Celsius, rainy and windy (in July, no less). The water temperature was borderline but swim wasn't cancelled. I didn't bring socks. I wish I did. If your feet are frozen, taking 10 seconds to put on socks in transition will offset you running with blue feet later on (there were a few cases of hypothermia). I also was the only one in the whole field doing a flying mount, and in the weather conditions, I made quite a spectacle of it (didn't crash, but I'm not sure I gained any time advantage...)

The sprint I did before that one, the swim got cancelled because it was too cold and we did a duathlon. I again didn't bring socks. It wasn't as bad because it wasn't raining, but my legs were starting to cramp at the end of the bike because I was curling my toes too much trying to warm them. On the flipside... most people had their shoes clipped in at T1. I didn't. There was a slightly muddy slope to go up before mounting line. About 20 people without shoes just slipped and crashed trying to go up the small slope. It was ugly. Cleats did wonder as traction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I''ll bite on this...

Do you wear any underwear while in your work clothes, or your weekend clothes? If so, why? What for? What does that pair of whitey tighties really do for you? Technically it does nothing really, don't you agree? It simply adds another layer of soft frabric underneath outer soft fabric? Does it make you warmer? No. Does it protect you? No. Does it support the johns or janes? Not really. But why do we wear it? Because of personal reasons.

When I was in college, sometimes I would be so lazy that I would just go comando. Yup, nothing between me and my 501s. I loved it. It was comfortable, and well.... I was free! Free of the man-made apparel that did not serve me any technical purpose.

That was 20 years ago. I don't go comando anymore except when riding my bike. I wear my whitey tighties everyday because my clothes are just more comfortable with them on. In fact, I wear white Hanes Ts underneath my work clothes. All for comfort.

So with regard to wearing socks. There doesn't have to be any reason for them, but there could be a lot. Point being - you should / shouldn't wear them because of YOUR OWN personal reasons. What other people are doing about their socks shouldn't really matter. What is important are your reasons, your choice, your comfort. Asking why people wear socks is akin to asking them why they wear any underwear at all. At least in my book...

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Oct 20, 14 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wear socks to absorb sweat. the salt will kill your shoes otherwise.
Quote Reply

Prev Next