Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Power and Hard Swimming
Quote | Reply
Hello friends,

At the end of last season I increased my aerobar drop to (hopefully) improve aerodynamics. Despite the tighter hip angle, my threshold power in the aero position has improved from last year in open (no swim) time trial efforts.

However, in my first race of the season yesterday I struggled to feel strong on the bike. For the 20k course I was only able to hold my Olympic distance power from last year. When I sat up my power increased to what I had expected to do, but I was disappointed with the achy/weak feeling in my legs while riding in the aerobars. It felt like my glutes & hamstrings were too fatigued to produce adequate force...

I am wondering; does the swim portion affect one's ability to produce power with an acute hip angle? Is there specific muscle fatigue that occurs during hard swimming that requires a more open hip to produce threshold power? It seems to me that pro triathletes generally ride with a less aggressive hip position relative to pro cyclists in a time trial; could this be due to the effects of the swim in triathlon?

My swim fitness has improved this year, so I don't see that being the factor in my poor cycling performance. I have also been a bit fatigued lately, but I felt great on the run so I don't think that poor form could be the only explanation here. I have an important race in two weeks and I am hoping to ride powerfully! Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Power and Hard Swimming [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts?...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My only thought is that you are over swimming in the race and its hurting your cycling power. In terms of your glutes and hamstrings lacking power, it could be early in the bike your blood is hunted to your upper body but that should adjust in minutes. I have seen the opposite. I have done a ton of hard swimming and seen my cycling power bump up by over 5 percent. But I have not done a tri so I don't know if I will see that bump in cycling power after swimming faster. In theory a high tide lifts all boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you practice swim to bike bricks? If you are over swimming in a race you might not have 'the legs' to bike with power. I've found that when I dial back my swim by 2 mins my HR is spiked less and can begin cycling stronger sooner.

Happy Training!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Power and Hard Swimming [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had this issue in the past. I have found that riding the first few minutes rather "slowly" really helped. I am a swimmer by trade so the PE on the swim is not so much, but dialing back the first mile on the bike or so really helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much kicking do you do?

How much time do you give your body to adjust to changed positions (swim to on the bike)?

How much time have you had a hard swim and then later had a bike?

MAYBE those questions might get you headed in the right direction???

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Power and Hard Swimming [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That explains a bunch.

I have noticed that in a shorter race, where you tend to apply power asap that I would be panting for quite some time before I could get breathing under control (I don't wear a HR monitor in a race). In longer races (half and full IM) you tend to back off anyway, so that has never happened.

Coincidentally I mirrored that in the gym with a swim, quick change and run the other day and HR was several beats above normal for the speed and wouldn't come back down no matter what. Because most people don't have the opportunity to swim and bike straight away or we take a long time in between in training, this would never be noticed until race day. I should think that going from swim to a spin with T1 speed at the gym, might get similar results.
Quote Reply