Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling orthotics
Quote | Reply
Looking for recommendations on cycling specific orthotics that I can mold myself. In essence I'm trying to turn my cycling shoes in stability cycling shoes similar to how my custom foot orthotics correct my running shoes. Custom is out of the question, for the next year until my benefits reset. 500 bucks with my wife on mat leave would be challenging. Thanks in advance .
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling orthotics [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swapped out my Sidi inserts for the Sole inserts. Huge difference and under $50. Make sure you get the thinner ones (gray) designed for tighter fitting shoes etc. They can mold just through wear or you can heat mold them as well. http://www.yoursole.com/...footbeds/thin-sport/

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling orthotics [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrnut wrote:
I swapped out my Sidi inserts for the Sole inserts. Huge difference and under $50. Make sure you get the thinner ones (gray) designed for tighter fitting shoes etc. They can mold just through wear or you can heat mold them as well. http://www.yoursole.com/...footbeds/thin-sport/

Thank you very much. Adding a direct link to the product was really appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought some Pearl Izumi ones and they are just too thick for my already tight Sidis. Vibration dampening is awesome however. I might try the Soles brand next. All I really want is some better arch support. What I probably need it to buy a new pair of shoes. Maybe some Bontragers.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Apr 4, 14 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live near Roadrunner Sports, head in and have them make you some. They have incredible equipment and it only takes about 30 mins. The film you running and will even film you in different shoes.
Only $80 for the orthotics, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whilst not fully customizable - Superfeet makes cycling insoles- OTC that I have used for many years and love them.. Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do these give arch support and dampen any road vibration? Can they be repeatedly remolded till perfect?

i had a few problems with comfort of my right cycling shoe (a pressure spot and a bot of road vibration) and tried my custom running orthotic insert instead of the BG insole which came with the specialized shoes. Much more comfortable. i have forefoot and heel correction - which i thought helped when riding. it isn't a great solution as the heel is a bit high and the hard base of the insert is a bit redundent with the stiff sole of the cycling shoe - so i hope i can get close with the moldable sole inserts.

thank you for any assistance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you trying to take care of your feet? Or correct biomechanics of the pedal stroke? If latter, shims under the cleats will work just as well and be much easier and cheaper to obtain.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling orthotics [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe he means these http://www.footbalance.com
I use them, great support and molds to your foot and don't take up much room

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
Looking for recommendations on cycling specific orthotics that I can mold myself. In essence I'm trying to turn my cycling shoes in stability cycling shoes similar to how my custom foot orthotics correct my running shoes. Custom is out of the question, for the next year until my benefits reset. 500 bucks with my wife on mat leave would be challenging. Thanks in advance .

Custom Inserts is the best investment I have ever made for cycling. I had custom ones made in Tucson by a fairly well known guy, who has since passed away but his son runs the business still. If you search for Tucson and cycling inserts I am sure you will find it. Don't skimp, pay the money now and they will last forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling orthotics [mc.cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the heat moldable insoles compare to the giro or pearl kits with switchable parts?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling orthotics [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I bought some Pearl Izumi ones and they are just too thick for my already tight Sidis. Vibration dampening is awesome however. I might try the Soles brand next. All I really want is some better arch support. What I probably need it to buy a new pair of shoes. Maybe some Bontragers.

I'm looking for the same thing and already have Bontrager XXX shoes. Went into the store and they suggested getting the Bontrager specific heat moldable insoles. They arrive tomorrow and I'll likely use them Saturday. I'll try and remember to come on here and post my thoughts.

FWIW... they're $40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure they are designed or advertise dampening road vibration, but they seem to do an adequate job versus the standard insoles. Out of the box they provide a fair amount of arch support, which of course you can personalize through the heat molding. I haven't attempted to remold them, but the shop that recommended them did say they could be.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling orthotics [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
If you live near Roadrunner Sports, head in and have them make you some. They have incredible equipment and it only takes about 30 mins. The film you running and will even film you in different shoes.
Only $80 for the orthotics, too.

RoadRunner sports does not sell custom orthotics. RoadRunner sells molded footbeds. You can not compare the two as they are vastly different. My custom orthotics have corrective shaping to help deal with issues I have in my feet. Molded footbeds are nothing more then shaping the insole of your shoe for additional comfort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for the response. my local shop has the bontrager moldable footbeds mentioned by another poster so I will ask the fitter if he thinks they are worth trying. if not, I will give the sole inserts a go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have custom inserts for cycling shoes actually 2 pairs. Neither were any where near $500. One I tried to deal with foot issues using a place in AZ and didn't work. Next tried custom shoes that came with custom inserts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have custom Bont orthotics with arch support. Feels great and they really weren't that expensive..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$500 for custom insoles would be a true rip off. I have never had success with custom insoles at all.
If I was you I wouldn't waste your money and buy some off the shelf ones that generally offer more rigid arch support and hold your feet in the best position. These are the ones that I wear hen cycling and are great:
http://edunonline.com/...r-plantar-fasciitis/
Last edited by: mandymandy: Oct 9, 17 3:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any heat-moldable insert is not going to be as rigid as an off-the-shelf (or custom) orthotic. I've tried heat-moldable inserts in my running shoes, and they were fine for walking around in but just not adequate for running in. I ended up going with custom orthotics for running. For cycling however, check out the Specialized insoles. I've previously tried Superfeet and Currex insoles in my cycling shoes, and the Specialized insoles are far and away better for cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Do these give arch support and dampen any road vibration? Can they be repeatedly remolded till perfect?
Sole insoles can be remolded, but I think only one or two times before they get stiff and less able to change. They give a lot of arch support, though you can lessen that by pushing the arch down while remolding.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply