Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Tokyo
Quote | Reply
Will be in Tokyo at the end of October. Arriving Friday work not starting before Tuesday.
So I have a long weekend to kill.

Anybody knows of cycling groups and bike rentals (road bike) for a weekend or otherwise has some tips on where to go and what else to consider.
Will stay close to Shinagawa Station.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry cant help you with cycle hire specifics, but there is a big cycling culture in Japan and I remember a number of high end bike shops in tokyo where you should be able to hire. I took my own bike out there and did a few bike rides from the centre of tokyo heading north. Id suggest getting a train out of town and riding from there. I rode for 50 miles out and back, the best it got was some semi rural suburbs. Tiny country lanes with every inch of ground growing something. It wasnt great training but I loved it.

try http://rentabike.jp/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Osaka end of October for a few days. Decided to just run and swim while there. Good for you for attempting cycling. I'm too intimidated by the narrow streets the urbanization and the sheer population density.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Limited to cycling right now due to injury.

Dilbert wrote:
I'll be in Osaka end of October for a few days. Decided to just run and swim while there. Good for you for attempting cycling. I'm too intimidated by the narrow streets the urbanization and the sheer population density.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

When you are in Osaka and have some ytime to kill, here is what I really wanted to do but is too far from Tokyo but might well be doable from Osaka. In fact the person who told me about it did from Osaka. Giant has a bike rental there with high end road bikes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3478.html

Dilbert wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to Tokyo regularly for work. You'll see a lot of people ride their bikes (road and tri) around the Imperial Palace, about a 3 mile loop. It is also one of the most popular running routes in Tokyo because you can be off the street the entire time so it's safe and no intersections or street crossings to worry about. But the cyclists ride on the street. I would honestly never consider cycling in Tokyo proper - too dense and dangerous. Although the Japanese are unfailingly polite there is just too much going on to be safe.

Many of the more rural areas have dedicated biking lanes because people often cycle to work, as in Europe. Within the Tokyo metro, there actually is a long trail that is mostly paved that follows the Tama River. Google "Tamagawa" or "Tama River Trail" for the names of subway stops. It runs something like 50K long.

IMPORTANT: If you don't have one already, get a Pasmo card at your subway station. This card is refillable at 7-11s. You can carry that and use it for subway tix, anything at 7-11 (which are on every corner, literally) and at many vending machines. Also, carry a biz card from the hotel (you can get at the front desk) you are staying in because you can show it to a taxi driver to help you get home without having to speak Japanese.

I can't specifically speak to the bike rental piece, but if I wanted to rent I would go out of town or on the Tama River trail, or go to a gym and spin.

Have fun.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first dougefresh says is right but it's just funnier to watch all these people riding that short loop on Sunday. I just did my run down there and was amused by all the high end gear everyone is sporting. Compression all over the place.
Didn't think about getting a bike though.
Enjoy your trip.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been 20yrs since I lived in Tokyo, but I'd say forget it. Not possible.
Go to a 3-tier driving range instead and just whack some balls.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know anything bout cycling okinawa? Heading to Kadena this winter for a couple months and really would like to take the bike......ill take the trainer if i have to.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
I go to Tokyo regularly for work. You'll see a lot of people ride their bikes (road and tri) around the Imperial Palace, about a 3 mile loop. It is also one of the most popular running routes in Tokyo because you can be off the street the entire time so it's safe and no intersections or street crossings to worry about. But the cyclists ride on the street. I would honestly never consider cycling in Tokyo proper - too dense and dangerous. Although the Japanese are unfailingly polite there is just too much going on to be safe.

Many of the more rural areas have dedicated biking lanes because people often cycle to work, as in Europe. Within the Tokyo metro, there actually is a long trail that is mostly paved that follows the Tama River. Google "Tamagawa" or "Tama River Trail" for the names of subway stops. It runs something like 50K long.

IMPORTANT: If you don't have one already, get a Pasmo card at your subway station. This card is refillable at 7-11s. You can carry that and use it for subway tix, anything at 7-11 (which are on every corner, literally) and at many vending machines. Also, carry a biz card from the hotel (you can get at the front desk) you are staying in because you can show it to a taxi driver to help you get home without having to speak Japanese.

I can't specifically speak to the bike rental piece, but if I wanted to rent I would go out of town or on the Tama River trail, or go to a gym and spin.

Have fun.

Good advice and recon.

I'd not rent a ride down there if I didn't at least speak rudimentary Japanese....

I also did tons of recon before finding some rideable options thanks to locals I got hooked in with (you wouldn't be able to follow the directions just from online descriptions).

Riding at 2 AM is a good time!

γ†γΎγγ„γγΎγ™γ‚ˆγ†γ«
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 14, 17 21:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a triathlete friend that lives there and he does a lot of cycling on his trainer unless taking a longer trip out of town. I think there is a loop at the Tokyo Port that is closed to traffic on Sunday mornings so that cyclist can ride loops. Something like 10k and sounds like a rat race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just been to Osaka and Tokyo, I would recommend your hotel gym. I almost never utilize hotel gyms, but learned quickly that I had to adjust for running, as the crowding and directions are complicated, and a lot of the pedestrian-friendly infrastructure is underground. So I would consider riding the hotel gym bike. I know it is less than ideal, but unless you're familiar with the infrastructure and the Japanese language, I really think it will be tough (and frustrating) outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I have a triathlete friend that lives there and he does a lot of cycling on his trainer unless taking a longer trip out of town. I think there is a loop at the Tokyo Port that is closed to traffic on Sunday mornings so that cyclist can ride loops. Something like 10k and sounds like a rat race!

Correct, it's called Oi Futo:
https://japantriathlon.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/biking-plan-03-oi-futo-loop-9-16km/

I lived in Tokyo for four years; while the loop around the Imperial Palace is popular and central, it's a bit trafficky and crowded (nice for running, however). So get to Oi Futo, ride the long loop or the short loop:
https://www.strava.com/segments/1082882

Note if you get there too early you will bump into the group racing their fancy cars, Tokyo Drift style. (No, seriously.)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Tokyo [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rent or borrow a typical Japanese city bicycle (complete with basket!) and just ride slowly around Tokyo for fun. I live in Japan and have visited Tokyo many times, but wouldn't really contemplate cycling there. Just go for a run around the palace or in one of the parks!

Plenty of people do though...check out this guy on Strava:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4567237

On the other hand, cycling in the countryside in Japan can be absolutely wonderful - quiet, lightly-used mountain rides. Just beware of octogenarian farmers in their trucks!

I haven't cycled there, but I'd imagine the cycling in Okinawa should be great as well.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took my bike to Japan many times but never rode in Tokyo. Unless I'd be out real early I don't think I'd want to as there's too much traffic and it would take some time to get to less populated roads, particularly from Shinagawa. Too many traffic lights for my taste, though I did do many an early morning run starting out from Shinagawa. All my riding started from Tsukuba, which is about an hour by train from Tokyo. You likely could start elsewhere to cut the commute time down.

In Tsukuba at least, I believe Forza Bike would rent road bikes. Not cheap, but I do believe they rent. They also had MTBs. They used to have a location at the mall at the second to last stop on the Tsukuba Express. Their other store is about a 15 minute walk from Tsukuba Center. Note that if you take a bike on the train, it's got to be bagged.

I do know there are rides from Tokyo hosted by westerners. Just Google it and I'm sure you'll find them. But honestly I'd look outside Tokyo - more open riding, interesting small towns, glimpses of the countryside, ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You also ask where to go and what else to consider. Is that tourism related? If so, plenty of places around Tokyo to hit depending on your interests, be it art, music, history, gaming, anime, swords, parasites, cars, animals, maid cafes, ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at a map of where you'll be staying and HOLY CRAP. If ever was there a place for riding indoors, this is it. Seems like you'd need to get on a train and ride a long ways out to find any decent roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Tokyo.

For a very nice group to join that has different ride levels that are all a little "touristy" try: http://halffastcycling.com/

For a bike rental: this will be a challenge. If you read Japanese, there are companies that will deliver a rental complete with clipless pedals etc to your hotel and pick it up. If you don't read Japanese, you may want to ask the hotel if they can help you. Nothing in english.

For locations:
Oi Futo is great, but a little tricky to find, and only good riding on Sundays when the trucks are not there.
Tama is too narrow, don't recommend.
Arakawa river is awesome, but you'll need to ride about 15km to get there on the street. Riding on Tokyo streets is easy, the cars are polite and the paving is excellent. But you'll have to stop at red lights.
Imperial Palace is possible, but unless you go at 5am, its gets trafficky. You're expected to stop at red lights, even though there's not really any reason to. But of course, best to respect the local cycling culture.

If you're not familiar with Tokyo and don't have another cyclist to bring you around, I'd suggest just running. Imperial palace, akasaka palace, yoyogi park are all good places to go. Swimming is getting tough because pools are closing for renovations for the 2020 olympics. But you can still find a few public 50m pools open...for now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent two months there back in 2014. Got hooked up with a nice Scott roadie through a friend, sorry no info on rental. But no doubt it's possible!

Our thing was hopping the first ferry across the bay to Chiba (would be 90% cyclists & golfers) and ride around Nokogiri - Tomi - Atago, catch the last boat back. Great views, climbs, fresh clean mountain air, fantastic roads, killer lunches

CC
Quote Reply