Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling near Morristown, NJ
Quote | Reply
I may be temporarily relocating to Morristown, and I'm completely oblivious as to the cycling around here. Could someone shed light on the following:

-Where could one go for TT bike riding (I'm thinking wide-ish shoulders and preferably minimal elevation change). I'd be willing to ride to or even drive to the start
-Where could one go for longer rides
-Are there any group rides in the area

I'm otherwise familiar with Central NJ (south of Morristown), and i guess worst comes to worst, I can drive to Fort Lee and just do my old routine on 9W. But i'd prefer not having to do that if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling near Morristown, NJ [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To items 2 and 3, yes. Tons of great routes (lots of hills) and club routes. I've not found great TT spots but I'm on the lookout. I'm in bedminster, about 15-20' from Morristown.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once lived somewhat in the area for a bit. Cycling in the great swamp was very popular and not very heavily traveled by cars. These roads might be a decent loop.

http://www.mapmyride.com/...mp-loop-route-671714
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Feb 5, 17 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive-or ride to Harriman State Park-safe and IMHO blows the doors off anything in and around Morristown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lamington road west from 206 in Far Hills is a favorite TT spot. 9-10 miles out and back over rollers. Lots of great road routes and gravel intersect with Lamington. Easy ride from Morristown. The swamp is flat and a popular route. But you need to stay aware, no shoulder and some limited lines of sight.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling near Morristown, NJ [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the responses. certainly gives me a better sense of what to expect. lack of shoulder is certainly the main concern

pots4 wrote:
Drive-or ride to Harriman State Park-safe and IMHO blows the doors off anything in and around Morristown.

yikes, looks like driving to Fort Lee for 9W may not be so crazy after all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's lots of really good riding in Morris and Hunterdon counties; there's really no reason to drive to Harriman or 9W. Start with Marty's Reliable Cycle in Morristown (http://martysreliable.com/) and they'll point you to rides and local groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liberty Cycle out of Basking Ridge has excellent group rides on Saturday and Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been living and training in of Morristown for almost 20yrs. There is a ton of great (relatively safe), low traffic riding if you simply go west of town. It is really easy to mix and match roads to dial in virtually any distance you are looking to train up to and beyond IM training distance without repeating roads or loops. Very few traffic lights/stop signs even on the longest rides if you do it right.

I will second the Swamp and Lamington Rd (incl. Black River Rd) as great area if you are looking for "in the bars, head down" TT'ing. Morris, N. Somerset and Hunterdon counties are mostly rollers to hilly though. Not alot of flat to be had beyond the above mentioned Swamp.

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling near Morristown, NJ [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out njbikemap.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been gone from NJ for almost 20 years but I do know that in Morristown you are very close to some great riding on either a TT or road bike. Do not go back to 9W, as Natri Dizz told you; go west young man!!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling near Morristown, NJ [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the suggestions.

out of curiosity, how bad an idea would it be to bike on U.S. 206 (say the section near Chester, NJ)? I live pretty close to the portion of it in southern Somerset County, and I normally would not want to ride on there despite the wide shoulders on that road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're a tt guy check out the NJ cup. You are central to all of the races, and they are on Saturdays so you can do a long ride on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would minimize your use of 206 if I were you. Even near Chester it is pretty busy. The shoulders are wide, as you say, so it is relatively safe but no reason to be on it with the wealth of better options that run parallel and perpendicular to it. If you know 206 in that area, it will be time well spent to get to know the roads near it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling near Morristown, NJ [Sgpbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Liberty Cycle in Basking Ridge. Awesome LBS with great people riding with /supporting them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been gone from the area for a long time but I used to ride a 1 or 2 mile stretch of 206 as part of my longer ride. There is nothing wrong with it, if you don't mind 60 mile per hour traffic right next to you. The thing is; there are such great riding roads in western NJ that you really don't want to use 206 for more than a connector. I've never been on 9w north of the GWB but it's probably like that.

As someone else mentioned, check with that bike shop in Far Hills. I remember it being a good shop with lots of group rides.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling near Morristown, NJ [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

i went map sleuthing and realized that there's road around Lake Parsippany that makes for a 2.5-mile loop. Does anyone know how suitable this loop is for training, in particular for TT bike training?

Also, if one were to ride from Morristown to Great Swamp, what would be considered to be a relatively safe route?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure exactly where you are in Morristown, but James St to Blue Mill to Long Hill Rd would be fine. Or you could take South St to Woodland or Spring Valley towards the swamp area.
Quote Reply