Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling and achilles tendon issues
Quote | Reply
Throughout my life I have experienced pain in my achilles tendons during bike rides over 40 miles. The pain isn't enough to stop me from riding but does limit how hard I can push during a ride. It has never gotten bad enough to where I'm unable to ride. I have experienced this when only training for cycling (ie not running).

Separately, I've had achilles tendons issues while running which have become severe enough to sideline me for days/weeks. However, at some point along the way I learned of eccentric heel drops and those have prevented further issues with running.

I'd like to solve the problem for cycling as well. I've tried adjusting my clipless pedal cleat position to try various configurations to no avail. Has anyone else experienced achilles tendon issues while cycling and been able to solve it?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and achilles tendon issues [moneyball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have. I moved my cleats as far back as they can go and that solved my problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moneyball wrote:
Has anyone else experienced achilles tendon issues while cycling and been able to solve it?
I have, but it was an acute problem from the seat being a bit low by accident.

In general, I think having the cleat far back helps.

Also, I think it's worth trying to find out what is causing the problem. I think lack of hip and ankle flexibility can contribute to this problem.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
moneyball wrote:
Throughout my life I have experienced pain in my achilles tendons during bike rides over 40 miles. The pain isn't enough to stop me from riding but does limit how hard I can push during a ride. It has never gotten bad enough to where I'm unable to ride. I have experienced this when only training for cycling (ie not running).

For me, avoiding any achilles tendon contact whatsoever with the shoe solved it. Nike Zoom Kigers (version 1 and 2) are perfect for runners. I don't know many cycling shoes with a soft enough or cut-out enough heel counter, though. But moving the cleat back helped, too.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Do you have insoles in your shoes that stabilize your foot well?
My Achilles sometimes flares up and I think it is do to a leg strength descrepeancy from a lateral release knee surgery in 1990.

I think the ankle/ Achilles rocks side to side more on the weaker leg if I am not paying attention. I notice the next day when it is sore, toe raises don't bother it, but if I turn my ankle in I can feel the pain.

You could try lowering your seat height a little as well or get a bike fit if you have not done that.

My arch has also collapsed or caved in a little over the years and that is why I asked about the insoles.

Disclaimer- I am not a triathlon athlete, just a cyclist that played too much basketball.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After about 10 years of dealing with this I solved it by putting a shim in the cleat of my shoe. The one side that had the Achilles issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and achilles tendon issues [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies - appreciate it. As suggested I've moved the cleats back as far as possible and, so far, that seems to do the trick.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and achilles tendon issues [robmitchell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped cycling completely(except for short trips here and there) to focus on staying healthy for running this winter. Riding lots on the bike seems to cause major issues in the run for my right Achilles, which is part of my previously & seriously damaged ankle. My left leg I have no issues no matter what I do.

With run training, including standard track workouts using flat shoes for the most part, I feel my ankle & lower leg is getting much stronger. My single leg stability has improved and I can actually stand on my toes.

For a few years of heavy cycling, I had no improvement.

I love cycling but I have to say the money is in the track owrk/running, if the approach is within your physical limits. Cycling is also rough on posture which causes problems for the swim and run.

So my bikes are kinda gathering dust :(. But that is what's great about triathlon, you can define your sport with another focus as required.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some times if its permanent damage thats occurred then the only thing that can help is a support or something that what a physio told me once.. but im not sure if he was just peddling one of his new supports or not. lol
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and achilles tendon issues [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing this up to ask a specific, related question: What tri cycling shoes have a soft heel counter that would be good for retrocalcaneal bursitis?

I cut the heel counter out of my running shoes and that really helps--any issues doing that to a cycling shoe?
Quote Reply