Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology
Quote | Reply
https://www.bloomberg.com/...ot-helmet-technology

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 3, 17 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they have several ambassadors using them actually. coaching icon david tilbury-davis has a pair. pro triathlete max fennell has a pair.

i have heard that they are pretty cool, but i imagine the frame makes it difficult for them to be good in the aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a bit heavy to run with as well. Though I'd like to have running data on a HUD.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.reconinstruments.com/products/jet/

Makes me think of these which have been out for a while. I have Recon's Snow2 skiing HUD in my Oakley ski goggles and its awesome - its information when you want it, but gone when you don't as the HUD is located in the lower right area of your eye.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how these will work for those of us that need reading glasses ???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if this were married to Garmin's Varia rearview radar it would be fantastic. Bing! Red dot moving up the side of the lens alerting you of traffic even with your head up and eyes on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
I think if this were married to Garmin's Varia rearview radar it would be fantastic. Bing! Red dot moving up the side of the lens alerting you of traffic even with your head up and eyes on the road.

That's a great idea !

I think Garmin are opening up ConnectIQ and linking products together is really the way forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, soon we are going to hear pro-cyclists talking to each other as if they are fighter pilots.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clydecat wrote:
I wonder how these will work for those of us that need reading glasses ???

Expect to pay a bunch for an rx version, if one is offered at all. though if you're just talking reading glasses, non-rx then you will probably be okay as I would assume there is or will be the ability to customize the size of the overlay.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
i have heard that they are pretty cool, but i imagine the frame makes it difficult for them to be good in the aero position.

+1 I need virtually no border on my glasses for the top rim to use when I'm in aero position. Probably wouldn't be too interested in this outside of aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:

Like this you mean?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...aria-vision-hud.html

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I really want is to see this stuff integrate into aero helmets. Plenty of room to store the battery, plenty of room to hide the electronics, display it on the integrated visor. Basically, the Giro Aerohead + any one of these systems wins my money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this new pair gets better battery life than the Recon Jet does. I was getting about 2 hours and then they would die, so I lost interest in them at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duckies wrote:
What I really want is to see this stuff integrate into aero helmets. Plenty of room to store the battery, plenty of room to hide the electronics, display it on the integrated visor. Basically, the Giro Aerohead + any one of these systems wins my money.

+1!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly one year ago today I wrote an entire post about Everysight. This was following a couple hour test ride I did with folks from Everysight that came to Paris and let me use a pair for the ride

The post had tons of tech details, great photos, and my opinions. Basically, my usual 'first look' type post (non-review).

Why don't you remember that post you ask? Because it's still on the server, 100% completed, awaiting the 'publish' button. The day I was set to publish it the company backed out and requested that I only use a single photo - from far away. I declined. We had ground rules for what could and couldn't be photographed on the prototype device (one specific component from one specific angle), which I had complied with.

So, I never published. For me, it's all or nothing. So nothing it was. Which was likely a mistake for them, since it was largely quite positive. It's now a year later, and the Bloomberg article doesn't really make it seem like they are actually any closer. Shrug.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooooof. Sorry to hear that. I think I agree with your sentiment but can say that I empathize with their position when they pulled the plug on you, whatever it may have been.

Full disclosure: I work in the same industry that is responsible for this product (and that's an intentionally vague statement).

In the same breath that I really really want to see products like this succeed, it's safe to say that it ain't easy, and composited images of a UI on a mountain road don't hold a lot of substance, especially when paired with phrases like "fighter pilot technology OMG."

+1 for the aero helmet use case, too! Addresses some low-hanging fruit!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Great, soon we are going to hear pro-cyclists talking to each other as if they are fighter pilots.

- I'm gonna go head-to-head with him.
- Take it easy. I'll see if he's really alone.
- He's coming right at us, Mav.
- Okay, buddy. What's on your mind?

Anyway, would like to see one for an aero visor...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that you wrote that Varia vision will work with the 935? If so, thoughts on running with it?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it a while back when it first came out, I think it was with the Vivoactive at the time.

Either way, what I found was that it bounced too much for my liking with running (due to the added weight). So it kinda made me sea-sick. Which, is quite a feat. I'm the guy that can sit in the back of a hot car swerving up the mountains well above the speed limit while reading a book and not get sick. So this...this was impressive.

But of course that's just me. For others it might be totally different. I suspect how snugly your glasses fit will be a key driver, as with things like the shape of your head.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I curious as to when we'll see the Laforge Shima and Dispelix type technology being used by Oakley, Garmin and others...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like they are getting closer to production? anybody try it? I think i would want to test it before buying.
cool website (looks like a great riding route)

https://everysight.com/about-raptor/

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Sunglasses With Fighter Pilot Technology [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently set up the vision hud with a 935, mostly because the future of the recon I have is a bit uncertain.

Definitely bounces a lot when running. If you have ONE field it is mostly readable. Any more and things jiggle too much to read easily.

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah, it's a great bike but the engine needs work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next