Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ([Little] Lake Sebago Area)
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone here has much experience with running and cycling around Windham, ME? If so, what routes/roads do you like to ride/run on? How would you rate the area overall for these activities? I'd be particularly interested in any comparison to Lake Winnipesaukee or White Mountains area.

Thank you!

Eric

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ([Little] Lake Sebago Area) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We rented a camp there for a week when I was in high school. Roads were pretty quiet, and I ran on the roads but don't remember any street names. Sorry, not much help, aside from that it's pretty quiet. :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ( [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
We rented a camp there for a week when I was in high school. Roads were pretty quiet, and I ran on the roads but don't remember any street names. Sorry, not much help, aside from that it's pretty quiet. :-)

Ha, thx, I guess. That's one thing that surprised me though, is that there seemed like quite a bit of traffic on the roads. It looks to me like most rides originating in Windham are going to require riding on 302 (roosevelt trail), 35/115/Chadbourne Rd, and/or 202. I didn't drive at all on 202, but 35 South of Windham looked terrible for cycling and 302/roosevelt trail also looked pretty unsafe.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ( [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't ride 302 at all. There are plenty of nice roads near there in Gray, North Yarmouth, Yarmouth (rt 9, 115, 231) as well as some smaller lakes and ponds to swim in with less boat traffic. You could also hit some nice roads around Cape Elizabeth and do some OWS in Scarborough. Sebago area will be pretty heavily congested in the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ( [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannysays wrote:
I wouldn't ride 302 at all. There are plenty of nice roads near there in Gray, North Yarmouth, Yarmouth (rt 9, 115, 231) as well as some smaller lakes and ponds to swim in with less boat traffic. You could also hit some nice roads around Cape Elizabeth and do some OWS in Scarborough. Sebago area will be pretty heavily congested in the summer.

Great, thank you!. So if you were going to originate a ride in Windham you would take 115 NE-ish towards Gray. That's very helpful. I had assumed staying near the lakes was most scenic, best riding.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ([Little] Lake Sebago Area) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of experience in the area. I would stay off 202 and 302 as much as possible this time of year. Really all year, but especially in peak tourist season. You didn't say how long you were looking to ride/run, but taking the 85 to the Valley Rd/ Egypt Rd/ N Raymond Rd area is low traffic and punishing hill after steep hill climb. For a longer ride, take the 115 to the 231 through the Pineland area for some relatively low traffic rollers in farm country (pretty good roads) or the 9 east past Bradbury Mt. Etc. Many of those roads you can make short or long loops back to Windham depending on what you have for fitness/time.For running I would head down the 237, or River Rd or cruise 114 if you are on the west side of the lake. I would compare the area much more to the East side of Winni than to the Whites. Some rollers and steep sections, but no sustained climbs like you get in the Whites.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ( [Big Ring Circus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Penny Road off of 115 near Pineland is fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling and Running in/around Windham, ME ( [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies guys, this is very helpful.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply